• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dover Athletic 1-0 Southend United

Weren't only 4 of todays players signed by Powell?

Dieng, Mantom (Did he play??), Lennon, Hopper

I’m very much not just talking about today. I’m talking about the beginning of turning our squad into a soft touch, lacking in personality and character.

Well after reading all this ,i just scratched Southend united dross off my bucket list, decided to go back to the Philippines instead,wont waste my money coming back to see that load of dross play .

I’m very much not just talking about today. I’m talking about the beginning of turning our squad into a soft touch, lacking in personality and character.

Yep, and letting them get away with murder and ruining the general fitness level's of the squad. Powell was far too much of a 'nice guy'. I hope Campbell and that Arsenal fitness guy trains them til they puke on a daily basis. I'm fuming with how unprofessional we look right now.

Been supporting Southend for 39 years, I've been at the 8-1, 7-1 deafets to name a few. Today has to be one of the lowest moments supporting the team. In my heart I hoped we would get a result and at least gain some confidence to build on ahead of Oxford. But what happened today was the polo opposite of that hope. A game against let's face it an average conference side, yet we were bullied and outplayed all over the pitch. The goal when it came was almost expected, likewise the lack of a reaction.

I don't blame Sol, he has been dealt a very poor hand and he can only do the best with what he has got. He needs to use the remainder of the season to find out who is up for the fight, who he can trust and most importantly who he believes can compete in league 2 next season which is inevitable

I for one today didn't give the players the abuse others did, I don't think it helps, but understand people's frustration. Dieng at least did apologise when he came over and Elvis looked completely broken.

On a day that I thought could provide us with a glimmer of hope ended with us humiliated on national TV and in an even more dire situation than we started. Tough times ahead fellow shrimpers

But that doesn't fit in with the 'it's all Powell's fault' brigade

Nobody's said it's all Powell's fault. You wanted him out too if I remember correctly. Is he immune from criticism?

How was the ref today BTW? I'm bemused that you haven't slagged him off and tried to deflect blame yet? Or have you realised that ref's aren't infallible, there's no conspiracy, and we're just ****?

Does that include telling kids that you hope their family die of cancer? That’s ok if they’re playing badly is it?

****ing scumbags and cowards the lot of you that have brushed over this and shame on the people that stood by and heard it.

Look Tombstone we get it. Nobody would disagree that what that person shouted out was disgusting and lower than low. Having had cancer myself I know how distressing a comment like that is.
But please don't associate this with the justifiable reaction that a large proportion of fans gave vent to at the final whistle.
In the end a combination of defeat after humiliating defeat together with no visible evidence of players giving anywhere near 100% will prompt an angry reaction. Personally I think our fans have put up with far more than other clubs' fans would have done.

This all started with the Brown out trolling from day one, those who had some congenital dislike of his orange colour rather than his abilities managing a lower league team. Times up you get what you wish for.

Well we didn’t concede four did we? We normally do, I see this as progress.
That's tongue in cheek, right?
Are we talking the mighty Dover beaten 4-0 in October by the mighty Aldershot, and at home by the mighty Stockport?
If this is progress then I'm the incarnation of a baked bean that Boris promised he was.

Does that include telling kids that you hope their family die of cancer? That’s ok if they’re playing badly is it?

****ing scumbags and cowards the lot of you that have brushed over this and shame on the people that stood by and heard it.
Obviously the actions of that individual are disgusting and those around him who heard it should definitely have said something and defended Hutchinson.

However, most people would have been unaware of this and the players fully deserved the reception they got at the end of the game. Most of them don’t care, we’ve had to endure a year of half-arsed performances, with only a handful of acceptable performances. This sort of reaction had been coming, and it’s understandable that it’s come after being completely embarrassed and outplayed by a non-league side.

MK Dons and Tranmere are the only games I’ve come away from this season feeling as though the players have put in a reasonable shift which is completely unacceptable when we’re nearly 20 games in. The players have received good levels of support considering how bad it’s been, they don’t care about the supporters, when the fans are supportive they still play equally as bad, it doesn’t work or make a difference because they don’t care. They don’t deserve to be defended anymore and we had every right to boo and voice our opinions (of course within reason) at the end of the game today.

I’m not sure much of the abuse was justified. I do actually think most of not all the players did work hard and did care....a thought backed up by BT Sport commentators and Peter Taylor.

So what’s actually justified?

Hutchinson was getting dogs abuse as he tried to applaud the fans...Whats he meant to do? Disappear down the tunnel? What would be the reaction to players who did that?

