• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

it might well be that, rather than not being able to compete, he's a big priority for them but not for us. We have Cox and Hopper already so we won't, and shouldn't, shell out big bucks for another striker. We can probably find someone for that role on a free

Really don’t think we need another winger, we’ll have the same amount as last year plus if need he id play JD at RM and Bwoms at RB, Deme a better attacker than he is defender, so if Powell was really struggling for someone to put on the wing you’d still have 4 players

Whilst relatively quiet on the Premiership front in terms of transfer activity , with 5 weeks to go until the window shuts , our league is flying, notching up the 100th signing yesterday., Who would believe we would be lying joint 5th in terms of the numbers brought in. !!?
4 clubs between them have signed up 34 players !! averaging nine. Peterborough lead again with 10, Plymouth 9, Coventry 8 and Blackpool 7. It will be interesting to see whether such larger numbers coming in lead to success or failure ? Sunderland have suddenly cracked on moving from nil to join us on 6 and without splashing any of their £30m prize for failure.
Suddenly season long loans are coming into the picture, shifting quickly from just one to 12 in the last couple of weeks, representing over 10% now of business done. Im still wondering whether Sir CP might go for one of these given his connections? Barnsley and Burton yet to make a move
Its fantastic to see us finally getting to grips with enabling a squad to be brought together early and I note similar comments on the importance of doing so from Dave Huzzey, who reckons he has a very good youth squad, already pre season training, that might win the league this time?

Quality is relatively more important than numbers - just ask Bury - although sufficiency of bodies and competition for places is important.

I’ve not been blown away by any signings made by other clubs in our league so far. Some will surprise but I am really hopeful that we’ll be challenging hard this year, perhaps with a sniff of autos if we’re lucky

Really don’t think we need another winger, we’ll have the same amount as last year plus if need he id play JD at RM and Bwoms at RB, Deme a better attacker than he is defender, so if Powell was really struggling for someone to put on the wing you’d still have 4 players

Got two wingers both with not particularly good injury records. Back up a non-league unknown quantity and a right back spells to me we definitely need another winger.

Really don’t think we need another winger, we’ll have the same amount as last year

True, but PB liked to play centre mids on one of the wings so we didn't need that many, Powell hopefully will have 2 wingers on the pitch at all times.

We're just a striker and a wide midfielder away from a complete squad.

What's the chances of Ba playing a part this season? I think he was signed on a whim by PB to silence critics about needing a striker. For a while now we've been asking for a pacey striker and under CP I feel he could be it.

Whilst relatively quiet on the Premiership front in terms of transfer activity , with 5 weeks to go until the window shuts , our league is flying, notching up the 100th signing yesterday., Who would believe we would be lying joint 5th in terms of the numbers brought in. !!?
4 clubs between them have signed up 34 players !! averaging nine. Peterborough lead again with 10, Plymouth 9, Coventry 8 and Blackpool 7. It will be interesting to see whether such larger numbers coming in lead to success or failure ? Sunderland have suddenly cracked on moving from nil to join us on 6 and without splashing any of their £30m prize for failure.
Suddenly season long loans are coming into the picture, shifting quickly from just one to 12 in the last couple of weeks, representing over 10% now of business done. Im still wondering whether Sir CP might go for one of these given his connections? Barnsley and Burton yet to make a move
Its fantastic to see us finally getting to grips with enabling a squad to be brought together early and I note similar comments on the importance of doing so from Dave Huzzey, who reckons he has a very good youth squad, already pre season training, that might win the league this time?

It is note-worthy - good post.

It is probably too early to tell but I am hoping that we are starting to see the beginning of some difficulties for those players who are "happy" to sit on the books of clubs with larger finances.

In the past the loan market still gave these players (and the clubs) opportunities to play competitive football ............. but that option is shrinking.

And now I am hoping that the other changes to transfer dates will see (over a couple of years) players realise that they might be better dropping down a division than sitting in the reserves.

We might instead see players willing to talk to Southend United at an early stage of the summer than we have seen in the past.

I was thinking earlier how different things are this year. Chris Phillips doesn't seem to have quoted Chris Powell much at all over the summer, both in terms of incoming transfer targets or indeed much else.
A gentleman's agreement maybe that this is the best way to ensure we get in the players we want without alerting other clubs? Or is Chris just a bit smarter with the media?
Anyone got any info about the final pieces to SCP's jigsaw?

I was thinking earlier how different things are this year. Chris Phillips doesn't seem to have quoted Chris Powell much at all over the summer, both in terms of incoming transfer targets or indeed much else.
A gentleman's agreement maybe that this is the best way to ensure we get in the players we want without alerting other clubs? Or is Chris just a bit smarter with the media?

I'm not sure about a gentlemen's agreement but it makes Chris Phillips' job a lot easier when signings have been coming in regularly. There's no need to speculate or fish for a story because CP is teaing them up!

Last edited:

Good post. :Thumbs up:

Maybe Chris Powell is just less desperate to appear in the media and feed his ego?

Chris Phillips:

"Rob Howard, who was on trial with Blues at the end of last season, has signed a pro deal at Roots Hall."

Anyone know anything about him?

Chris Phillips:

"Rob Howard, who was on trial with Blues at the end of last season, has signed a pro deal at Roots Hall."

Anyone know anything about him?

I think he's a right-back who was here as a kid before he went to Arsenal.

Back