• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Am I imagining it or are players more prepared to come here with SCP in charge than they have been in the past?

Am I imagining it or are players more prepared to come here with SCP in charge than they have been in the past?

No you’re not imagining it. Certainly not recent past anyway. Phil Brown’s reputation is the game is poor. He was a huge reason why we struggled to make signings. He’s now having the same issues at Swindon.

It’s hard to tell how much of it is the manager and how much is the new earlier transfer deadline, although it looks as though Swindon are struggling to sign anyone.

What has been interesting about our business is that we had a list of names that came out a few weeks ago and of those Hopper, Mantom and Hyam have all signed, only Vassell went elsewhere and even then it was the division above.

DhG2UlpWkAM9bjw.jpg:large

It’s hard to tell how much of it is the manager and how much is the new earlier transfer deadline, although it looks as though Swindon are struggling to sign anyone.

What has been interesting about our business is that we had a list of names that came out a few weeks ago and of those Hopper, Mantom and Hyam have all signed, only Vassell went elsewhere and even then it was the division above.

Vassell and Lyle Taylor, but your point still stands.

It has to be a positive thing to be getting all these signings in for the start of pre-season (Hyam's a couple of days late).

I hope we still look at some triallists in pre-season and uncover some players for our u23s who can push for a place as the season progresses.

Vassell and Lyle Taylor, but your point still stands.

It has to be a positive thing to be getting all these signings in for the start of pre-season (Hyam's a couple of days late).

I hope we still look at some triallists in pre-season and uncover some players for our u23s who can push for a place as the season progresses.

I didn’t realise we had been officially linked with Taylor but Vassell plus the three we have signed were mentioned in an article together, I believe.

Although Taylor ended up at Charlton, which is much more local for him and are a bigger club than us, so as you say, point still stands I suppose.

Does anyone know if Wabo or the club took up the year extension option to his contract, I cant find anything online and there hasn't been an update in the Contracts thread... So i'm guessing he hasn't yet.

Would be a shame to lose him.

I can't help but wonder if this is loosely connected by possibly our last signing being a striker, ie to see how the Wabo deal pans out, in terms of budget.

Barnet have agreed a fee with an un-named club for John Akinde.

I would quite like to see him joining us, but I doubt it's us. (as it involves a fee).

He would probably bag as many league goals as MAF or Theo did last season.

Rumour is that he is heading to either Cowley's Lincoln or AFC Wimbledon.

Barnet have agreed a fee with an un-named club for John Akinde.

I would quite like to see him joining us, but I doubt it's us. (as it involves a fee).

He would probably bag as many league goals as MAF or Theo did last season.

Rumour is that he is heading to either Cowley's Lincoln or AFC Wimbledon.

If he’s going to either of those clubs, then I’d be disappointed if the only reason he wasn’t joining us (assuming we wanted him) was because we couldn’t compete financially with AFC Wimbledon or Lincoln.

I guess we shall see whether or not he was on our target list in due course. I’d happily take him.

I was thinking the same thing Spiff. I think (hope) we could equally match them both on financial clout, i'm guessing it's AFC Wimbledon, as he gets to play Division One football and not have to move away from his current home, as it's only an hour down the road. Obviously could make no difference at all, if he currently lives somewhere in the middle between them, say around Brentford for example.

I would also gladly see him in a Southend shirt, yes he suffered an ankle injury last season, but his past performance suggests given he is fit, injury free, I think he could easily get 7-10 goals for us in a season

Last edited:
I’ve been banging the Akinde drum for years. Will be really disappointed if he goes to Lincoln or Wimbledon.

I too have always hoped that Akinde would one day sign for us. He had his least productive season in terms of goals last season but he struggled with an injury.
Prior to that he had 3 great goal scoring seasons and is a real handdul. Pace, power together with good hold up play.

Unfortunately for us the big man is heading for Lincoln after they had a bid accepted last Thursday and he completed his medical on the Saturday. Still a couple of contract issues to sort out but it is more or less done. The Cowley's have been after a striker for 6 months...one who they believe will take them to the next level.

Unfortunately for Lincoln the "next level" would involve them playing some football so think they're screwed.

Back