• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell deserves a chance

Hmmmmmmm.
Luck has a lot to do with football.
A lot to do with life also.

Football is such fine margins. In another world we are in the top 3 with a fit squad and a different psychological approach.

Psychological approach which would come from the failing manager?

Top three hahahah no chance, not even top 6.

Obviously ChitChat's gain is the Politics and Boxing Forums loss where GBJ is concerned. (said in a comical voice with a hint of something or the other).

You’re too kind (said through genuine chuckling as I remember our arrangement)

Playing salaries are the biggest single cost to clubs. I'd work on the assumption players salary are 55%- 60% of revenue.

There's no way Scunthorpe pay their non-playing staff (programme sellers, turnstile operators, club shop staff?) the same as players!

Im taking salary costs directly from their accounts, sometimes it's more than their revenue.

But if we assume 50% of salary costs, then the numbers are:

SUFC £2.1m
Walsall £1.6m
Charlton £4,5m
Burton - £3.75m
Scunthorpe - £3m
Coventry - £2m

so, we're about right. Have I got time to go through all the teams?

I bet if you checked out every team you would come to the same conclusion - it’s not just us who lose if they concede first.

Ok I picked out 3 teams. Luton, Charlton & Scunthorpe who are just above us. Looking at times these clubs went behind then either won or drew the game.

Luton - W3 D5 (20 points).
Charlton - W3 D5 (20 points).
Scunthorpe: W1 D2 (5 points).
Us: W1 D1 (4 points).

So no, not every team is the same though there may be an agreement with league position and goals scored first/second.

Ok I picked out 3 teams. Luton, Charlton & Scunthorpe who are just above us. Looking at times these clubs went behind then either won or drew the game.

So no, not every team is the same though there may be an agreement with league position and goals scored first/second.

I hope you don't do the club's tax return.

Re-read your post.

You seem to have made it a more uneven playing field than it already was.

I picked out two top teams and one who are in the same position as us. I agree that it's not perfect but I really haven't got the time or the will to go through every club and every result.

I hope you don't do the club's tax return.

Great idea MK...... 5 points for a win if you come from behind......Unless your Scunthorpe, which makes sense.

If OBD’s link is correct, it backs up what I said.

Maybe @rigsby cant add some clarity.

Sorry GBJ I've given up on the wage argument. It would appear some people cant tell the difference between first team player and the big lad with the fork when it comes to STAFF wages. Although in fairness he has covered more of the pitch than some in recent times.

A while back we tried to sign a proven L1 striker. He would have been our highest payed player. Charlton offered him £100,000 per year more, so he signed for them.

Now I know most of you could use common sense to know that clearly Charlton have more money than us but you just cant convince some people......In fact it goes against you for pointing it out...…..Bizarrely its the same people who are the first to want each manger sacked, that can't read a spread sheet...…..I have no stats to back this up just my observation. A skill that was once recognised amongst fellow fans but is now increasingly dismissed as unscientific here on the Zone

Sorry GBJ I've given up on the wage argument. It would appear some people cant tell the difference between first team player and the big lad with fork when it comes to STAFF wages.

A while back we tried to sign a proven L1 striker. He would have been our highest payed player. Charlton offered him £100,000 per year more, so he signed for them.

Now I know most of you could use common sense to know that clearly Charlton have more money than us but you just cant convince some people......In fact it goes against you for pointing it out...…..Bizarrely its the same people who are the first to want each manger sacked, that can't read a spread sheet...…..I have no stats to back this up just my observation. A skill that was once recognised amongst fellow fans but is now increasingly dismissed as unscientific here on the Zone
I have it on good authority that we pay him with a bucket of fish heads.

Whilst he's on topic, anyone have any idea what the **** he actually does? Looks like he goes around just randomly hitting bits of ground in the most unenthusiastic manner I've ever seen. Almost like brushing the pavement with one hand on the broom

Whilst he's on topic, anyone have any idea what the **** he actually does? Looks like he goes around just randomly hitting bits of ground in the most unenthusiastic manner I've ever seen. Almost like brushing the pavement with one hand on the broom
I don't know this for certain, but I think the Club let him help out with the ground staff. I don't think he is a paid member of staff, more a Community involvement thing.

You clearly haven't been watching our team for the first half.

What a legend, he's so lethargic I don't think I have seen the fork pierce the top of the pitch.. it just seems to bounce!!

Yes i agree SCP deserves and his team deserve the chance to take us down to the quagmire that is league 2 then the cess pool that is National League and RON into bankruptcy and SUFC into liquidation

Yes i agree SCP deserves and his team deserve the chance to take us down to the quagmire that is league 2 then the cess pool that is National League and RON into bankruptcy and SUFC into liquidation

A bit of a simplistic question, but let’s say that we don’t get relegated this season. Would you then give Powell a chance to work with a full squad, to see how he does, or will you continue to call for his resignation?

A good motivator and leader will inspire his players to give their all, to give the cliche 110%. How did Leicester win the league back in 2016 with a bang average (Premier League) team? Or Greece win the Euro's back in whenever? A good leader will lead from the front and inspire. We seem to be lacking that off the field, and on the field.
Leicester only had 23 players make prem appearances in that winning season . including sub appearances , of that 23, 6 made less than 10 , that indicates a settled , regular and injury free squad to me

For example , they only used 1 Goalkeeper in the league, 8 defenders (of which 3 played less than 10) 12 played over 30 games

Compare that to us this season, 30 players have made league appearances of one sort or another , we have used 3 keepers in the league and 10 defenders (albeit 1 of them is only 1 sub) and currently have 6 on over 20 appearances

Last edited:
Back