• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Accrington Stanley

What's your choice for Saturday's starting 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Saturday is another SUEPA Event day when we welcome back our leading scorer for the 07/08 season, the 08/09 season and the 09/10 season ........ Lee Barnard.

He will be introduced to the crowd shortly before kick-off (and learning lessons from before we'll encourage our guest to make his way to the centre of the pitch to wave hello to all and not just hide behind the Blue Belles).

We hope he'll get a great welcome.

SUEPA now has 167 ex Shrimper members - if yu are not following us already please take a look and like/fllow our Facebook ( www.facebook.com/SUEPAssoc/ ) and Twitter ( @SUEPAssoc ) pages.

UTB
Can he bring his boots please. We can bring him on after about 60 mins

Let's just hope for a good confidence boosting peformance, a couple of early goals, a clean sheet and three points.

Would go for a 4-3-3 used in a way similar to Scunthorpe at home the other week. Thought McLaughlin and Bunn cutting in and helping Cox worked well but would go with Theo over McLaughlin to get a bit of pace going forward.
Oxley
Bwomono White Moore Hendrie
Yearwood Mantom Dieng
Robinson Cox Bunn

Would go for a 4-3-3 used in a way similar to Scunthorpe at home the other week. Thought McLaughlin and Bunn cutting in and helping Cox worked well but would go with Theo over McLaughlin to get a bit of pace going forward.
Oxley
Bwomono White Moore Hendrie
Yearwood Mantom Dieng
Robinson Cox Bunn
Looks good on team sheet, BUT, the 3 in midfield have not shown me that the work together nor that they will help with overlapping attacks down our flanks which leave full backs exposed OR Bunny drops back too much making us a lop sided 4 4 2 with confusion. Just my opinion.
And Dru IS NOT FIT?..............or is it his mind that isn't right?

Looks good on team sheet, BUT, the 3 in midfield have not shown me that the work together nor that they will help with overlapping attacks down our flanks which leave full backs exposed OR Bunny drops back too much making us a lop sided 4 4 2 with confusion. Just my opinion.
And Dru IS NOT FIT?..............or is it his mind that isn't right?
Was torn between Hyam and Dru, but Dru looked decent when he came on at Portsmouth and the other 3 midfielders were pretty poor so I’d put him back in the team. He’s got a whole week to return to full fitness and he’s been involved in the last couple of games so it shouldn’t be an issue.

People keep alluding to his mind not being right but I’m not exactly sure where that’s coming from. He had one poor game against Barnsley because he looked half fit, not sure why this suddenly means his mind isn’t right?

ELVIS Bwomono is determined to get Southend United’s season back on track and does not mind where he plays to help that happen.

More...

Was torn between Hyam and Dru, but Dru looked decent when he came on at Portsmouth and the other 3 midfielders were pretty poor so I’d put him back in the team. He’s got a whole week to return to full fitness and he’s been involved in the last couple of games so it shouldn’t be an issue.

People keep alluding to his mind not being right but I’m not exactly sure where that’s coming from. He had one poor game against Barnsley because he looked half fit, not sure why this suddenly means his mind isn’t right?
Straight after he came on at Pomp he tried to play out from edge of our box, lost the ball and that was nearly goal 3; I am ok with him in general and when he brings the ball out BUT he has, in a few recent games, done that from too deep and from a dangerous position to be risking losing possession in. Hyem has looked alright beside Mantom and appears to have a good energy level.
And thanks for posting about the team stuff as I am interested in the views on the play; more than crowd numbers etc: BUT nothing is above the onions issues! lol. UTB

It may well be worth giving Hutchinson a start, he is scoring regularly, a midfielder who can do that is what we are missing. He would also add some much needed height to the team, a great help for attacking and defending set plays.

It may well be worth giving Hutchinson a start, he is scoring regularly, a midfielder who can do that is what we are missing. He would also add some much needed height to the team, a great help for attacking and defending set plays.
I'd go with that if we are playing usual holding/defending midfield. He could be a no10+

Back to 4-4-2 for me. Worked great when Powell first arrived!

