• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Bond appointed - Confirmed

Predictable negative responses on here, and to be honest mine was the same when i heard the news earlier this morning about 9 am!

However on reflection, based on last weeks performance did we look like winning any of our remaining games??

Beggars can't be choosers and whilst there may have been quite a number expressing interest, how many would have come just to the end of the season? Knowing Keen must also have been a bonus.

We have 6 games. We have got to win 2/3 of them. He comes in with fresh ideas, more players are coming back (Lennon and Hendrie played today) so who knows...? I'm sure Ron has incentivised him should he succeed.

Strange things do happen........!

Fair comments and sums up where I am with it at the moment.
I think we are all in the unknown area here and really need to sit back and see what happens.

I was disappointed but can see the logic in that we aren't down yet - we are looking to stay up, rather than appoint someone to get us back up. Time will tell whether Bond is the right appointment but often managers that keep teams up aren't necessarily the same ones as get teams promoted.

Seriously underwhelmed. Who is going to make the decisions on the retained list for next season ?

There aren't actually that many decisions to be made on the retained list.

Ricky Duncan and Kevin Maher will make them on the u23s, which leaves only 4 out of contract senior players with decisions to be made on:

Ben Coker - he's not going to be passing a medical any time soon. Any decision on his future can wait until a manager is permanently appointed.
Stephen Hendrie - we've got an one year option if we're interested in retaining him
Michael Turner - I expect he'll call it day as this was a season too far
John White - if losing John White is your biggest issue then we are in a better position than many expected

Probably it is a bit more than just the retained list. Presumably, we have players under contract that we need to try and move on. Kightly is one name that springs to mind. Ben Coker is another decision that needs to be made.

Whichever division we are in then just for once we need to hit the ground running. I do hope Ron has a plan to resolve the manager issue as soon as the season ends.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd never tried to put us out of business in the 1990s, they don't run coaches to their games from Southend and they don't drop season ticket leaflets through doors in our borough.

west ham are not a rival, of course they are not. But for many fans of a certain age, myself included, they are hated more than anyone else, including Colchester.
I've been around the club since 1974, get over it

clever pictures -there is no-one there .... a couple of classes of school kids - the place looks empty

Hong Kong Pegasus FC played in the final of the Hong Kong FA Cup which was against Yuen Long FC, the score was 1-1 at full time, Yuen Long FC scored in the 91st minute to level the scores. Hong Kong Pegasus FC won the penalty shoot out 4-3. The game was played in the MongKok Stadium which has a capacity of 6,769, there were 6,664 in attendance.

The other cup completion was the Sapling Cup, Hong Kong Pegasus FC played South China FC in the final, this match was also 1-1 after a.e.t and went to penalties which Hong Kong Pegasus FC won 1-3. Again the game was played in the MongKok Stadium but there was a much smaller crowd of 2,150.

Mong_Kok_Stadium_201504.jpg
MongKok Stadium

I share similar feelings of disappointment as many other posters have about this underwhelming appointment. I would have preferred the other options such as Paul Hurst, Darrell Clarke or even an up and coming younger coach with modern ideas. Kevin Bond’s last League One managerial experience was 11 years ago, we may as well have brought Tilly & Brush back if that was the criteria! If another club in our relegation battle on a bad run like ours appointed him we would not be worried about them as a threat. I guess if he keeps us up he’ll get the job permanently, if we go down he goes. Best case scenario we will be stuck with him next season and I’m not sure what the long term strategy would be. Football is full of surprises though so we have to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he can do a good job for us.

I see Norman Wabo scored twice in the 2-2 draw with Steenage int he U-23 match. Yet he couldn't even get ont he bench on Saturday. Crazy....

I see Norman Wabo scored twice in the 2-2 draw with Steenage int he U-23 match. Yet he couldn't even get ont he bench on Saturday. Crazy....

It was Wabo and an OG....but I get your point and I agree he is ahead of CK and EA for me

I share similar feelings of disappointment as many other posters have about this underwhelming appointment. I would have preferred the other options such as Paul Hurst, Darrell Clarke or even an up and coming younger coach with modern ideas. Kevin Bond’s last League One managerial experience was 11 years ago, we may as well have brought Tilly & Brush back if that was the criteria! If another club in our relegation battle on a bad run like ours appointed him we would not be worried about them as a threat. I guess if he keeps us up he’ll get the job permanently, if we go down he goes. Best case scenario we will be stuck with him next season and I’m not sure what the long term strategy would be. Football is full of surprises though so we have to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he can do a good job for us.
Apparantly he speaks highly of you too.

I felt underwhelmed when England approved Gareth Southgate, lets hope Kevin Bond does the same for Southend and the crowd get behind him and proves the doubters wrong,who seem to want him to fail before he has had a chance

The only problem I see is Powell left the club on a very low note both on and off the pitch, Bond does not have a luxury of looking at players in match play situation, every game is now important and unlike Powell he has only six games to save the club, this is where Duncan and Maher will come into their own, they know the players and the way they are feeling (Very low on confidence)

Personally happy no one associated with the club has the role, a new person without any affiliation could be a blessing at this stage

Be interesting if Oxley or Bishop will get the nod Saturday

We haven't got any alternative here, get behind the new manager and hope and pray he can get us out of this mess. Moaning about him before he's even got started is pointless, surely? COYBB

We haven't got any alternative here, get behind the new manager and hope and pray he can get us out of this mess. Moaning about him before he's even got started is pointless, surely? COYBB

Not if your a Southend fan, in some cases its essential.

Word of the week....Underwhelmed

Back