• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Charlton Athletic vs Southend Utd

What's your starting 11 for Saturday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So you’d pick one of them, despite not really wanting to pick either of them.

And you claim we have options? I see.

We do have options! I’d personally pick neither, but as Bunn is injured I’d use one of them, others may use both, others may push Elvis up, others would play Dru there, or Mantom. Others wouldnplay a completely different formation.

What the hell are you on about? That formation offers even more options than we are currently deploying and it demonstrate we have more options than are claimed.

Charlton are without Lyle Taylor and 6ft4 CB Patrick Bauer for this one due to suspension. I don’t know who will come in for him, but hopefully they’re a bit shorter!

Don't tell CP that. He won't have an excuse after explaining we are the only team who have injuries.

We do have options! I’d personally pick neither, but as Bunn is injured I’d use one of them

So the options we have are limited to two players you wouldn’t normally want to pick?

Hardly displays a depth of options, does it.

Kinda like having to choose between an evenings entertainemnt with Gemma Collins, or Janet Street Porter. Granted, they’re options, they’re just not options you’d necessarily want.

What the hell are you on about? That formation offers even more options than we are currently deploying and it demonstrate we have more options than are claimed.

Sorry, when you talk about these options, I just keep picturing the scene from Step Brothers. So many activities...

WESTY_SUFC has only picked 6 players, 3 of which are forwards and has bravely gone for a 1-1-1-3 formation ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Makes a mockery of it all tbh

I've sorted it now my favorite options are available

So the options we have are limited to two players you wouldn’t normally want to pick?

Hardly displays a depth of options, does it.

Kinda like having to choose between an evenings entertainemnt with Gemma Collins, or Janet Street Porter. Granted, they’re options, they’re just not options you’d necessarily want....

Why are you focusing your entire attentions to the two wide players?

I stated quite clearly that “that formation and set up” offered far more options for than we seem to think we have.

2 from 3 CB instead of all 3
White as a RB
Dieng as CB AND White as a FB
Mantom / Dru, Mantom / Dieng or Dieng / Dru holding
Dru more advanced
Dru advanced wide
Kightly / McLaughlin / Hutchinson wide

It doesnt change the numbers but if you think outside the box there are MORE options than we suggest and as has been pointed out it’s actually NOT that bad a starting 11 either way.

Why are you focusing your entire attentions to the two wide players?

You can’t see the irony in saying we’ve got options, but they’re not preferred options?

I stated quite clearly that “that formation and set up” offered far more options for than we seem to think we have.

2 from 3 CB instead of all 3
White as a RB
Dieng as CB AND White as a FB
Mantom / Dru, Mantom / Dieng or Dieng / Dru holding
Dru more advanced
Dru advanced wide
Kightly / McLaughlin / Hutchinson wide

It doesnt change the numbers but if you think outside the box there are MORE options than we suggest and as has been pointed out it’s actually NOT that bad a starting 11 either way.

It’s not a good starting XI at all. It’s a starting XI that is made up of young kids, out of form players & over-the-hill codgers.

It is at best, a mid-table XI (which is proven by where we are in the league table, the statistics table and in the form guide) and at worst a relegation XI, (which is proven by our recent slump in form)

Our best formation & selection, or in other words, our best option, won’t be available for the rest of this season. We have to make do with what is left.

And what we are left with, is substandard options, formations & selections. You can create a thousand different hypothetical formations if it makes you happy, but effectively all you’re doing is gambling on square pegs in round holes.

You can put lipstick on a pig all you want, but it’s still a pig.

You can’t see the irony in saying we’ve got options, but they’re not preferred options?

It’s not a good starting XI at all. It’s a starting XI that is made up of young kids, out of form players & over-the-hill codgers.

It is at best, a mid-table XI (which is proven by where we are in the league table, the statistics table and in the form guide) and at worst a relegation XI, (which is proven by our recent slump in form)

Our best formation & selection, or in other words, our best option, won’t be available for the rest of this season. We have to make do with what is left.

And what we are left with, is substandard options, formations & selections. You can create a thousand different hypothetical formations if it makes you happy, but effectively all you’re doing is gambling on square pegs in round holes.

Isn't that foreplay......:Unsure:

You’re either not very good at listening or not very good at reading.....

Options are exactly that! You can’t have all options being your preferred!! An option is exactly that....an option. Probably not what you’d prefer but an option to what you have!

Read my post again. I didn’t for one second say it was a GOOD starting 11 I said it wasn’t THAT bad!! There’s a huge difference between saying “good” and “not that bad”! Can’t you see that?

Relatively speaking the suggested starting eleven isn’t actually that bad. It has some very good players in it, albeit players maybe out of form or low on confidence. My point was it’s better than it has been suggested and shouldnt be considered relegation fodder.

I don’t disagree! It’s not a secret that we are missing several first choice players! No one least of all me suggested otherwise. It is a mid table side and we are mid table....??....well done.