Fully appreciate the squad is threadbare but square pegs in round holes is clearly not working.

UTB

Oxley

Elvis White Moore Hendrie

Bunn Hyam Dieng McLaughlin

Hutchinson__________
________
Cox

I'm on the 'play Hutchinson' bandwagon. But he needs to play as the 10. That seems to be his position and that certainly bridges the gap between the midfield and Cox at the moment. Playing Dieng in there on Saturday was pointless, he was lost. Let's play a round peg in a round hole

Manton was poor at Portsmouth and was obviously infectious when Dru replaced him who proceeded to give the ball away every time he had it. Hyam will stick a foot in and he'll hassle. He can definitely be that hard man we've been missing, sure he'll pick up cards but we need some muscle in midfield

I would go for this, except as agree cant play Dieng, Hyam and Mantom in same side.
Sam has ben lacking a bit lately.
However Robinson alongside Simon. No Thanks.
I would put Kightley there instead, we have seen he can score goals and is/was a quality player. Ok mainly a winger, and yes Simon is not a target man but without options.
Lets give a ex Premier and a ex Championship player a chance against well Accrington Stanley!!
Oh same subs but Robinson on bench!!

I am starting after today to think its going to be Hutchinson playing instead of Micheal, can see that!!

In total (including cup games) we have played 27 games this season. (21 league and 6 cup games).

Of those 27 we have won 12, lost 13 and drawn 2
We have started 16 games with a 4-4-2 formation. Of these 16 games we have :

Won 7
Drawn one game
Lost 8

My point being formation isn't always the sole reason we win/lose games. There are too many calculations some of which will be the changing of a formation part way through a match, playing somebody out of position, hoofing the ball up in the air when all your opposition are 3 feet taller than you, gearing down through a game and many other reasons.

Just just hope things start to click soon

Straight after he came on at Pomp he tried to play out from edge of our box, lost the ball and that was nearly goal 3; I am ok with him in general and when he brings the ball out BUT he has, in a few recent games, done that from too deep and from a dangerous position to be risking losing possession in. Hyem has looked alright beside Mantom and appears to have a good energy level.
And thanks for posting about the team stuff as I am interested in the views on the play; more than crowd numbers etc: BUT nothing is above the onions issues! lol. UTB

At the risk of sounding like @rigsby half of SZ is criticising Powell for us knocking it long and not playing it out and the other half is criticising Dru for losing the ball in deep positions.

I'd start Hutchinson off from the bench.

He's 18 and yet to make his league debut. If the game is flat, bring him on to try and spark us/the crowd. If the game is won, bring him on. If the game is lost there's nothing to lose so bring him on.

If he shows glimpses of the form he's showing for the u23s, if he's not getting outmuscled then give him a longer run out next time.

ps He might be tall but I wouldn't be relying on him at set pieces.

At the risk of sounding like @rigsby half of SZ is criticising Powell for us knocking it long and not playing it out and the other half is criticising Dru for losing the ball in deep positions.

I'd start Hutchinson off from the bench.

He's 18 and yet to make his league debut. If the game is flat, bring him on to try and spark us/the crowd. If the game is won, bring him on. If the game is lost there's nothing to lose so bring him on.

If he shows glimpses of the form he's showing for the u23s, if he's not getting outmuscled then give him a longer run out next time.

ps He might be tall but I wouldn't be relying on him at set pieces.

Huthinson did play for 60 minutes at Colchester in the Checkatrade in early October.
Unklike some of the other kids he did not look out of place.
If that is good enough experience for a league start maybe, to me its between him
and Micheal Kightly playing up or just behind Simon on Saturday.

Yes YB, I am aware of that; I know we need a midfielder who can take the ball forward with his feet AND of those available to us Dru is the most exciting by a country mile which is why we (most?) of us want him to play AND he is still young and will learn from experience/playing BUT I would prefer he didn't learn too much from costly mistakes.

Back