• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should replace bond?

Who should replace Kevin Bond

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldn’t be too adverse to the thought of Darren Currie. He’s well thought of within football circles and has done a steady if unspectacular job at Barnet, however it wasn’t the easiest of positions to step into initially and has been on an upward trend ever since.

For those that have looked wistfully over at the Cowley’s success story I wonder how many of them would’ve happily had them appointed while they were at Concord or even at Braintree? It’s all very well saying how we missed the boat once you’ve seen the evidence of success at Lincoln, it’s another thing altogether identifying their potential while they were down in non league in the early stages of turning round the fortunes of a club....

I wouldn't mind Darren Currie, but once again, it's not the way Ron does things. He has never poached a Manager that is currently Managing another club. He's been here long enough, that you don't have to be Colombo to work out that rules out Darren Currie. Someone else can work out how many Managers we have had under Ron Martin, but its the same pattern, never going after another clubs Manager.

I wouldn't mind Darren Currie, but once again, it's not the way Ron does things. He has never poached a Manager that is currently Managing another club. He's been here long enough, that you don't have to be Colombo to work out that rules out Darren Currie. Someone else can work out how many Managers we have had under Ron Martin, but its the same pattern, never going after another clubs Manager.
Is Ron not entitled to change his mind / ethos on that subject ? It's amazing how many people who have never had any dealings with him know so much about what he's thinking.

I respect your posts 70s but you use variations of this line time and time again.

We get your point, it doesn't need to be laboured everytime someone mentions a potential candidate who may currently have a job.

Just because it isn't what he had done previously, doesn't mean it can't or won't ever happen.

Is Ron not entitled to change his mind / ethos on that subject ? It's amazing how many people who have never had any dealings with him know so much about what he's thinking.

I have never had dealings with him, but I know someone that does in SUFC. He doesn't give away much, but he has said that Ron mentioned he doesn't go for another clubs Manager, when Ron was jokingly asked about a Manager we were rumoured to be after before appointing Phil Brown.

I note the odds on Gareth Ainsworth have suddenly dropped, I can’t see it myself, but obviously been some money placed in the market for it to move as much as it has. Betfair have Parkinson at 2/1 and skybet Barrett at 2/1 so they both seem to be the ones the markets think we will get.

On Sunday I was out and spoke to someone in the know at length about the managerial position at Blues as well as the good old days under Steve Tilson.

Apparently Steve and Adam want to job as a duo.

Phil Parkinson is 100% interested in taking the job as is Gary Rowett

The playing budget for this season is nearly twice what Tilly had in our season in the Championship

Kightly was apparently on 7k a week last season, Turner 4.5k so just those two leaving created a lot of headroom in the Budget for Bond.

The source feels there is currently a massive disconnect between the players staff and the fans and that needs to be sorted out.

He couldn't believe the tactics that Bond was using and was aghast that he did things like playing Elvis wide right for a couple of games

He does however like the squad and thinks we are capable of much much more than we are showing at present.

Wether or not Tilly and AB get the job remains to be seen but thought it worth giving you all the update

Last edited by a moderator:
On Sunday I was out and spoke to someone in the know at length about the managerial position at Blues as well as the good old days under Steve Tilson.

Apparently Steve and Adam want to job as a duo.

The playing budget for this season is nearly twice what Tilly had in our season in the Championship

Kightly was apparently on 7k a week last season, Turner 4.5k so just those two leaving created a lot of headroom in the Budget for Bond.

The source feels there is currently a massive disconnect between the players staff and the fans and that needs to be sorted out.

He couldn't believe the tactics that Bond was using and was aghast that he did things like playing Elvis wide right for a couple of games

He does however like the squad and thinks we are capable of much much more than we are showing at present.

Wether or not Tilly and AB get the job remains to be seen but thought it worth giving you all the update

Good Post. I'd be interested how he knows about Parkinson and Rowett though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respect your posts 70s but you use variations of this line time and time again.

We get your point, it doesn't need to be laboured everytime someone mentions a potential candidate who may currently have a job.

Just because it isn't what he had done previously, doesn't mean it can't or won't ever happen.

Well here's the Managers Ron has hired, sometimes temporary. 13 appointments, and not one poached from another club. I'm just pointing out what he does. Each time we are Managerless, we are linked to another clubs Manager. In the past, posters have even said it's a done deal. I'm just saying that it's best to mention all those that are out of work, or coach or lower at another club, but not a Manager at another club.

I would also assume that Rowett would be much more interested in the Lincoln job now that has become available.

Thing about Lincoln, even being a biased blues fan is that I don't think it's a bigger job.

I could be wrong but I'd credit the majority of their recent success to the 2 lads who have just gone to Huddersfield.

Well here's the Managers Ron has hired, sometimes temporary. 13 appointments, and not one poached from another club. I'm just pointing out what he does. Each time we are Managerless, we are linked to another clubs Manager. In the past, posters have even said it's a done deal. I'm just saying that it's best to mention all those that are out of work, or coach or lower at another club, but not a Manager at another club.
Oh good. Another post labouring the point.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but you have made your point on numerous occasions.

It's a bit disheartening seeing a name suggested to see you squash it with "well that's not what Ron does"

That's true, he hasn't. Yet.

Good Post. I'd be interested how he knows about Parkinson and Rowett though.

If you were interested in a job vacancy and knew someone who'd worked for the person who'd be interviewing you, you'd be missing a trick not to speak to them about it.

They weren't employed as managers but several were employed in football and presumably "poached" from those clubs.

Another ringing endorsement.......again, from somebody who has recently played with Barrett at the club and knows the effect that he had on the dressing room.

More than that, it’s from a player who played the bulk of his career in the Premier League under numerous decent managers and he has still endorsed Barrett.

8A4CC68F-0B0A-4921-8058-41BF4E55A037.jpeg

On Sunday I was out walking for Prostate Cancer UK around London alongside Steve Tilson, I spoke to Steve at length about the managerial position at Blues as well as the good old days when he was manager.

Steve and Adam want to job as a duo, Steve has already spoken to Ron whilst Adam was having talks with Ron on Sunday.

The playing budget for this season is £4M which is much more than the £1.9M Tilly had in our season in the Championship

Kightly was on 7k a week last season, Turner 4.5k so just those two leaving created a lot of headroom in the Budget for Bond, JD is on 3k a week

Tilly said the only bad player he ever had at Blues was you guessed it Michael Ricketts and got rid of him after he refused to run about during a fitness session!

He feels there is currently a massive disconnect between the players staff and the fans and that needs to be sorted out.

Wether or not he and AB get the job remains to be seen but thought it worth giving you all the update

Sol Campbell not in the mix then?

Back