• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Used the same tactic last year. What were those big names he mentioned again....... Cox and Ferdinand if I remember right.

You miss my point. IIRC he never talked about Cox and Ferdinand before they signed, they were a pleasant surprise to most fans. What he is likely to be up to with Kightly is deliberately talking up his interest, deflecting fans' frustrations at lack of activity towards Ron, before getting another deal over the line a little bit further along (possibly Forrester?).

Relax, I'm not slagging him off. In fact, it's a pretty clever bit of management.

You miss my point. IIRC he never talked about Cox and Ferdinand before they signed, they were a pleasant surprise to most fans. What he is likely to be up to with Kightly is deliberately talking up his interest, deflecting fans' frustrations at lack of activity towards Ron, before getting another deal over the line a little bit further along (possibly Forrester?).

Relax, I'm not slagging him off. In fact, it's a pretty clever bit of management.

I highly doubt this is simply Brown deflecting any possible frustrations, if it wasn't a serious attempt to sign him then why are the Kightly talks continuing today? Why would MK even bother to come in again if he wasn't at least semi-interested in a return? Money must have been discussed if they talked all day yesterday so we can't be offering p***-take wages to Kightly. Besides in the past week we've signed Hendrie and it now looks nailed-on that Turner will sign too. I think the fans should be reasonably happy thus far, after all we only just missed out on the play-offs so major surgery isn't needed provided Lenny stays and both Hendrie/Turner look good signings to me.

I highly doubt this is simply Brown deflecting any possible frustrations, if it wasn't a serious attempt to sign him then why are the Kightly talks continuing today? Why would MK even bother to come in again if he wasn't at least semi-interested in a return? Money must have been discussed if they talked all day yesterday so we can't be offering p***-take wages to Kightly. Besides in the past week we've signed Hendrie and it now looks nailed-on that Turner will sign too. I think the fans should be reasonably happy thus far, after all we only just missed out on the play-offs so major surgery isn't needed provided Lenny stays.

Quite- if there is a second day of discussions then there must at least be something to talk about- maybe length of contract, guaranteed doubling of wages if we go back up etc. At 31 its not just about this years money so a few angles. Still got to believe its unlikely but this tells me theres a chance of some sort which justifies the effort.

With just two League appearances (and a handful of substitutions) it's more like unstarted business.

Absolutely right! He got his first run out for the 1st team in Tilly's testimonial when Stewart Robson was in charge of the 1st team. Kightly was only 16, possibly 17, and Stewart told me at that stage what a fabulous kid he was and that he was certain he would play at a high level.

He was later released by the club, can't remember who by, but Stewart was proved right.

Would welcome Kightly back with open arms!!

Surely this deal has to be a non starter, how can we compete with championship clubs in terms of wages ? Will be something else if he decides to come back to roots hall.

Being near to family and friends must be attractive although the difference between L1 & Champ wages is night and day!

You would of thought the attraction of the Essex Riviera and the sorts in our local nightclubs would attract most!!!!!

Same could have been said of Cox and Ferdinand?

Depends on what the championship clubs are offering I suppose, if a championship club really wants somebody as a 1st team regular we don't stand a chance in competing wage wise. I'd guess from the Ferdinand and Cox situation that a key players wage here isn't too different to a squad player in the championship. When there isn't much in the wages other things come into play, location, manager (people knock PB but players want to play for him), regular 1st team action etc.

Surely this deal has to be a non starter, how can we compete with championship clubs in terms of wages ? Will be something else if he decides to come back to roots hall.

Several scenarios, a few might be......

If a championship club have used all their wage budget already on other players then we can offer more.

A championship club might want to sign kightly as a squad player and offer him a cheap contract.

We could be breaking the bank to sign him? (Hope not)

Being near to family and friends must be attractive although the difference between L1 & Champ wages is night and day!

You would of thought the attraction of the Essex Riviera and the sorts in our local nightclubs would attract most!!!!!

The age of player we sign are more likely to favour Mecca bingo over nightclubs:smile:

Over the last year he has possibly earnt millions in wages.

At certain points it's not just about money. He is a basildon boy and may after all of these years just want to play closer to his roots. All of that said, I'm sure he will be on 3kpw+ with us with multiple clauses ie a doubling of wage of we went up.

Without doubt he could earn probably 5k+pw elsewhere but it all comes down to PB and Ron's sales skills and Michaels desire and ideas at this point of his career.

Personally would love him back here, and it would be a massive statement of intent should he come home.

...wouldn't it be something else if we discovered he had flown out to Spain this afternoon.....

He used to coach Em at girls football and all Brown needs to basically do is guarantee him football. He got offers from Man Yoo but wasn't prepared to go there and not play so it's not all about the money for him.

He used to coach Em at girls football and all Brown needs to basically do is guarantee him football. He got offers from Man Yoo but wasn't prepared to go there and not play so it's not all about the money for him.

At this level he'd be one of the first names on the teamsheet, particularly seeing as Burton fans raved about him in the Championship last year.

There is also at the age of 31 the chance of success as a footballer on the field. If finances are not a huge issue then the chance of a promotion, play off victory, maybe even a league one championship winners medal, might be more of a pull than scraping together 50 points and earning 50k a year more at Burton or similar?

Different scenario to Lenny, Kightly has been there, and earnt the cash already and should be comfortably set up for life. Lenny isn't, and an extra grand or two a week is a much bigger difference.

Back