• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown now leave?

• Yes

Votes: 233 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 53 14.9%
  • 3 more games

Votes: 69 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
for those who don't read graphs well, the summary doesn't mince its words..................absolutely withering.

Southend’s underlying numbers looked poor for much of last season, so their late slide wasn’t a massive surprise to me, and it seems as though their problems have continued beyond the summer. The Shrimpers appear to be lacking a cutting edge up front while their formerly resilient defence is struggling to soak up shots as they did last term.

I'm not defending those stats ... but ... Charlton are clearly in the most positive section on each graph when they're only 13th in the table. Bolton and Millwall aren't as clearly in those sections and yet they're 1st and 5th in the table.

As they say, 'the table never lies'.

I'm not defending those stats ... but ... Charlton are clearly in the most positive section on each graph when they're only 13th in the table. Bolton and Millwall aren't as clearly in those sections and yet they're 1st and 5th in the table.

As they say, 'the table never lies'.

The stats tell us we are crap
The table tells us we are crap
Our eyes tell us we are crap

DOnt really see any other way of dressing it up

It's proper odd that Rigsby hasn't been on here much this week hmmmm. Could he of realised he was wrong? Face up to it like a man fella! We can both want Brown out together as allies. Together Everyone Achieves More. TEAM

It's proper odd that Rigsby hasn't been on here much this week hmmmm. Could he of realised he was wrong? Face up to it like a man fella! We can both want Brown out together as allies. Together Everyone Achieves More. TEAM

Has Rigsby and Mr Horton ever been seen in the same room at the same time:smile:

PB has totally now lost all my confidence. It's been dwindling for some time and after the last few weeks of totally utterly appalling mismanagement he needs to go now without doubt....

for those who don't read graphs well, the summary doesn't mince its words..................absolutely withering.

Southend’s underlying numbers looked poor for much of last season, so their late slide wasn’t a massive surprise to me, and it seems as though their problems have continued beyond the summer. The Shrimpers appear to be lacking a cutting edge up front while their formerly resilient defence is struggling to soak up shots as they did last term.

Funnily enough, I doubt whether the underlying numbers of the entirety of Brown's reign have been that great because of the style of football played. The team spirit and positive dressing room atmosphere allowed the players to grind results out in the face of the **** instructions they get given, but we haven't even got that anymore.

Quote from his talk to the press today: "We haven’t started a season as poorly as we have this one this year. But that’s probably down to a run of teams we are playing against."

What number excuse is that one? Wait for deadline day, then we couldn't sign the players we wanted, then it's all because of injuries, then because the players don't care, now it's because the opposition are half-decent (shock).

Brown will not be removed until he has a team which includes Anton, Ranger and Cox playing games and still getting beaten. Until then, which I hope happens - the 3 guys playing, not the getting beaten, - then Phil will be here to stay.
Until Christmas has past anyway before any firm decision by Ron unless we ship 3/4 for next few games:blush: it is all so messy it is hard to know or guess what will happen BUT Ron has shown backing and we ought to acknowledge that.

Brown will not be removed until he has a team which includes Anton, Ranger and Cox playing games and still getting beaten. Until then, which I hope happens - the 3 guys playing, not the getting beaten, - then Phil will be here to stay.
Until Christmas has past anyway before any firm decision by Ron unless we ship 3/4 for next few games:blush: it is all so messy it is hard to know or guess what will happen BUT Ron has shown backing and we ought to acknowledge that.

Super! Better start preparing for away days in League 2 next season then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footballis is a results business,our poor run stretches to over 25 games,it's frankly been appalling.

The 3 guys you mention.

Cox look's overweight to me..,unless Phil plays him with another forward...he ain't scoring many.
Ranger cannot be relied upon simply because he hasn't played football for 2 year's.
Ferdy is another guy who has hardly played.

I admire your optimism though.

Footballis is a results business,our poor run stretches to over 25 games,it's frankly been appalling.

The 3 guys you mention.

Cox look's overweight to me..,unless Phil plays him with another forward...he ain't scoring many.
Ranger cannot be relied upon simply because he hasn't played football for 2 year's.
Ferdy is another guy who has hardly played.

I admire your optimism though.
Are you on medication ? A coherent, accurate, well thought out post, i'm missing the old mrsblue already lol

Upon reflection I have chilled:winking:

Now where's my tabs

MrsBlue is spot on, sad to say Ferdinand has not been a good player for years, or played...agree on Cox, I know he is not tall, but he looks like a bit of a Paul Byrne (if only his shot was as good) ranger? Who knows what his fitness will ever be? We can't pin our hopes on these lot, again as Paul Clark said, games don't wait for you.

So. What a shambles we seem to be in.

I have been a Brown convert and have, thus far, been in the "Better the Devil you know" camp.

But I do believe we are reaching - or have possibly even reached - tipping point.

Let's look at the common criticisms of PB and I'll offer my take.

He's not a good tactician
I would say "au contraire". He actually has a reputation among other managers for being a very good tactician. He is frequently changing systems, formations and teams to try and counter the opposition. Bad tacticians don't do that; they just play one style and that's that. PB's problem is that unfortunately it doesn't always work, which makes him more unlucky than bad.

He doesn't have a plan B.
Disagree - see above. The trouble is that he has Plans A-F, but isn't always sure which one is the best to use.

His media work gets in the way
I have no problem with this. We could never afford PB if we were his only source of income and it massively raises the profile of the club. In theory his contacts are top class and he has brought Premier League fitness to our players, a quality that has made us one of the fittest teams in the league (up to the end of last season).

