• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane FA Cup Memories

The home defeat to Hereford was our only defeat that season at RH and at the time Hereford were bottom of Division Four, which pretty much sums up our FA Cup record.

I think when we were automatically in the 3rd Round after Webby got us promoted, we didn't even score a goal in five of those six seasons!

Yes you are right thanks for pointing it out.

I have amended the list now to include some of the very early qualifying rounds, but unfortunately some of this data for these early qualifying rounds (Pre 1925) does not seem to be available, but will keep looking.
Nice one.
How about the Associate Members Cup games against Col U, Watford and Orient 1982/3 and the 1991/2 ZDS games against Watford & Palace , they could be included in the other cups as they were first team games.

Yeah, c'mon, get your act together 'BD'! :Winking:

Last edited:
I have just thought it is 50 yes 50 years ago next month that we beat Kings Lynn at the start of a great FA Cup run , the worst have to be Harlow and Alyesbury what kick in the balls they were . The Brentwood game will always be up there with King Billy getting 5 . But the Villa game has to be the greatest FA Cup game I have seen at Roots Hall , I had never seen before or since The North Bank rock like that game and anyone there that day would agree , nearest to that has to be the QPR FA Cup game , great memorys .

If the Hereford one was the 3-1 defeat, I was there as well.

Not only did we get beaten by Hereford, they invaded the pitch and tried to get in our end after the final whistle.

Yes I was at that game. John Keley was in goal and aledgedly lost his contact lenses early on in a 50/50

A couple of years ago I chatting to someone at Rochdale. He had played for Hereford at RH when they won 1-0. As we were unbeaten, their manger decided to play without a recognised forward which caused raised eyebrows amongst their players. I do remember they passed back all the way to the keeper from probably their only corner. It was a shock but we were poor that day.

If the Hereford one was the 3-1 defeat, I was there as well.

Not only did we get beaten by Hereford, they invaded the pitch and tried to get in our end after the final whistle.
I remember that so it have been that match and my memory has failed me again

I have just thought it is 50 yes 50 years ago next month that we beat Kings Lynn at the start of a great FA Cup run , the worst have to be Harlow and Alyesbury what kick in the balls they were . The Brentwood game will always be up there with King Billy getting 5 . But the Villa game has to be the greatest FA Cup game I have seen at Roots Hall , I had never seen before or since The North Bank rock like that game and anyone there that day would agree , nearest to that has to be the QPR FA Cup game , great memorys .
Just wish someone had photos of the pre match on the pitch entertainment against Villa! All these great memories which today would have been filmed on phones .The atmosphere of a packed terrace in full voice is sadly something missing today from the English game
Forgetting of course the Boreham Wood episode and the defeats to teams like Kingstonian!!!

Nice one.
How about the Associate Members Cup games against Col U, Watford and Orient 1982/3 and the 1991/2 ZDS games against Watford & Palace , they could be included in the other cups as they were first team games.

Yeah, c'mon, get your act together 'BD'! :Winking:

Act now together, and added all those plus some others I found as well. :Thumbs up:

FA Cup SUFC History.png

League Cup SUFC History.png

Other Cups SUFC History.png

Remember going to the Weymouth 7-0 (Bill Garner scored 5) and in particular the following season beating Villa 1-0 , didn't Gary Moore score the goal ?

Remember going to the Weymouth 7-0 (Bill Garner scored 5) and in particular the following season beating Villa 1-0 , didn't Gary Moore score the goal ?
Bill Garner scored 4 , and King Billy Best scored against Villa .

What was the match on the soaked pitch with the ball getting stuck in puddles and players aquaplaning into tackles - was that Barnsley?

That match was hilarious.

What was the match on the soaked pitch with the ball getting stuck in puddles and players aquaplaning into tackles - was that Barnsley?

That match was hilarious.
Yes, it was Barnsley. JCR scored for us (IIRC), and they equalised right near the end. I think the only reason the game wasn't abandoned before that was because we were winning. Think we won the replay and went to Spurs in the 4th round.

