• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Bond appointed - Confirmed

It's a good thing that Bond is not being overburdened with unrealistic expectations. Whatever the outcome, I wish him all the best: if he saves us from relegation that's fine, if not, it will hardly be his fault.

I felt underwhelmed when England approved Gareth Southgate, lets hope Kevin Bond does the same for Southend and the crowd get behind him and proves the doubters wrong,who seem to want him to fail before he has had a chance

The only problem I see is Powell left the club on a very low note both on and off the pitch, Bond does not have a luxury of looking at players in match play situation, every game is now important and unlike Powell he has only six games to save the club, this is where Duncan and Maher will come into their own, they know the players and the way they are feeling (Very low on confidence)

Personally happy no one associated with the club has the role, a new person without any affiliation could be a blessing at this stage

Be interesting if Oxley or Bishop will get the nod Saturday
Keen will have a say.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd never tried to put us out of business in the 1990s, they don't run coaches to their games from Southend and they don't drop season ticket leaflets through doors in our borough.

west ham are not a rival, of course they are not. But for many fans of a certain age, myself included, they are hated more than anyone else, including Colchester.

It's a good thing that Bond is not being overburdened with unrealistic expectations. Whatever the outcome, I wish him all the best: if he saves us from relegation that's fine, if not, it will hardly be his fault.

He is in quite a good position in some ways, as you say, it's not his fault if we go down, he will be applauded if we stay up. Also we are already in 20th position with points in hand over three of our rivals.

That's right, if we stay up he is a hero, if we go down its not his fault. He also has the advantage that we have points in hand over teams below us, we are not actually in the relegation spots at the moment. You can see why he took the job.

He also has the advantage that we have points in hand over teams below us

We only have points in hand over Bradford, the three teams immediately below us are on the same number of points and one of them has a game in hand over us!

Screenshot 2019-04-03 at 11.38.22.png

Last edited:
I don't think you understand how much Redknapp loves money.
We've got none: he won't be coming.
Just as important, the journey from his home in Sandbanks to QPR (Harlington Training Ground) almost did for him - this one is a lot longer.
We'll see won't we, early signs are I could be right....

Bond said needed a massive rebuild and at least 2 full transfer windows. We all thought he was talking bolleaux at the time. But he was right. Would have probably have stopped the tippy tappy as well like molesley did.

Thought it was worth tracking down the SZ poll for whether Kevin Bond should be appointed full-time boss after keeping us up in 2019: Should Bond be given the job next season?

70.9% of the 357 voters at that time thought he should (I say at that time, but the poll appears to have been closed on September 19th, so a few might've used the benefit of hindsight at the start of 2019/20 to adjust their vote accordingly...).

Thought it was worth tracking down the SZ poll for whether Kevin Bond should be appointed full-time boss after keeping us up in 2019: Should Bond be given the job next season?

70.9% of the 357 voters at that time thought he should (I say at that time, but the poll appears to have been closed on September 19th, so a few might've used the benefit of hindsight at the start of 2019/20 to adjust their vote accordingly...).

I checked that to see what I voted and pleased I was in the 29.1% who said No. He did well to keep us up but he just wasn’t for me. Never quite warmed to him and thought it was a very strange appointment.

I remember voting in this one and being torn. Head said no, he's a crap manager who I never wanted in the first place, but heart said yes. Went with heart because it only seemed fair after he saved us. Another example of where SZ has taught me a valuable life lesson.

I checked that to see what I voted and pleased I was in the 29.1% who said No. He did well to keep us up but he just wasn’t for me. Never quite warmed to him and thought it was a very strange appointment.

Yes, I was a very definite 'no' too.

To be honest his appointment initially when he kept us up was never about him. He was manager in all but name. Then Ron felt he had no option to give him gig once he’d kept us up and his support act from the stands was never seen again.

To be honest his appointment initially when he kept us up was never about him. He was manager in all but name. Then Ron felt he had no option to give him gig once he’d kept us up and his support act from the stands was never seen again.

But the support act then gave us MM.

Back