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t so the kid does the right thing and tries to say thank you and sorry and gets called a c**t anyway? Nice one....and that was more than one idiot doing that too

Sorry Tombstone if you heard it, did you confront them ?
Just confused as you posted shame on you that stood by and heard it ?
Fair play if you did confront them

I’m not sure much of the abuse was justified. I do actually think most of not all the players did work hard and did care....a thought backed up by BT Sport commentators and Peter Taylor.

Hutchinson was getting dogs abuse as he tried to applaud the fans...Whats he meant to do? Disappear down the tunnel? What would be the reaction to players who did that?

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t so the kid does the right thing and tries to say thank you and sorry and gets called a c**t anyway? Nice one....and that was more than one idiot doing that too
Every player that came over received exactly the same reception apart from Elvis, why single out Hutchinson? I feel sorry for him as I think he’s one of the few that doesn’t necessarily deserve that reaction but the frustration was aimed at the whole team rather than any individual players.

I don’t understand why you think we all have to brainlessly clap just because the players have come over to us? Why do they deserve to be applauded after constant poor performances with a lack of effort? They’ve been applauded off by the majority at most games this season, people have shown them more than enough patience, and that patience has understandably run out.

If they’re really sorry they can show us on the pitch rather than with some half-arsed token applause after the game.

I understand the fans frustration and anger, but saying that sort of thing to a lad that's just become a regular, and has actually been one of our best players, it's disgusting. I'm glad I wasn't there. I probably would have got arrested, especially after the cancer comments. Hutchinson ran his nuts off in this game as well. He's the shining light in the whole team, albeit still a work in progress, and still learning when and who to pass to.

Every player that came over received exactly the same reception apart from Elvis, why single out Hutchinson? I feel sorry for him as I think he’s one of the few that doesn’t necessarily deserve that reaction but the frustration was aimed at the whole team rather than any individual players.

I don’t understand why you think we all have to brainlessly clap just because the players have come over to us? Why do they deserve to be applauded after constant poor performances with a lack of effort? They’ve been applauded off by the majority at most games this season, people have shown them more than enough patience, and that patience has understandably run out.

If they’re really sorry they can show us on the pitch rather than with some half-arsed token applause after the game.

No one needed to clap. That’s exactly my point. But by the same token none of them deserved to be called c**ts when they tried to clap the supporters....

More to the point my question was if shouting and abusing them for coming and clapping, what reaction would they have got had they thought bugger that I’ll disappear down the tunnel?

Damned if you do damned if you don’t....

Nobody's said it's all Powell's fault. You wanted him out too if I remember correctly. Is he immune from criticism?

How was the ref today BTW? I'm bemused that you haven't slagged him off and tried to deflect blame yet? Or have you realised that ref's aren't infallible, there's no conspiracy, and we're just ****?

I never wanted Powell out.

Having so many players out injured at once was Powell's death knell. I still say no manager would have done better in those circumstances.

As for the ref today, missed a few things, got his card out very early but did seem to let a lot of Dovers tackles go, particularly the one on Bwomono, which was just as bad if now worse than the one Macca got booked for

Been supporting Southend for 39 years, I've been at the 8-1, 7-1 deafets to name a few. Today has to be one of the lowest moments supporting the team. In my heart I hoped we would get a result and at least gain some confidence to build on ahead of Oxford. But what happened today was the polo opposite of that hope. A game against let's face it an average conference side, yet we were bullied and outplayed all over the pitch. The goal when it came was almost expected, likewise the lack of a reaction.

I don't blame Sol, he has been dealt a very poor hand and he can only do the best with what he has got. He needs to use the remainder of the season to find out who is up for the fight, who he can trust and most importantly who he believes can compete in league 2 next season which is inevitable

I for one today didn't give the players the abuse others did, I don't think it helps, but understand people's frustration. Dieng at least did apologise when he came over and Elvis looked completely broken.

On a day that I thought could provide us with a glimmer of hope ended with us humiliated on national TV and in an even more dire situation than we started. Tough times ahead fellow shrimpers

I don’t blame Campbell for the state we are in but he is responsible for today’s negative setup and boring tactics , we rarely threatened and tried to get a poor side back to roots hall in a seemingly stale mate mentality

Come on today could of changed our season for the better had wewalked away with a victory but truth is we never looked like we could out score Dover with the amount of players we allowed to commit forward

Looking through the programme squad list would only keep the youngsters, Hopper and possibly Humphrey’s for next season.

Going to be a record amount of players released in the summer!

The biggest surprise for me is Cox who has gone from almost legend status last season and player of the year, to a shell of the player he was. I think a combination of age, lack of pre season and the wrong attitude, for reasons we don’t know would seem to be the cause of this.

The fear for me is who is contracted beyond 2020, which utter dross do we have to keep?

Of course it doesnt. There is no excuse for that.

Last edited:
Back