The greatest cup competition in the world is nearly upon us again.

What are your fondest memories in the FA Cup - someone must be old enough to remember us winning a match in it!
It would most certainly be remiss of me in F.A. Cup week on what is the 50th. Anniversary of the 1968-69 season not to mention what turned out to be a couple of the most incredible F.A. Cup matches witnessed at Roots Hall. It is to this day my favourite ever season to have followed the team, though certainly not the best team we have ever had. It may have been an age thing as I was 18/19 at that time or the many friends I had made and shared it with. Along with my good friend and fellow hitch-hiker Mick (Ref Watch) and a few other hardy souls we had the priviledge (or not) of being at every single match that season. 46 league games+2 League Cup+4 F.A. Cup matches, not forgetting the four postponed matches at Rochdale & Scunthorpe United which were both postponed twice. (You could also include Friendlies & Essex Professional Cup ties). Below is part of the F.A. Cup 1st. round match report against Kings Lynn played on the 16th.November 1968 as reported by the late, great Alf Smirk. "GOAL-GLUT BIG BOOST TO BLUES' CUP HOPES" Southend United 9, Kings Lynn 0. The Slaughter of the innocents! That, to use a trite expression and with due respect to the opposition, just about sums up United's first round F.A. Cup victory at Roots Hall on Saturday, which took them beyond this stage for the first time in three seasons. Four goals in the first half and five in the second without any response from the visitors, tells its own story. In fact so great was Blues superiority it was only a galaxy of goals that would have served to satisfy the bulk of United fans in the crowd of 9,983 the fourth largest gate of the 40 ties. Nine goals against any opposition is not bad going. They still have to be chiselled out and banged in. Southend United's goal time-table tells it's own story: Two minutes: Chisnall intercepted a bad Lynn pass, pushed a beautiful square ball for Gary Moore to run on to and hammer in from the edge of the box past goalkeeper Coe. 26 minutes: Another Chisnall interception a low cross from the left and Billy Best cracked it home from four yards after his first effort had rebounded from the goalkeeper. 29 minutes: Clayton beat three men in a crossfield run before pinpointing a through ball to the left for Chisnall to hit it past Coe from a narrow angle. 39 minutes: Chico Hamilton slung over a long centre from the right and Lynn full-back Tony Haskins trying to head it for a corner headed it past his own keeper. 62 minutes: After Southend had forced three corners and Moore had had a goal disallowed for hand-ball Best was on the spot to flick in a Hamilton pass after Chisnall had started the move. 72 minutes: Best again on the spot to nudge the ball in Hamilton after he had started the move himself. 80 minutes: Moore used his weight to bundle the ball in after John Kurila had headed on a Hamilton corner. 81 minutes: A mi**** clearance went straight to Chisnall on the edge of the penalty area and his shot hardly left the ground as it found it's way inside the post. 89 minutes: Tony Bentley made another of his many overlapping runs on the right and pinpointed his centre for Gary Moore to outjump a set of defenders and nod neatly into the net. Congratulations to the entire United team for an all-out display which should do wonders for the moral of themselves and their supporters and particularly to Gary Moore on his three goal Cup debut for United. All those people who have been hollering for a big 'un for years are now going to say "I told you so" and I must say he is proving them right up to now. Praise too for Billy Best now beginning to buzz at his busiest for his three goals. It certainly is a long time since we had so much to crow about!!! "GREAT MEMORIES FROM 50 YEARS AGO SEEMS LIKE ONLY YESTERDAY"

Nothing to do with the FA Cup, but it's the 50th anniversary of the first match I ever attended, later this month. It was a league game against Bradford City, sandwiched between the famous 1st and 2nd Round cup matches that season.

Great memories :Thumbs up:

Nothing to do with the FA Cup, but it's the 50th anniversary of the first match I ever attended, later this month. It was a league game against Bradford City, sandwiched between the famous 1st and 2nd Round cup matches that season.

Great memories :Thumbs up:

I was 51 years Saturday before last....... me and BBBL iirc
(Aldershot 1967)

Back