• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Charlton Athletic vs Southend Utd

What's your starting 11 for Saturday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, i am going to go for the ORANGE option,
Doh!!! Err, NO, NO, NO to many orange bad memories,

I'll have to Belgium option please.

Decent ground, easy to get to. Only negative is lack of local Pubs!. Apparently 'The Earl of Denmark' ( went there last 2 seasons ), is no longer an 'away fans' boozer?.

The Antigallican pub has closed too. That was the main away fans pub. Not sure where else to drink apart from inside the ground.

If you're getting off at North Greenwich, the Pilot Inn is only a short walk and then you can pick up the bus to the ground. It's a Fuller's pub so good selection of ales and standard pub grub. Otherwise there's lots of stuff around the O2.

The SUGGESTED lack of options is ludicrous! Read what’s written instead of what you want to have read to suit your own response!!

I can’t keep repeating myself. Your original post on the matter contained hypocritic irony. I simply pointed it out.

We are in a slump because our first choice side is decimated and the players left or replacing those missing are LOW ON CONFIDENCE or OUT OF FORM.....that doesn’t mean they are bad players!!!

Mid table in the table and the current form table ISNT BAD!!! It’s mid table!!!!

Bottom is bad! Get some perspective for Christ’s sake!!

Maybe you should take your own advice & read things a bit more carefully.

I haven’t actually criticised the team for being mid-table. And neither have I criticised Powell for it. Quite the opposite actually.

All I actually said was that we DO HAVE OPTIONS!!! Its very objective on whether they are good or bad options. I may think one of the options is miles better than what CP thinks is his best 11....you may think all the options are poor....someone else may think all the options are better than what CP likes most!!! It’s called an opinion.....but we DO have options.

Already done this. Yes we’ve got options.

Have you run out of things to say?

The Big Dog never runs out of things to say. Just ask one of my favourite sparring partners @MK Shrimper.

Its one of the reasons I’ve been on this board for 11 years.

“We have no options” “We are bad” “We have no good players”......doom and gloom in my book....Hey but that’s objective too.

We have options. They’re just bleak.

We are (currently) bad. Although I attribute this to the decimation of our strongest XI and being forced to play a very weakened XI made up of kids & stiffs.

We do have good players. They’re injured.

I tell you what.....let’s settle it once and for all...

You tell me your best starting line up in your preferred formation and I’ll offer you some options on it.....I’m not promising that you’ll prefer them but I will show some options....

The team pretty much picks itself in my eyes, so just take the line-up from the previous two games.

Because that’s ALL I suggested....we have options and the suggested best 11 wasn’t all that bad!!!

Ok. Thanks for clarifying

Last edited:
Oh wow. That’s brilliant. You’ve just repeated yourself and managed to misunderstand the whole point again.

I understand now. 11 years of talking so much people lose the will to live because you simply wont listen to another view without repeating yourself again!

There was no hypocritic irony whatsoever. I stated that a certain formation gave us far more options and we had more options than people were making out we had as an excuse for only using certain formations. This was in various areas of the pitch and not anywhere specific. I then stated I didn’t think Kightly or McLaughlin had done enough to warrant regular automatic selection however in that formation I would select one of them, probably Kightly given his pedigree but probably not both. Seeing as I feel there are other options available I thought that was perfectly reasonable?

I didn’t say at all that you were critical of us being mid table! You’re just fabricating things to suit your own point. Do you work for the Daily Mail? You consistently pointed out that we were mid table in all formats due to being poor! You then mistakenly suggested I’d said we were good when actually I said that the 11 were “not that bad”. No one, neither you or I mentioned Powell so why are you now? Other than to use it to try and emphasise your point?

This was all relevant to the suggestions that we are rubbish and have no players or options capable of making us anything other. We do.

Not all our best players are injured and our entire team of good players is not decimated. We are not poor by definition at all.

We are missing some of our best players. Our team is not as strong as it would be with a clean bill of health. But we are not as poor as you suggest.

Current form is exactly as you pointed out in the various league tables.....middle of the road...we are as capable of winning games as we are losing them. If we were losing more than we won we’d be lower....so the league tables are quite accurate we are inconsistently average. The poor form is very much to do with missing players as that affects consistency but it's also down to low confidence and form....form of all players at all levels will fluctuate over the season and if you read my posts you’d see I’m very much of the belief that we don’t get carried away by either....as we will see both!!

Anyway, I refuse to spend much longer associating myself with anyone who calls himself “big dog”.
My experience tells me the bigger the dog the more **** it produces.....And as you have finally accepted and agreed with the one point I made which provoked this discussion - that we do in fact have options - I presume this is the end of this conversation?

I look forward to seeing your selection. Obviously I don’t believe the team picks itself or I’d be guilty of real ironic hypocrisy as that would suggest there are no other options

??

Last edited:
Don't forget that West Ham playing at Palace so probably loads of more travelling on the tube to LB

Could you two just agree to disagree....:Whistling:............................................................................................…….or, is there another option......Do'h..:Facepalm:

Chris needs to focus on giving the players confidence. In his interviews and in his performance during matches for me he doesn’t do that. I hope the players see another side, but our performances speak otherwise.

I also find it interesting that comments suggest that kightly and Macca being out of form is 100% down to them. I would argue that a manager can have an impact on a players form therefore Chris can be part of the solution to tget into their heads and get them to believe in themselves- that goes for all the team.

Every year some teams do ok as the sum of their parts is better than the individuals. That’s what makes a good (great?) manager.
I still hope that we can be one of those teams.

This - I'm amazed at how many players look out of form; you expect one or 2, but our whole midfield looks battered!!

I can't believe this is solely down to the players

I think he’s agreed to agree ?

No, not quite. I just feel that, for me to continue this inane conversation, I should really have an office with plaques on the wall, a leather chez lounge, and be paid about £200 a hour.

No, not quite. I just feel that, for me to continue this inane conversation, I should really have an office with plaques on the wall, a leather chez lounge, and be paid about £200 a hour.

Don’t you have? Come and visit me in my office Big Dog I’ll give you a ‘sub’.

To be fair it was good of you to engage in football conversation for a change.

Of your 11 years and 7500 posts, over 7000 of them were based on Brexit, Liam Neeson / Racism, Jesus (!!!) and boxing!!

I particularly liked your “lost weekend” years when you only posted 7 times in a three year period ?? Must’ve been a Labour government!

I’ll keep an eye out for you at games. I’m sure I’ll spot you ?

Back