I didn’t say at all that we were using our BEST option. I said we had options and we do. Even without dipping into the kids on the bench there are options we COULD use (cos that’s what options are!) and it would be arbitrary on whether it made us stronger or weaker for any given game. But they are options none the less....and all involve players and a starting 11 that has plenty of league 1 experience.

None of the formations or options I suggested are necessarily square pegs in round holes.....they may involve players playing in what they may call their secondary position but none of them in positions that they haven’t played before. As for gambling,that’s sometimes what you need to to in these situations...I can think of one or two world cups where the England manager had to use what he may have considered one of his options and take a gamble and it paid off......

Still you go back to your glass half empty miserable world where we are all rubbish and everyone’s crap at their jobs and Southend will get relegated. Glad I don’t sit next to you!!!!

Last edited:
You’re either not very good at listening or not very good at reading.....
Options are exactly that! You can’t have all options being your preferred!! An option is exactly that....an option. Probably not what you’d prefer but an option to what you have!

Right, let’s do this quickly.

Come up with all the options you want. I’m really not that bothered.

I was only bothered about pointing out the inane irony in your earlier post. Which in truth, was a retort to your comment that suggested, a lack of options was “ludicrous”.

Read my post again. I didn’t for one second say it was a GOOD starting 11 I said it wasn’t THAT bad!! There’s a huge difference between saying “good” and “not that bad”! Can’t you see that?

Relatively speaking the suggested starting eleven isn’t actually that bad. It has some very good players in it, albeit players maybe out of form or low on confidence. My point was it’s better than it has been suggested and shouldnt be considered reformation fodder.

It is bad, it’s the reason we’ve been losing games. It’s the reason we’re in a slump.

It’s the reason we’re mid-table in the league, mid-table statistically & mid-table in the form guide.

Can you see that?
I don’t disagree! It’s not a secret that we are missing several first choice players! No one least of all me suggested otherwise. It is a mid table side and we are mid table....??....well done.

I didn’t say at all that we were using our BEST option. I said we had options and we do. Even without dipping into the kids on the bench there are options we COULD use (cos that’s what options are!) and it would be arbitrary on whether it made us stronger or weaker for any given game. But they are options none the less....and all involve players and a starting 11 that has plenty of league 1 experience.

Ok, we’ve got options. I concede... with the caveat that they’re crap options.

None of the formations or options I suggested are necessarily square pegs in round holes.....they may involve players playing in what they may call their secondary position but none of them in positions that they haven’t played before. As for gambling,that’s sometimes what you need to to in these situations...I can think of one or two world cups where the England manager had to use what he may have considered one of his options and take a gamble and it paid off......

What’s your favourite brand of hot chocolate?

Still you go back to your glass half empty miserable world where we are all rubbish and everyone’s crap at their jobs and Southend will get relegated. Glad I don’t sit next to you!!!!

Eh? I’ve been far from doom & gloom?

Are you alright?

And it's a change of tack to break up GBJ & Grapevine.........:Fishing:

As long as it gives us more options...

The SUGGESTED lack of options is ludicrous! Read what’s written instead of what you want to have read to suit your own response!!

Options are limited but the suggestion that we have NONE is ludicrous!

The suggestion that the starting line up written by ANOTHER poster was BAD is ludicrous!! Out of form maybe. Low of confidence maybe. But that doesn’t make it BAD!!

We are in a slump because our first choice side is decimated and the players left or replacing those missing are LOW ON CONFIDENCE or OUT OF FORM.....that doesn’t mean they are bad players!!!

Mid table in the table and the current form table ISNT BAD!!! It’s mid table!!!!

Bottom is bad! Get some perspective for Christ’s sake!!

All I actually said was that we DO HAVE OPTIONS!!! Its very objective on whether they are good or bad options. I may think one of the options is miles better than what CP thinks is his best 11....you may think all the options are poor....someone else may think all the options are better than what CP likes most!!! It’s called an opinion.....but we DO have options.

What the hell has Hot Chocolate got to do with it? Have you run out of things to say?

“We have no options” “We are bad” “We have no good players”......doom and gloom in my book....Hey but that’s objective too.

I tell you what.....let’s settle it once and for all...

You tell me your best starting line up in your preferred formation and I’ll offer you some options on it.....I’m not promising that you’ll prefer them but I will show some options.....

Because that’s ALL I suggested....we have options and the suggested best 11 wasn’t all that bad!!!

Chris needs to focus on giving the players confidence. In his interviews and in his performance during matches for me he doesn’t do that. I hope the players see another side, but our performances speak otherwise.

I also find it interesting that comments suggest that kightly and Macca being out of form is 100% down to them. I would argue that a manager can have an impact on a players form therefore Chris can be part of the solution to tget into their heads and get them to believe in themselves- that goes for all the team.

Every year some teams do ok as the sum of their parts is better than the individuals. That’s what makes a good (great?) manager.
I still hope that we can be one of those teams.

Back