• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it somewhat concerning that Northern Italy has been quarantined, but flights from that part of the world are still freely entering into our country.

You’d assume that there were some form of checks, before they got here, but still it seems a bit blasé, considering.

Considering what? That the media have hyped up the British public into a frenzy again.

4 people in the UK have died due to Corona virus and they were possibly ill with a low immune system in the first place. 4 people out of some 60 odd million

1000's die of Cancer, malnutrition, Influenza and other viral infections every day. I'm not concerned with Corona Virus in the slightest

Overheard a chap at Chalkwell station this morning informing 3 or 4 others that Belfairs school had been closed since last week due to the virus. Both my kids go there, it isn't closed. A parent of a student there has tested positive, but the school are being rational and remaining open while monitoring the situation.

Just been announced that a grandfather of a Westcliff High School for boys pupil has tested positive for the virus. He visited the school last week it seems and now he and a number of teachers are in self isolation but the school remains open.

Wrong, thanks for playing. Spanish flu was so named because of their health system which had a better understanding of how to bring it under control.

And it sounds better than Kentucky Flu.
I believe MK is correct. Nations who were at war downplayed the impact of the flu for reasons of public morale, Spain didn't have that need so were honest and that lead to the misconception they had more cases.

How’s the locals reacting in Spain?

Obviously I wouldn’t expect the most laid back nation in Europe to be too panicked :Winking:

Not a lot of "panic" on show here in Barna.But last week my wife did ask at the Chemist's if they had any masks (we've got an elderly relative of hers staying with us atm) only to be told they'd sold out.I'm sure she'll be fine.At 86 she's got more energy than most. :Smile:

Last edited:
Considering what? That the media have hyped up the British public into a frenzy again.

4 people in the UK have died due to Corona virus and they were possibly ill with a low immune system in the first place. 4 people out of some 60 odd million

1000's die of Cancer, malnutrition, Influenza and other viral infections every day. I'm not concerned with Corona Virus in the slightest

Whilst I do agree somewhat, they very fact that there is no vaccine for those groups at risk is why the Government need to do something. The NHS cannot cope with 1000s of extra people turning up and dying. My step-son has diabetes, my mum is almost 91, my father in law 84....the very people in that group.

Whilst I do agree somewhat, they very fact that there is no vaccine for those groups at risk is why the Government need to do something. The NHS cannot cope with 1000s of extra people turning up and dying. My step-son has diabetes, my mum is almost 91, my father in law 84....the very people in that group.

I agree that there are 'at risk' groups but the the media are making people panic for no reason. Those 'at risk' just need to be more careful. Washing hands regularly, using a tissue once and disposing of it etc etc

I agree that there are 'at risk' groups but the the media are making people panic for no reason. Those 'at risk' just need to be more careful. Washing hands regularly, using a tissue once and disposing of it etc etc

I don't think the media can be fully blamed for making people panic. People do that themselves because that's their nature.

The media frenzy IMO, hasn’t been too bad tbh. They could have done a lot worse. I haven’t seen too many obvious lies or propaganda stories flying about.

But regardless, it’s irrelevant to the point.

I don’t see how we, The U.K., can freely accept visitors from an area which has been purposely quarantined, in order to stop the spread of the virus.

Precisely.

It’s one thing to defend against the current problem, but it’s another fight altogether, when you’re voluntarily adding to that problem.

I don't think the media can be fully blamed for making people panic. People do that themselves because that's their nature.

Agreed.

The media - in the main - are vermin, IMO.

But this spate of panic, is down to human beings and their survivalistic nature.

I heard a psychologist on the radio this morning, and he put it down to an inherent trait that we have, which is akin to a fear of regret.

Hence people panic buying crap that they don’t really need, so there’s no danger of them missing out & regretting it, when they had the chance. That’s nothing to do with the media, that’s just a human beings’ nature.

Although I stand by the point that it’s dumb and selfish to fortify yourself with an armageddon’s worth of bog roll.

I find it somewhat concerning that Northern Italy has been quarantined, but flights from that part of the world are still freely entering into our country.

You’d assume that there were some form of checks, before they got here, but still it seems a bit blasé, considering.

In and out apparently, although I cannot imagine those going in have many people on board, just shifting more out.

I get that its scary for the elderly & infirm etc., but the rest of us have just got to get on with life. If we catch it, we'll more than likely get over it with no big drama. The world can't stop for a few months, business has to continue, people have to get on trains & plains etc. Otherwise we'll be in for mass unemployment & the mother of all recessions that will make the banking crisis look like a petty cash shortfall. The media are doing what they always do by ramping up the panic. Trouble is we're teaching the younger generations to panic every time there's any kind of 'crisis', we're sending out the message time and time again that pannicking is the norm. I mean for christ sakes our parents / grand parents depending on your age lived through world wars & still went to school while the bombs dropped. And they didn't panic-buy all the bog rolls either.

Wife's been shopping for Toilet Rolls on-line again with home delivery included.

She is always sees a bargain but she also seams to get the sizes and quantities wrong.

paper-towels-delivery-FC5TKD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back