• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

I don’t think we need another centre midfielder personally and think Mantom will surprise a few people this year. He made some big mistakes but he also scored 5 for us last season in a bang average midfield and with Milligan and hopefully a confident Dru beside him, I think he will have the license to get further forward and show his undoubted ability at this level. Reminds me a bit of the flack that Maher used to get before he grew into his role in the team. With Hyam, Dieng and some of the youngsters as backup, I think we are okay in this area. Another winger would be nice though, just in case we ever change system. McLaughlin and an untested Barratt suggests however that we definitely won’t be playing that kind of system very often.

I don’t think we need another centre midfielder personally and think Mantom will surprise a few people this year. He made some big mistakes but he also scored 5 for us last season in a bang average midfield and with Milligan and hopefully a confident Dru beside him, I think he will have the license to get further forward and show his undoubted ability at this level. Reminds me a bit of the flack that Maher used to get before he grew into his role in the team. With Hyam, Dieng and some of the youngsters as backup, I think we are okay in this area. Another winger would be nice though, just in case we ever change system. McLaughlin and an untested Barratt suggests however that we definitely won’t be playing that kind of system very often.

I totally agree; not sure why everyone thinks we need another centre midfielder. Maybe another wide player, but not another centre one (unless we offload)

I don’t understand why everyone assumes we will now play without wingers and a 3 man central defence....

Bond has t played that system once all pre season and he’s had the players at his disposal to do so.....why would he now go that way in the first league game having not worked on it all pre season?

I don’t understand why everyone assumes we will now play without wingers and a 3 man central defence....

Bond has t played that system once all pre season and he’s had the players at his disposal to do so.....why would he now go that way in the first league game having not worked on it all pre season?

... to surprise the opposition?

Probably because it worked very well at home but it doesn't work as well away where the opposition is more likely to attack, so Bond probably wanted to figure out an away tactic.

Looks more like we’re going to play a three man midfield with three up top from the players we have, I’d reckon.

So decent business so far, but I still am very worried about the midfield which let us down last season - McL, Dru, Mantom & Dieng were awful for the last 3 months. I know we have got Milligan to sit in front of the back 3/4/5 but I can’t see us creating much with these 4 around the team. Would love to see someone with a decent eye for a pass or driving runs at opposing teams.

I don't think we are under a transfer embargo.

Even if we were, it wouldn't apply in this case because Shaughnessy is a free agent, having left his previous club at the end of the season.

How so? My understanding was that an embargo prevents a club from registering additional players - it shouldn’t make a difference if they were a free agent or not.

So decent business so far, but I still am very worried about the midfield which let us down last season - McL, Dru, Mantom & Dieng were awful for the last 3 months. I know we have got Milligan to sit in front of the back 3/4/5 but I can’t see us creating much with these 4 around the team. Would love to see someone with a decent eye for a pass or driving runs at opposing teams.

Yes, that's my worry too. We've addressed many of last season's problems but we still don't look to be a very creative team. But, because we have a range of decent striker options I hope we will be more clinical with the chances that we DO create. Hopefully we can overcome the creativity deficit with a signing or two in midfield before the window closes, or with players like Barratt or Hutchinson coming through. Also, Mantom and Dru might find more space to create with Milligan behind them. You can also address it through tactics, by not relying on 'special' individual talents but with counter attacks, consistent crossing from wide, forcing errors through pressing and with well rehearsed set pieces. Ultimately though, I agree that we need someone who can carry the ball between the lines, preferably at pace.

Mantom, Dru and especially Dieng might surprise us this year. They can pick a pass from midfield but Dru and Dieng especially aren’t ball winners. When we were under the cosh, toothless and disorganised at the back and no outlet up top they all looked poor last season, but with a rock solid foundation behind them and options for a forward pass they may well look completely different this year.

Mantom, Dru and especially Dieng might surprise us this year. They can pick a pass from midfield but Dru and Dieng especially aren’t ball winners. When we were under the cosh, toothless and disorganised at the back and no outlet up top they all looked poor last season, but with a rock solid foundation behind them and options for a forward pass they may well look completely different this year.

That's my hope too - Hyam being injured a lot didn't help them, but a lack of leaders was also a problem. One on paper KB seems to have solved.

I think McLaughlin will also surprise a few more and has the ability to play more central and unlock the defences in a 3 man midfield if required as well as in a natural wing position.
I'm genuinely excited now for tomorrow. Some great business done this summer :Highfive:

I agree on McL and Dieng, but I thought Mantom was a massive improvement when Bond came in, he looked a lot more like the player we saw on loan than the player we had under Powell.

Wouldn’t count out Olly Lee even with these signings. All other rumours so far have been true and can’t see why this would be any different.

Andre Blackman....another chance given and taken at least in training and attitude. I'm glad that our club continues to offer second chances to players. people go through challenging spells in their lives. Much of it is of their own making. Some work out...some don't. But it's a credit to our club that we don't write players off if the managers believe they can help the player to succeed. I hope we continue to give these guys a chance and I hope Andre repays the club with his best. Well done previous managers....Well done KB...well done Ron...well done SUFC. COYB's!

Wouldn’t count out Olly Lee even with these signings. All other rumours so far have been true and can’t see why this would be any different.

The difference is that when asked about Shaughnessy, Ridgewell and Blackman, the manager said they are trying to get deals over the line, but wouldn't be naming the players. When asked about Olly Lee it was a flat denial, saying he knows nothing about it. By the way, it was the worst kept secret about the first three mentioned, but nobody in the club is mentioning Olly Lee.

So the waiting and all the speculation is nearly over. Some on the face of it astute signings but who knows. Judgements are about to be made on the strengt h of one game and a whole season projected on 90 minutes against Coventry. Of course we all hope for the best but let's keep a sense of proportion. The season is 46 games (assuming Bury and Bolton fulfill their fixtures) so whatever happens tomorrow will not define the season. In Bond and his management team we seem to have a clear sense of purpose so we need to give him time to bed in what he is trying to achieve. If this results in entertaining match winning foottball then fine but it might take time. We need patience, it has been a long time since we have had someone at the helm with such a clear vision of what he is trying to achieve...

Back