• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron speaks

Accepted and exactly as I saw it developing prior to post #88.

Last edited:
I think everyone around me in East Black were very restrained on Saturday, there was the odd boo and a couple of sarcastic remarks but nothing like its been in the past. When the cushions used to come on the pitch! (I'm showing my age).
I stood in the queue for the gents at Half Time and thought to myself, how on earth do we tolerate these conditions in 2019/20? Southend United is a disgrace from top to bottom, the fans are this clubs blood. Its the people that have made this club, the Spuds,Spanners, Chelski supporters laugh at us, still going down that sh*t hole week in week out, watching that rubbish. I've heard it all over the years. But SUFC is my club, but lets make no bones about it, we are on our arse. I don't need anymore RM promises or him telling me he's in the trenches with me?? If some fans want to sound off that's their prerogative, We've been shafted time and time again over the last decade. I won't boo any player wearing a SUFC badge, but I will tell them if they are not trying. I'm not going back before the New Year at the earliest, I'm not enjoying it. Its not a Badge of Honour supporting your local team, its supposed to be a pleasure. Maybe my palate just can't stomach it at my time of life, it just hurts too much at the moment.
It's a minority in the South Stand but a very vocal minority. I don't mean the odd comment I mean all match long, every player is s**t, the manager is s**t, giving lessons in tactics .. my point was if it's that stressful stay at home. 'Letting the players know' never works. OK yes it's frustrating but singing 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' at a bunch of players who've won one league game all season and who's confidence is f**ked?? What about the players who DO care, how are they to know it's not aimed at them? Of course fans care about SUFC .. I'm not saying tolerate everything in a happy clappy fashion just give it a rest for 10 mins maybe. A lot of the yelling from my part of the ground is way OTT and counter productive in my opinion.

My understanding is that the Chairman's aggressive attitude (over dividing the future spoils of FF) has frightened potential, wealthy backers away.I'm aware of at least one such potential backer,a former supporter of ours,who is now involved with Chelmsford FC.

Being a pedant here but Chelmsford FC haven't existed since 1938.

I sure you mean Chelmsford City

[QUOTE="luke_1983uk, post: 2202659, member: 3048"]Were they in roughly ROW I? Centre towards the directors box?

Im about to put a complaint in against them?

Id actually say its torture sitting there
[/QUOTE]

Spot on Luke.FWIW,we were in seats 44/45//46Row K.Directly behind them.Torture is exactlly the right word.FWIW,my mate,who'd come down from Norfolk for the game and was a supply teacher for 15 years said they'd never amount to anything.Please feel free to use my comments in any complaint to the club.

I don't think Ron is accepting any responsibility.

Sturrock saved us and then Steve Kavanagh acquired and controlled Brown between October 2012 and October 2016. Once Kavanagh left it all went down hill rapidly- transfer window after transfer window.

Brown must have created dressing room division with big money signings on silly wages and long contracts.

Don’t be surprised if Sol Campbell attracted players he know well, who play for Macclesfield and he will raid for their best players who would give 100% on the pitch.

Agreed, that is quite simple. However there is a difference between being interested and having a right to know, which is how I would define something being ‘our business’.

I think you’ve misconstrued my original point mate. I’m not impling we had a right to know. For sure, Ron owes us no explanation at all, if he doesn’t want to.

Im saying that if @rigsby is correct (and I should say I’ve no reason to doubt him whatsoever) then it’s - at the very least - something of significant interest to us. Specifically, does this personal investment, come back as a debt to The Football Club.

We seem to find money for new players, stadium plans, high wages, new managers, stadium re-plans, paying off players, paying off managers & clearing winding up orders..... all whilst supposedly being skint.

Ron doesn’t need to explain to us, he needs his own Vegas residency, because David Copperfield hasn’t got **** on him

Whilst we have an emotional connection to the club and there is a moral (and legal) responsibility for financial probity in its’ finances it isn’t actually ‘our club’ unless we have a shareholding in it. Even then, it would be highly unusual for one shareholder to consider it their business to know the personal finances of another shareholder.

Again, legally you’re spot on.

However, I’d argue that It’s in Ron’s interests as a business owner, that his customer base remains relatively satisfied, and more importantly, loyal, as it is with any other business.

Remember, without us, the business folds, regardless of who legally owns it.

He holds all the legal power, no doubt. But let’s not pretend that we have none.

We, the fans, are Southend United Football Club

So, unless there is evidence of wrongdoing (in which case the police are the people whose business that is) then I still don’t see how Ron’s personal finances outside of SUFC - which is where the money comes from essentially - is our business any more than our personal finances are any business of his.

I’m not advocating any wrongdoing. I’m just interested in how it affects the future of the Football Club.

No more, no less.

It's a minority in the South Stand but a very vocal minority. I don't mean the odd comment I mean all match long, every player is s**t, the manager is s**t, giving lessons in tactics .. my point was if it's that stressful stay at home. 'Letting the players know' never works. OK yes it's frustrating but singing 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' at a bunch of players who've won one league game all season and who's confidence is f**ked?? What about the players who DO care, how are they to know it's not aimed at them? Of course fans care about SUFC .. I'm not saying tolerate everything in a happy clappy fashion just give it a rest for 10 mins maybe. A lot of the yelling from my part of the ground is way OTT and counter productive in my opinion.

