• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Fleetwood Town 2-2 Southend United

Chris Phillips interview with Kevin Bond after the game.

Bond: "We did well in the first half and we deserved to be in front. The second half Fleetwood put us under pressure and we weren’t as composed as I would like us to be."

Bond: "Harry (Bunn) had a tight hamstring so we had to bring him off. Stephen (Humphrys) was fantastic putting himself forward to play but he’s short of fitness."

Bond: "We conceded a penalty which in fairness probably did look like it was a penalty."

Bond: "Overall it was probably a fair result. 100 per cent we would have taken a point before the game but it’s disappointing to draw when you’ve been in front twice."

Bond on moving Rob Kiernan into midfield. "He’s got composure on the ball and he has a physical presence. We aren’t the biggest team but he’s good in the air and with both feet. I thought he did alright in there."

Bond on naming Jason Demetriou captain. "He’s one of the most senior players at the club. He’s well respected and everyone likes him. I thought he played like a captain today, he was magnificent."

Completely agree with Bond’s summary and Demetriou played and led really well

Will post a proper review later

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Bond felt this afternoon’s 2-2 draw at Fleetwood Town was a fair reflection of the game.

More...

Sounds like a battling performance and 100% effort and commitment is all we can ask for. Good that Bunn and Hyam got on the scoresheet and even better that Humphrys is back. Sensible comments from Bond after the game shows he is realistic about our performance and has his feet on the ground. Reasons to be hopeful. Bring on Wycombe next weekend.

Sounds like a battling performance and 100% effort and commitment is all we can ask for. Good that Bunn and Hyam got on the scoresheet and even better that Humphrys is back. Sensible comments from Bond after the game shows he is realistic about our performance and has his feet on the ground. Reasons to be hopeful. Bring on Wycombe next weekend.
Great performance from all the boys. Should have won but draw was fair. My only niggle concern is our substitution timings. They are always reactive rather than pro-active. 5 mins before they scored we were under the cosh and looking like we needed fresh legs so why not make the change THEN. We wait until they score and then some. Kightly or Bunn or BOTH should have gone off then. Why not inject fresh legs then as it was very warm and both previous mentioned players will never graft for a full 90.

I was there. Good, strong performance from the lads. Hart was particularly good, Cox as reliable as ever.

Having to resort to listening, not really the ideal way to pass judgement and the radio totally missed the opening goal. They had gone over to Bowers and Pitsea.

However, what was clear, was as soon as we scored the 2nd goal, the formation changed to 4-5-1. When Chris Powell resorted to sitting on a lead, the message board went into meltdown ! Nothing more to add really.

First time I’ve seen us play as a unit for a long time - we were very organised when they had the ball. As someone said previously, we’d have lost that under Powell. Kiernan in midfield isn’t a long-term option but provided the solidity we needed in front of the back 4. I hope Yearwood can force his way back in because I think he’ll find his form again in a more disciplined set up. I also think if we can get Lennon fit we’ve got a good player there.

Having to resort to listening, not really the ideal way to pass judgement and the radio totally missed the opening goal. They had gone over to Bowers and Pitsea.

However, what was clear, was as soon as we scored the 2nd goal, the formation changed to 4-5-1. When Chris Powell resorted to sitting on a lead, the message board went into meltdown ! Nothing more to add really.

CP resorted to 7-3-0, not 4-5-1 :Smile:

So the squad were late out to warm up and early back in before kick off which worried me a bit but clearly Bond and co were drilling the team and the prep worked. During the warm up the squad spent quite a long time in a possession game with a lot of quick sharp passing and in the first half that showed with the whole team moving the ball around with conviction and that made Fleetwood quite uncomfortable.

We deservedly led at half time although most of our best play was outside of the box and we still maybe lacked a bit up front, although Bunn was pretty decent. Fleetwood were much improved in the second half and we maybe dropped in intensity a bit. Both of their goals were a bit sloppy and at times there was a bit of disorganisation, but credit to the team who showed a lot more effort and desire than they have done and heads didn’t drop. Bond clearly had a plan from the sidelines and was a positive presence.

