• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chico Hamilton(Number 10) doing a George Best on George Best whilst playing for Aston Villa at Old Trafford. The sort of thing he did many times for Southend.

[video=youtube;ZRqc-5YtwDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRqc-5YtwDo[/video]

If that is the case, I reckon it must have been the warmest November day on record....I can see a young boy in the crowd in a tee-shirt. Wonder if people were getting themselves into an irrational panic about global warming back in the fifties?

Historic weather records (is there anything you can't find on the internet ?) suggest that it was no more than 5 degrees and raining much of the time on that November day. As you rightly say, the picture suggests better weather.

I'm sure this has been covered before, but is the EJ Teddy Grant sign still around at the club?

I hope it's not been scrapped!

Wonder if the club has thought of having a small museum somewhere, or even just a section in the Southend Museum, where stuff like this could reside.

Maybe something for the new stadium.

Wonder if the club has thought of having a small museum somewhere, or even just a section in the Southend Museum, where stuff like this could reside.

Maybe something for the new stadium.

Trouble is the club has very few historical items of its own. Even some things that would hold some historical value in the future they sell on eBay!
Most of the stuff would have to be loaned by fans
I doubt any space for a museum at the new ground would amount to little more than a small display case in an area where most normal fans would not go.

That was my first ever game !! FACup November 1955.Def. not 1957-58 as our no.11 is Johnny McGuigan, not short,bald Bill Punton,who came later to us in exchange for McGuigan!

You could be right Zeuss, but so could the later game theory be right. The kit was different to that shown in the photo for the 55/56 season. The weather looks too mild for November. The crowd looks too big for 15,000. Also, McGuigan was still playing in the 57/58 season. You are spot on about him and Punton being swapped(McGuigan to Newcastle) but that was in July 1958 for the 58/59 season. https://www.11v11.com/teams/southend-united/tab/players/season/1958/

Out of interest, when the North Bank was for home fans, where did the away fans stand? Or was it not segregated back in those days!? :whistling:

Sat 14th October 1978. 4-0 To Southend. Gerry Fell with 2, Yates and Pountney the scorers. Gerry Fell played for Brighton scoring 19 goals in 79 appearances between 1974-77, but they had another player in his position who they rated more highly(Tony Towner). So Gerry Fell was included in the deal when they finally got the sought after Paul Clark from Southend. Gerry Fell then scored 10 goals in 45 appearances for us. Considering he was a winger, that is a really good goal scoring record.

c1f12710241156cd1d3c78c3ab9e3dcb.jpg

That match was my first date with the Mrs! She never thanked me for it..

Out of interest, when the North Bank was for home fans, where did the away fans stand? Or was it not segregated back in those days!? :whistling:

The away fans went in the old South Bank, usually right in the middle behind the goal. There was no segregation as the rest of the stand tended to be Southend fans spread out. Sometimes it was friendly banter. Sometimes the away fans had some coppers around them and sometimes there was trouble especially if some of the North Bank switched to the South via the back of the West Stand. If the away team was expected to have a huge following, then Southend fans were advised to not go in the South Stand. When Vic Jobson knocked down the South Bank to build the flats, then what was left was all away fans only(Standing).

I certainly remember a time when the away fans were mainly located in the small standing paddock area below the seating at the south-end of the main (East) stand. I recall a few games where the original south bank was given to away fans if they were bringing a large following, and once it was cut right down so the flats could be built it became the default away end, until that stand was rebuilt as it is today hence away fans being moved to the north stand.

And I recall a cup game against Millwall where their fans decided any part of the ground was the away end.

When do you mean?
I posted similar the other day that we never had proper segregation until the South Bank was chopped down so from around 1989 away fans were put in what was left of the South Bank but even that was divided into two sections. Sometimes teams had the whole South Bank but other times the South West part of the West Stand and part of the South was used for home fans.
This carried on until the new South Stand was built, can't remember the exact date in the mid 90's.
Before 1989 there was sometimes segregation for cup games and the odd league game when big away support was expected, using either the North Bank or the South Bank.

We used to change ends at half time some games as in the early days you could walk from one end to the other.

I certainly remember a time when the away fans were mainly located in the small standing paddock area below the seating at the south-end of the main (East) stand. I recall a few games where the original south bank was given to away fans if they were bringing a large following, and once it was cut right down so the flats could be built it became the default away end, until that stand was rebuilt as it is today hence away fans being moved to the north stand.

And I recall a cup game against Millwall where their fans decided any part of the ground was the away end.

Yep the Black seats and South Paddock were also used for away fans but I think it was mainly when the South Bank was being demolished.

Millwall were given the Black seats for the FA cup game in 1993. They took a few of the seats apart that night!

One league game against Millwall in 1983 Millwall fans were in the South Bank. It started chucking it down they then moved themselves to the South Paddock and into the West Stand pretty much without anyone stopping them. Probably only about 500 Millwall but pretty much all of them nutters.

In the case of some clubs, they stood in the North Bank, as well!

Usually after they had invaded the pitch at half-time!

In the case of some clubs, they stood in the North Bank, as well!

Usually after they had invaded the pitch at half-time!

Can remember about 15 Aldershot fans coming into the North Bank before kick off. Not many Southend in there, but managed to hold them off thanks to one bloke can't remember his name swinging his crash helmet into a few of them. Im not sure even Ginger and his lot were in the ground at the time i think it was about 30 mins before kick off.
Just checked the game it was 15th March 1986 we won on the pitch as well 2-0. Attendance 1,505. Mind you that was up 500 on the previous home crowd!

Can remember about 15 Aldershot fans coming into the North Bank before kick off. Not many Southend in there, but managed to hold them off thanks to one bloke can't remember his name swinging his crash helmet into a few of them. Im not sure even Ginger and his lot were in the ground at the time i think it was about 30 mins before kick off.
Just checked the game it was 15th March 1986 we won on the pitch as well 2-0. Attendance 1,505. Mind you that was up 500 on the previous home crowd!
I was there with my leg in plaster with a crutch , the Aldershot just ran straight past us , then seconds later ran back again .
The visor of the crash helmet left its mark on one face I remember .

Found these Programme Cover Photos from 87/88

Two Dicks (3).jpg

Dream Team (2).jpg

Not our finest moments!!

Attachments

• Two Dicks (2).jpg
    Two Dicks (2).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 16
Back