Well the East stand on a whole is behind Sol and his team (well seemed it at my end), but Ron does not help the situation pointing out the bloody obvious. He should be streets in front of us. What seems to be coming out is that the players have been in full blown rebellion on and off for two years! Years ago we had this love hate thing with Jobson, it was so divisive and definitely held the club back. If our situation now had happened back in the 70's we would have all gone and sat on the pitch. The players would have got lynched. But times move on and maybe direct action is frowned upon....but hell this rabble have got a lot to answer for!

Well the East stand on a whole is behind Sol and his team (well seemed it at my end), but Ron does not help the situation pointing out the bloody obvious. He should be streets in front of us. What seems to be coming out is that the players have been in full blown rebellion on and off for two years! Years ago we had this love hate thing with Jobson, it was so divisive and definitely held the club back. If our situation now had happened back in the 70's we would have all gone and sat on the pitch. The players would have got lynched. But times move on and maybe direct action is frowned upon....but hell this rabble have got a lot to answer for!
I can't disagree that this should've been addressed sooner, rumours about dressing room divisions, fitness, discipline, have been lingering on since the end of the Brown days with Ranger, Wordsworth, Timlin and others. Maybe where we finished that season and how we started last season papered over the cracks but boy are those cracks evident now. It's not in doubt that the ball was dropped big time, don't think any Southend fan would think otherwise. We didn't become an utter shambles overnight and it isn't ALL of the player's fault or the manager's fault.
I just don't get why people bother to turn up if they're going to chuck abuse for 90 mins, most of which is falling on deaf ears and helps no-one. They'd send more of a message by leaving an empty seat.

It's mainly because people like to go to football to have a moan.

Back in the early 80's I remember standing on the West Bank and hearing people moaning away all evening.

Inherently, if you care about something you generally want it to be right and all OK. When it isn't and it's hard to do much about it, the natural reaction is to moan in frusttration.

Last edited:
It's mainly because people like to go to football to have a moan.

Back in the early 80's I remember standing on the West Bank and hearing people moaning away all evening.
I don't mind the odd moan, can be amusing but there were a couple of prize tools in the South Upper on Saturday, who got right on my nerves with their constant negativity and superior knowledge. Also, don't agree with the chanting at Dover or the abuse that gets dished out on social media. It's our club, we show our love in different ways .. but what's the use in stating the flipping obvious over and over again for 90 mins. Think to be fair Andy, we are all fed up at the minute and if we were mid table I'd most likely ignore it. I'm usually immune to it. Also in fairness we haven't won at home in a while .. tinpot trophy aside.

Spot on and totally agree @Leigh_Seasider .

There's a difference between moaning at a frustrating incident and going to the ground with the express intention of hating every minute of it. I share your pain in that regard.

The latter irritate me too. The sort that doesn't like a particular player and will just pick every little thing they do wrong, ignoring the majority of what they do right.

I remember being away at Norwich and the bloke in front just hated Gary Jones. Moan, moan, moan. Then Jones scored the winner. Needless to say, he got it back with both barrels from many around him.

It actually made everyone's day.

Surely it can't be that precarious at Chelmsford City, I'm a good friend of Leroy Lita's and he signed for them a couple of weeks ago. I'd imagine he won't be on a pittance there and will likely be one of their top earners. I believe they've signed a few players recently who are well known names in non-league circles too. Are they throwing money at players which the club can't afford?

They have had the tax man after them recently and apparently they still owe money to their manager Rod Stringer.

The six signings need to be players who can get us out of league 2 not crappy loanees from prem clubs like ndukwu and Hamilton.

Absolutely! We need 6 new players who will be first 6 names on the first XI team sheet, week in week out (injuries permitting :Smile:).

... and in the PL.

Always amuses me when I hear colleagues at work, moaning about their teams trials & tribulations (they tend to be Man Utd & West Ham fans in the main). Not sure how they’d cope with being a Southend fan.

Soppy ****s.

Since Sainsburys pulled out the project has obviously grown in size and cost. Ron has also binned BL because he says they wanted to much. So its not just individuals who dot pass the Ron financial test.

That aside if you were in Rons shoes and owned RH and FF. If you had done all the hard miles, like financially, the council, Sainsburys, angry fans outside the family home and last but no least following your team home up and down the country.....Would you really give a large slice of your big pay day to someone else....A Johnny come lately who will only borrow the money same as you would.

Ron has stated he will wipe off the £17m debt. Donate land for the church, flats from FF to fund the clubs future and a state of the art Academy with two indoor pitches with domes etc.....So maybe turning down investment now is actually a good thing for us fans ?

What if a new owner said bollocks to all that lets just have a Col U stadium, more housing and shops and make sure we maximise profit?

Nothing more to be said really. Quite.

Back