Shout out to Kiernan who improved throughout the game and showed some decent passing at times. Mantom maybe didn’t have a blinder but worked hard and confidence perhaps building, and Demetriou led by example and looks like he should be captain for the rest of the season.

bishop - 6 - fine
Demetriou - 7 - good performance and organised the team
White - 6 - typical defensive display
Lennon - 6 - thought he was pretty solid but likely at fault for both goals.
Hart - 6 - started slowly but improved
Kightly - 5 - good work for first goal but fizzed out
Kiernan - 7 - slow start but grew into the role and defended well with some good passing
Hyam - 7 - got stuck in and took his goal well
Mantom - 6 - ok out on the wing but clearly not a natural winger
Cox - 6 - worked hard but didn’t drop for him today
Bunn - 6 - impressive up front but fizzed out. Took his goal well

Subs: meh. Nice to see humphrys back. Elvis was poor. Dieng did nothing really

Last edited:
So the squad were late out to warm up and early back in before kick off which worried me a bit but clearly Bond and co were drilling the team and the prep worked. During the warm up the squad spent quite a long time in a possession game with a lot of quick sharp passing and in the first half that showed with the whole team moving the ball around with conviction and that made Fleetwood quite uncomfortable.

We deservedly led at half time although most of our best play was outside of the box and we still maybe lacked a bit up front, although Bunn was pretty decent. Fleetwood were much improved in the second half and we maybe dropped in intensity a bit. Both of their goals were a bit sloppy and at times there was a bit of disorganisation, but credit to the team who showed a lot more effort and desire than they have done and heads didn’t dropped. Bond clearly had a plan from the sidelines and was a positive presence.

Shout out to Kiernan who improved throughout the game and showed some decent passing at times. Mantom maybe didn’t have a blinder but worked hard and confidence perhaps building, and Demetriou led by example and looks like he should be captain for the rest of the season.

bishop - 6 - fine
Demetriou - 7 - good performance and organised the team
White - 6 - typical defensive display
Lennon - 6 - thought he was pretty solid but likely at fault for both goals.
Hart - 6 - started slowly but inproved
Kightly - 5 - good work for first goal but fizzed out
Kiernan - 7 - slow start but grew into the role and defended well with some good oassinf
Hyam - 7 - got stuck in and took his goal well
Mantom - 6 - ok out on the wing but clearly not a natural winger
Cox - 6 - worked hard but didn’t drop for him today
Bunn - 6 - impressive up front but fizzed out. Took his goal well

Subs: meh. Nice to see humphrys back. Elvis was poor. Dieng did nothing really

Good to hear Kiernan played well in Midfield. I was annoyed that Dieng came on over Yearwood though. I thought Dru played okay last week, Dieng's been **** for months.

Chris Phillips interview with Kevin Bond after the game.

Bond: "We did well in the first half and we deserved to be in front. The second half Fleetwood put us under pressure and we weren’t as composed as I would like us to be."

Bond: "Harry (Bunn) had a tight hamstring so we had to bring him off. Stephen (Humphrys) was fantastic putting himself forward to play but he’s short of fitness."

Bond: "We conceded a penalty which in fairness probably did look like it was a penalty."

Bond: "Overall it was probably a fair result. 100 per cent we would have taken a point before the game but it’s disappointing to draw when you’ve been in front twice."

Bond on moving Rob Kiernan into midfield. "He’s got composure on the ball and he has a physical presence. We aren’t the biggest team but he’s good in the air and with both feet. I thought he did alright in there."

Bond on naming Jason Demetriou captain. "He’s one of the most senior players at the club. He’s well respected and everyone likes him. I thought he played like a captain today, he was magnificent."

How many captains have we had this season??

Great performance from all the boys. Should have won but draw was fair. My only niggle concern is our substitution timings. They are always reactive rather than pro-active. 5 mins before they scored we were under the cosh and looking like we needed fresh legs so why not make the change THEN. We wait until they score and then some. Kightly or Bunn or BOTH should have gone off then. Why not inject fresh legs then as it was very warm and both previous mentioned players will never graft for a full 90.

To be fair to 007 as it was going to be Humprys, he would be thinking later rather than sooner bearing in mind the injury. Great to have him back and much quicker than most of us expected.

Good strike from Hyam and of course they were going to have ago. Rather than blame the usual suspect, sitting back. I have to say what a shockingly poor penalty to concede. Come on you've all played to some level....Who has ever given one away as bad as that, in a vital game, 2-1 up and such an important time.

Back