• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst Manager Ever

Worst Manager Ever?

• Dick Bate

• Ronnie Whelan

• Peter Morris

• Alvin Martin

• Bobby Moore

• Colin Murphy

• Steve Wignall

• Rob Newman

• Chris Powell

• Phil Brown

• Peter Taylor

• Kevin Bond

Results are only viewable after voting.
Interesting thread, difficult to say who the worst;
Can’t vote for Colin Murphy as he signed Collymore,
Can’t vote for Bobby Moore... lifted the World Cup he did!
Dick Bate only had 6 games so bit unfair to say it’s him

Worst Manager must be either Wignall (win ratio ~26%) Whelan (~24%) or maybe Peter Morris (~21%) ? Not sure Paul Clark was that great either (win ratio of ~28%), but not on the list.

I see a lot of votes for Alvin Martin, but can’t recall how bad his record was?

Paul Clark was brilliant.

Got us promoted in very difficult circumstances and then kept us up in almost impossible circumstances.

I still think Bond wasn't as bad a Wignall (remember we were in League 2 then ) and def not as bad as Chipmunk!

The players see off PB, then took the p*** out of CP......Some were even shirking during their rehab.

Bond is nice easy one for them because they know the fans will let them off completely yet again

Remember those 6 point games v Wimbledon, Shrewsbury and Wycombe.......I have seen worse at RH but never 3 like that in a row. Some of you should think about that, next time one them publicly whinges about being asked to play a bit of keep ball.
I make you so right here

Rubbish ,you are putting Brown ahead of Arthur Rowley and Dave Smith , Poppycock .

I agree with Farmer Fossett. Although he was often his own worst enemy, Phil Brown was a long way ahead of Arthur Rowley and Dave Smith. Rowley was something of a disappointment at Southend after what he had achieved at Shrewsbury while Dave Smith's major achievement was getting Southend promoted as champions of the old Division Four after taking them down there from Division Three.

I agree with Farmer Fossett. Although he was often his own worst enemy, Phil Brown was a long way ahead of Arthur Rowley and Dave Smith. Rowley was something of a disappointment at Southend after what he had achieved at Shrewsbury while Dave Smith's major achievement was getting Southend promoted as champions of the old Division Four after taking them down there from Division Three.

We also had a fair few cup runs under Dave Smith too!

How was Rowley a disappointment , he built a team that was perhaps one of the best teams to ever wear the Southend shirt he got our team promoted and bought great times back to Roots Hall , he got a team together that was more than a match for any team When people talk about the great days at Roots Hall and games that you always remember Rowley was the manager , As for Dave Smith he built a team of champions and turned Roots Hall into a fortress , and had it not been for trouble of the field Smith would taken Southend on to better times .

I've been picked up on this earlier in this thread. I agree that PB did a good job ... for a period, but in reality he should still be doing it but shot himself in the foot continually and it is that which grates for me. OK, many of us may covet something better, but for PB to repeatedly hint he would jump at other job opportunities was IMHO unforgivable. We all know he wasn't born a Shrimper, but once in charge he should have at least pretended to be one. His actions re blabbing about Bolton etc set the tone for a downward spiral we haven't really recovered from as yet. What he did set folk against him and that gathered momentum and so led to a downward spiral he couldn't stop. What a silly man.

Did he?......According to the myth he did. Yet in reality he turned down better paid jobs with Forrest and Sunderland.

Fully agree with last sentence...What a silly man.

Did he?......According to the myth he did. Yet in reality he turned down better paid jobs with Forrest and Sunderland.

Fully agree with last sentence...What a silly man.
Would you take PB back ?

I think I would.

I can't agree with you about him not touting himself around, he was doing it on Talksport and Sky so we will never agree on that but overall he's a good manager. By the way I wouldn't have had a problem with him applying for better jobs, who knows whether he did or whether he didn't but I do have a problem with his ill chosen words in public.

As for Dave Smith he built a team of champions and turned Roots Hall into a fortress , and had it not been for trouble of the field Smith would taken Southend on to better times .

That team exuded confidence and was probably the only Southend team that I have ever seen who, as they ran out of the tunnel and before a ball had been kicked, one felt that "they are going to win".

We've now conceded 19 in 7 games this season. Bond's record so far W3 D2 L8 I think).Not good whichever way you look at it. Sorry to spoil your day!

Would you take PB back ?

I think I would.

I can't agree with you about him not touting himself around, he was doing it on Talksport and Sky so we will never agree on that but overall he's a good manager. By the way I wouldn't have had a problem with him applying for better jobs, who knows whether he did or whether he didn't but I do have a problem with his ill chosen words in public.

A few of us know and he didn't. As soon as the Sunderland rumour went public I asked him directly would he be going.....He said it was a great offer but the answer would be no.

As for talk sport your payed to talk football s***e.....
If someone asks you about your home town and the club you grew up standing on the terraces......What would you say about them?
Does any actually believe he would need to ask for a job on national radio when big Sam had just become their manger.......He had already been offered the assistants job and turned it down.

Likewise with Bolton, he gave them good press but knew what a mess they were in. When they were struggling under Dougie Freedman PB was due to meet up with a group of Bolton mates at Fulham for lads night out, as it was a Friday night fixture. It had been arranged back in the summer but PB cancelled because he did not want people leaping on social media and putting Freedman under more pressure.

When I walked in to the away end at Northampton in PB's last but one game. There was Tilson on his first away game. Sitting where everyone could see him.

This only added to the Brown out atmosphere and done Tilson no favours in the circles that count.

A few of us know and he didn't. As soon as the Sunderland rumour went public I asked him directly would he be going.....He said it was a great offer but the answer would be no.

If someone asks you about your home town and the club you grew up standing on the terraces......What would you say about them?
Does any actually believe he would need to ask for a job on national radio when big Sam had just become their manger.......He had already been offered the assistants job and turned it down.

Likewise with Bolton, he gave them good press but knew what a mess they were in. When they were struggling under Dougie Freedman PB was due to meet up with a group of Bolton mates at Fulham for lads night out, as it was a Friday night fixture. It had been arranged back in the summer but PB cancelled because he did not want people leaping on social media and putting Freedman under more pressure.

When I walked in to the away end at Northampton in PB's last but one game. There was Tilson on his first away game. Sitting where everyone could see him.

This only added to the Brown out atmosphere and done Tilson no favours in the circles that count.

It's a bit late to start justifying Phil Brown's tenure at Southend.He's gone and won't be coming back.That's history.The problem we have now is getting rid of KB and who to replace him with.

It's a bit late to start justifying Phil Brown's tenure at Southend.He's gone and won't be coming back.That's history.The problem we have now is getting rid of KB and who to replace him with.

We weren't discussing that.....The win at Wembley ends that one

Don't you read your students work before commenting?

Any chance you could explain/expand upon 'the circles that count'.

To me, Bonds record says it all.

Played: 13

Wins: 3

Losses: 8

Draws: 2

Goals for: 15

Goals against: 28

31 goals conceded in 14 games.

The players deserve a good lambasting for this **** run, absolutely no question about that.

But yeah, Bond is by far the worst manager I’ve ever seen in my 24 years of going up The Hall.

It’s not even debatable

Can I change my vote please! I fortunately (just) missed Bate's short tenure, but Bond's jumped ahead of Alvin Martin to the top of my list after the 2 home horror shows this week. Even Alvin won a few games!

Edit- Sorry just realised the option to change was there :Dunce:

Back