He's lost the dressing room
I doubt it. He may have lost a couple of players, but by and large these guys are pro footballers. They will want to win. You only have to see the reaction when things do go well (not often this season, granted) to see how much it means.

Now having said all of that, it's clear that something isn't right. We are short of experienced personnel and have padded out the very small squad with kids. Our important players are AWOL for a number of reasons.

PB said last week that there were some members who simply didn't care. Now I have my own view on who these may be but we are kind of stuck. We can only sign free agents who aren't going to be fit, so it therefore looks like we are stuck with who we have until January.

Let's look at some of the player issues PB may be facing.

Goalkeeper

Ted Smith isn't ready yet. He is a season away. Oxley just can't make any saves for some reason, everything that is shot at him goes in and you can't actually say he is to blame. It's bizarre.

Right back

An embarrassment of riches with the players here... White, Demetriou, O'Neill and Leonard all can play there. White may not be everyone's favourite but is certainly good enough for L1. Demetriou is a full international and is easily L1 standard. O'Neill is an enigma... absolute quality player but is probably the most disappointing PB signing of all. But overall, pick White or Demetriou and we're cool.

Left back

Coker when fit is a shoe in for most L1 teams. Kyprianou has had a blinding start but the honeymoon is over for him, defensively he isn't up to L1 standard.. yet. But when Cokes is back fit, no problems.

Centre backs

Barrett, Thompson, Sokolik, Ferdinand, Innis. The trouble is that AB is old but committed, yet captain. Thompson is a decent lad but I'm not convinced he is always good enough for L1... same as Sokolik. Ferdinand obviosuly has the talent but 3-4 years of non competitive football at 31... bloody hell, the hamstring is absolutely going to be tested. Watch - next it'll be a groin. Then a calf. And even then he's not overly tall. Innis is the one who gives the height and we absolutely need him, no question. We signed him thinking he'd escape jail and he has, albeit on appeal. The only reason we got him was for his height. He's young as well so may well have some pace too. It's a no brainer... we can cut the self righteous bit, loads of players have been in trouble with the law, it's what is a danger to young men - kids even - with too much money.We need to think of points on the pitch and he must be part of it. So, for me, the giant Innis alongside Thompson or Sokolik. Let's not get too hung up on Innis, after all, Collymore was apparently a bit of a problem when he joined us, also from Palace.

Midfield

I know that here we have limitations. Bridge is a good prospect but hasn't made the same impact as Jack Payne did and truth known has been forced into 1st team action a few months too early. Atkinson and Leonard are the same player energy wise and Lenny should play further forward but doesn't as he is essentially a defensive player. Wordsworth can make it happen but get's injured in his sleep; there is no hope. The original sicknote. Timlin has fitness issues and I believe has suffered another setback. McGlashan and McLaughlin are ideal wide players but they just haven't performed. McGlashan just needs to play as he did at Roots Hall for every other team he's played for. I know McLaughlin has 3 goals, but one tap in and two keeper howlers... he also for me didn't look like he cared v Fleetwood. Poor attitude.The other midfielders in the squad are kids, none of whom are anywhere near ready for L1. This is a huge problem area. Personally, if all fit, I would play Lenny and Wordsworth in the middle, with Leonard playing deeper. Either of the Macca's on one side, Timlin on the other. King? Not up to it in my book. O'Neill should never be allowed near the midfield again.

Forwards

Ranger plays 20 mins and we score 3 away at Sheff Utd. Will he ever play again? I never thought 1 player would make such a difference. Cox - good pedigree, but wasted. Mooney - can score at this level but needs service. Williams is not up to L1.

All in all, our whole season seems to focus on Ranger, Ferdinand, Innis and Cox.

But questions about the recruitment policy must be asked.

All this stuff he is telling them (according to AB), I'm sure it is only trying to instill self belief, no problem with that, he's been trying for 2 years to drun that in.

Time is running out though... I think personally if we are at or near the bottom at end October, he's gone. And every game that passes becomes a game that makes his position more untenable.

I want a 20 match unbeaten run with us near the top and PB saying "I told you so."

Chances? - Very slim indeed.

Last edited:
From many of the posts it appears that the request PB made to judge him on his signings is evident BUT those signings need to get some games in.
If we had a fit squad we may be ok, and that is possibly the way Ron will be looking at it - how Ron deals with the other issues of PB which are coming to the fore with every public utterance is something else.

I have a nasty feeling that the more the fans want Brown out, the more Ron Martin will back him.

Ron know us fans know nothing, and if Brown turns it round ( and I sincerely hope he does) it will prove Ron right.

There's an interesting article on the back of the Echo this morning. It features PB and his awareness of the growing frustration of the fans. It's not worth paraphrasing as the Echo will post it here before long, but there is one quote which had me confused, not sure whether it's his use of English or the Echo's class reporting:

"I'm probably one of the top 10 or 15 managers in terms of in time at their club in English football and when that combines with not starting well people will look at you and ask if its time for you to go."

For me, it's about the results, not the length of time at the club. No doubt you will all have your views.

Last edited:
I have a nasty feeling that the more the fans want Brown out, the more Ron Martin will back him.

Ron know us fans know nothing, and if Brown turns it round ( and I sincerely hope he does) it will prove Ron right.

PB stays we will get relegated. Ron won't want that. If we are still in the mire in November Ron has to get rid

Back