• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane FA Cup Memories

Blimey. Never realised (and genuinely shocked) how truly dismal your FA Cup record is. When beating Swindon seems to be the highlight of 100-odd years of participation, you can’t have had anything much to shout about.

Ps. #inb4westysaysmaidstone
Not a brilliant advert for the club I agree @Jonny_Stokes, but we decided that we should put all our efforts into remaininig in the Football League as our first priority. We've managed that so far.

I remember the atmosphere at the QPR game in January '75 was brilliant but I can't remember much of the detail of the game except that it looked like we were denied a penalty shout at the end when one of our forwards got hauled down in front of the North Bank - probably by Dave Webb, I suspect!

Brentwood,Kings Lynn at home and watching the magician that was Billy Best dance around them. Probably never to be repeated as the standard between league and non league now is so much tighter.

Blimey. Never realised (and genuinely shocked) how truly dismal your FA Cup record is. When beating Swindon seems to be the highlight of 100-odd years of participation, you can’t have had anything much to shout about.

Ps. #inb4westysaysmaidstone

It's a bigger deal for non-league clubs.

I saw Orient play in an FA Cup Semi-Final once.

In the days of Peter Kitchen and John Jackson.

That said, the cup is about personal memories. Regardless of the opposition, round or year.

Our FA Cup record is pretty dire, it has to be said, but in amongst the turmoil are some cherished moments.

I must agree with Nobbler,there was something special about that season.Maybe it is an age thing,but im sure everyone who supported us those days will say the same.
Why that season was so good??Those great shirts, the Jock coloured one and even our away,red,one looked special.
That seasons programme was good.
The North bank(Pak), as always,wasa dream to stand in,so many future great mates and times...i was only 11 then.
Maybe it was the way football was played,seems to be more entertaining.
The Manager..Ernie Shepherd...always came over as a top gentleman and he played the way fans wanted to watch,attacking football.
Then HIS players...King Billy,Phil C,Tony Bentley, etc what a team he produced-found.
Those players he found-signed,loads,...what would he(as manager and his players ) be worth today.
We did have better times and maybe teams..ie..71-72,77-78 and the champion team 81....but better football never

did any team that we played go on and win the trophy?

Yes, Man City won the FA Cup in 1956 having beaten Blues in that match played on a mud heap of a pitch, when Bert Trautmann saved City with some outstanding saves. One from Roy Hollis I remember very well. Match would never have been played in such conditions today.

Further to my post above, here is a section of the path to the final for Man City, with reference to our pitch, the rain and Trautmann's heroics. Joe Hayes broke our hearts.

Round Opposition Score 3rdBlackpool (h)2–14thSouthend United (a)1–05thLiverpool (h)0–0Liverpool (a)2–16thEverton (h)2–1Semi-finalTottenham Hotspur(n)1–0

As both Birmingham City and Manchester City were First Division clubs, they entered the competition in the third round.[1] Manchester City's cup run started with a home tie against Blackpool. The visitors took the lead after only 10 seconds (their fastest goal ever), but midway through the match, fog enveloped Maine Road.[2] The match was abandoned during the second half, immediately after City had scored an equalising goal,[3] and replayed the following Wednesday; City won 2–1. In the fourth round Manchester City faced Southend United at Roots Hall. The Essex club's ground had only opened five months previously, and was suffering from drainage problems. Torrential rainfall meant that in the week before the match a trench was dug across the pitch, and sand added.[3] Though Southend were a Third Division team, their familiarity with the uneven pitch meant the match was closely contested. Southend pressured the Manchester City goal, requiring Bert Trautmann to make several saves, but Joe Hayes scored the only goal of the game on a City counter-attack to earn a fifth-round tie against Liverpool.[4]

Yes, Man City won the FA Cup in 1956 having beaten Blues in that match played on a mud heap of a pitch, when Bert Trautmann saved City with some outstanding saves. One from Roy Hollis I remember very well. Match would never have been played in such conditions today.

Love those two old photos of the match, which I think are still on the old photos thread.

Not a brilliant advert for the club I agree @Jonny_Stokes, but we decided that we should put all our efforts into remaininig in the Football League as our first priority. We've managed that so far.

Genuinely wasn’t trying to take the pee. Just assumed that, on the balance of probabilities, over the 100 or so years you’d have had some better results. Guess there has to be some counterbalance to the sides who are more noted for cup pedigree.

It's a bigger deal for non-league clubs.

You say that, but it’s so devalued now that even we made six changes (brought in the postman for the accountant etc.) and altered the formation for our qualifying game. Just not a priority.

There's a mountain of league clubs with not much more cup history than some non-league sides.

It's once in a blue moon that a lot of clubs go on a famous run of results.

There's a mountain of league clubs with not much more cup history than some non-league sides.

It's once in a blue moon that a lot of clubs go on a famous run of results.

True. It was Luton, Stevenage and Yeovil who sprang to mind for me, but I suppose Orient have had more than their fair share over the years as well, so that probably skewed my expectations for Southend.

That game at Mansfield was heart breaking. Remember just being in the stand alongside the tunnel. You could smell the linament on the players when the teams came out. (I still had a sense of smell then!)

Gary Moore's last minute miss ,when he skied the ball over the bar (for what would have been our equalisier), certainly was. Can't say I "could smell the linament on the players" but then I was sitting next to my aunt up in the main stand (and drove to/from the game with Alf Smirk as a fellow passenger in her car).As we did for all our cup games that season,except for the Bournemouth game in the old League Cup,when I travelled down on the supporters coach,with a few mates. Great memories.

Last edited:
True. It was Luton, Stevenage and Yeovil who sprang to mind for me, but I suppose Orient have had more than their fair share over the years as well, so that probably skewed my expectations for Southend.

It's a shame lower league clubs don't hold the FA Cup with any more prestige, these days, than the Prem clubs. Prices are lower to see the matches, sides make changes to rest players for upcoming league games and so on.

The FA Cup used to be the highest attendance of the season for many clubs. Now it's often the lowest.

One more post script to my post re the Man City game. I was at the Palace Theatre watching the matinee performance of the annual panto when one of the performers announced during the show the score from Lincoln of the Third Round match played that afternoon. A 3-2 win for Blues. I thought it was a joke until we got home and found it was in fact true. Happy days.

On the debit side however, I remember standing outside the Southend Standard offices in Clifftown Rd, in the days when they posted updates in the office window from FA Cup games, and the increasing feeling of desolation at our defeat away at Yeovil in 58.

The SZ member who got really drunk before Sheffield Wednesday in the 5th round and managed to fall over and roll through dog dirt walking to Hillsborough...

Gary Moore's last minute miss ,when he skied the ball over the bar (for what would have been our equalisier), certainly was. Can't say I "could smell the linament on the players" but then I was sitting next to my aunt up in the main stand (and drove to/from the game with Alf Smirk as a fellow passenger in her car).As we did for all our cup games that season,except for the Bournemouth game in the old League Cup,when I travelled down on the supporters coach,with a few mates. Great memories.

The Mansfield keeper in that game is part of one of my favourite football Trivia questions
Which England international had a brother who played for Wales ?

Back