• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo says he likes the idea of coming back to his home area, but he also has big money offers on the table from other clubs, (I'd assume Championship). We've offered him the best deal possible... Hopefully the idea of coming back to the area on a little less money will entice him!

I thought the reason we let Kightly go because he was a late developer. I saw him after the Scarborough home cup match and his football bag was nearly as big as him. I read later on that Harry Redknap, while at Spurs, was going to let Michael Carrick leave as there were concerns about his size and stature. Spurs had the resources to persevere with him and he turned into a late developer the same as Kightly has grown.

We should have lodged Kightley with Michael Ricketts

Echo says he likes the idea of coming back to his home area, but he also has big money offers on the table from other clubs, (I'd assume Championship). We've offered him the best deal possible... Hopefully the idea of coming back to the area on a little less money will entice him!

Would be a huge coup. Hopefully he feels there's a lot of unfinished business here and has a point to prove

Blues boss Brown steps up his pursuit of Kightly

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has stepped up his pursuit of Michael Kightly.

More...

I am not taking this as any more than Phil's annual attempt to deflect pressure onto Ron in the wake of a quiet pre-season in terms of signings.

He tends to do this every summer. Make a big noise about going for a big name, then when it doesn't happen it looks like he has been making loads of effort only to be foiled by Ron not getting his chequebook out. Classic deflection tactic and a clever one. He certainly knows how to use the media to his advantage.

Burton might be doing okay at the moment but they are not a "sleeping giant" like Southend. When did Burton ever reach three LDV finals or have Bobby Moore as manager?

We are certainly having one ****ing great long sleep !

Ipswich and Sheffield United were rumoured to be interested in him so it would be quite a coup if we were to get him.

If this is the case then i could see this as a better option to us. He could still move back this way and still then play in the Champ rather then L1 and assume that Ipshite can afford higher wages than us

I am not taking this as any more than Phil's annual attempt to deflect pressure onto Ron in the wake of a quiet pre-season in terms of signings.

He tends to do this every summer. Make a big noise about going for a big name, then when it doesn't happen it looks like he has been making loads of effort only to be foiled by Ron not getting his chequebook out. Classic deflection tactic and a clever one. He certainly knows how to use the media to his advantage.

I would rather us go for big names people have actually heard of than big names such as Stefan Ponewojka.

Others with more insider info than me seem to suggest he didnt exactly give his all when with us. If thats the case it would be nice to think that part he recognises the part we played in his career and that he would like some reparation and show what he can do. He would be a good signing at this level but Im about to upset the apple cart by offering my view that he is not the player he was and in recent couple of seasons, admittedly based on watching him in a few games on the tele, I didnt think he performed that well at the higher level, so maybe a deal could be on the table

Used the same tactic last year. What were those big names he mentioned again....... Cox and Ferdinand if I remember right.

Would be a huge coup. Hopefully he feels there's a lot of unfinished business here and has a point to prove

With just two League appearances (and a handful of substitutions) it's more like unstarted business.

Others with more insider info than me seem to suggest he didnt exactly give his all when with us. If thats the case it would be nice to think that part he recognises the part we played in his career and that he would like some reparation and show what he can do. He would be a good signing at this level but Im about to upset the apple cart by offering my view that he is not the player he was and in recent couple of seasons, admittedly based on watching him in a few games on the tele, I didnt think he performed that well at the higher level, so maybe a deal could be on the table

Burton fans loved him so he must have done pretty well for them in the Championship to be fair.

So we can offer more money I'm assuming, strange considering Burton get at least 10mil a season being in the Championship.

I doubt that, however wages would surely be more important if Kightly went to Burton as he has no links to the area. If he was to re-join Southend it wouldn't be for money.

Well, know body can question RM and PB ambition with the players we've signed over the last couple of seasons. Every pre season we're always looking at signing better players than have left and we always have and the squad is improving every year.

I doubt that, however wages would surely be more important if Kightly went to Burton as he has no links to the area. If he was to re-join Southend it wouldn't be for money.

Burton did very well to stay up last year but are likely to be in a relegation battle. Whilst he would be dropping down a league being part of a potential promotion push, and a key player in that, maybe a more appealing proposition.

A lot will depend on his financial situation; if he has been sensible, the level he has been playing at, he could be a wealthy man.....then again not all footballers are known for their financial acumen.

Back