• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

Just read the whole thread, amazed at the resilience of us Blues, what a horrific six months, we have had. put into insignificance by a global pandemic. I have to admire the optimism, which has up lifted me.
Since the start of these latest ground designs, back many years, I wanted to see our club evolve being part of the community. Maybe at last Ron has got the message that, that’s what the council will only entertain?
I’m sure this scheme is still some years away, but at least is does seem to have some reality attached to it.

Please stay safe UTB’s

Yes,the paddock(east side) too — I don’t recall people jolting the stool I always had to stand on to see over the wall.
And yes,nobody who was there could ever forget Bernt Trautmann’s performance—it was even better than Paul Smith’s at Brentford !

......and he didn’t give a goal away......

Perhaps it was due to Trautmann's great performance the year earlier, that, IIRC, the billboards of a national paper around match day (was it the Evening News or The Star?), concentrated on Gil Merrick's views on the coming Birmingham City Cup clash with Southend United?
I f remember correctly Southend played in Gold shirts and we got walloped 6-1

Noticed that Debenhams could pull out of the high street. Wonder if they will blame this on the ground!!

Unusually out of town shops are different to high street shops and Basildon had lots of these, so it could have brought business in from there.

Noticed that Debenhams could pull out of the high street. Wonder if they will blame this on the ground!!

Unusually out of town shops are different to high street shops and Basildon had lots of these, so it could have brought business in from there.
Debenhams are very close too or about to file for administration, they have been on the brink for a long time, even Mike Ashley bought a piece of them. Cant see really how they can blame the ground

Doubt it relates to the ground, specially now with no retain being involved. Just another victim of the decline of retail coupled with the Coronavirus. Been on the cards long before the current situation.

Just read the whole thread, amazed at the resilience of us Blues, what a horrific six months, we have had. put into insignificance by a global pandemic. I have to admire the optimism, which has up lifted me.
Since the start of these latest ground designs, back many years, I wanted to see our club evolve being part of the community. Maybe at last Ron has got the message that, that’s what the council will only entertain?
I’m sure this scheme is still some years away, but at least is does seem to have some reality attached to it.

Please stay safe UTB’s

If the council had wanted houses years ago thats exactly what Ron would have done. It would have made life a lot easier it would have made him far more profit.

It has been along journey from Sainsburys at RH and a stadium at FF.....Now its over 1300 residential units across the two sites.

If the council had wanted houses years ago thats exactly what Ron would have done. It would have made life a lot easier it would have made him far more profit.

It has been along journey from Sainsburys at RH and a stadium at FF.....Now its over 1300 residential units across the two sites.

Absolutely- its all about politics and the priority for new housing is a political necessity in a way that it never was previously. For the first time Ron is offering to solve a big political headache re. delivering on housing targets- and politics trumps everything. For once Ron finds himself as a friend rather than foe to the politicians which is why this may now all happen faster than people might anticipate..

Ron really can pick his timings.

1st attempt - Global recession hits and financing is pulled
2nd attempt - Global viral pandemic

Ron really can pick his timings.

1st attempt - Global recession hits and financing is pulled
2nd attempt - Global viral pandemic
The 2nd probably helps him- big infrastructure projects even more likely to get the battered economy moving- particularly desperately needed housing. The funder (Housing England) basically has access to vast funds at near zero interest..

not that RM will get much of that but with a strong revenue potential
like that a stadium for 25 million should be ok ...

I DEMAND PADDED SEATS

The rhetoric from the council seems very different now. This reads as if they are trying to solve problems that they have previously left to Ron to solve.

That's good, I know Ron had traffic measures they expected him to deal with going back for further than you'd expect. This reads that they are taking responsibility for what is probably the key junction.

It does mention 26,000 houses over the next 20 years. That surely makes the latest FF plan as safe as......houses

On the other hand if we went bust you could build another 1000 where the stadium was going to go....Then the domes and over the road to where the academy and 'green' parking would have gone.

Seeing as this is no longer about additional revenue streams that were previously deemed the big reason to leave roots hall, would it not be better to just build an extra 500 homes at Fossetts and stay at roots hall with a full rebuild?

I mean the whole point of Fossetts was revenue streams. There is no longer the revenue streams there.

I'd rather stay at the hall and build the stadium there.

Obviously this won't happen but it is a bit **** that we are moving there just for the sake of a new stadium now. And potentially a 3 sided one at that!

Back