• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Who goes??

Anyone who has played a league game, that is on a professional contract, counts I believe, so Rush for sure, depends on the status o& Klass and Acqah I guess as neither seems to be around

From what I remember Acquah was offered a new deal and didn’t sign it. He then started training with us again last month in a bid to impress MM. Makes me think he’s currently technically a free agent and therefore doesn’t count towards the limit. Probably explains why he hasn’t signed too as I guess we don’t want him taking up a space. Wonder if Acquah regrets not signing first time round?

Heard Gary Neville talking Salford last night and he said they only had 23 players, 17 of which are senior pros and the rest youth products; and they are probably one of the most secure clubs financially in the league. Problem is our ratios (youth/scenario) are just wrong at the mo and we need to resolve it. Plus our seniors like to get injured so doubly in trouble...

Last edited:
So because we used so many U23 players last season, they now count as part of the main squad and we can't move them back to the U23's, leaving space for new signings???

What because he scored a few goals for him in a Micky Mouse league a couple of years ago?

I haven't seen him perform once since hes come to Southend and last Saturday proved hes also not good enough for league two.

So because we used so many U23 players last season, they now count as part of the main squad and we can't move them back to the U23's, leaving space for new signings???

That’s the way I’ve taken it. If they’re on a professional contract and have made a senior appearance then they count towards the limit. Not sure if the senior appearance has to be League though.

So Kenny Coker and Callum Taylor for example shouldn’t count as I don’t believe they’re on pro contracts. But someone like Klass will.

They count as first team players under the rules of the embargo (max 23) they don't count for the league's 22 registered players max rule, so if we somehow lift the embargo we'll be well below the limit.

I’d off Oxley if possible, if not JD as he is suspect with injuries as well these days.

What because he scored a few goals for him in a Micky Mouse league a couple of years ago?

I haven't seen him perform once since hes come to Southend and last Saturday proved hes also not good enough for league two.
Seems premature to write players off based on a single game (especially since literally everyone was crap). He's one of the only players we've got that couldn't appear for the under 23s, aside from Oxley because of his salary I don't think we should be offloading the more senior players of the squad.

I’m not saying whether you would or I would, or even if MM should.

I’m just asking do you actually think he will given his past working relationship with him?

I’m not saying whether you would or I would, or even if MM should.

I’m just asking do you actually think he will given his past working relationship with him?

Brandon Goodship has never played in a decent Southend side that creates chances, plus was played wide left a lot of the time last year. I'm not saying I rate him on his showings so far, but I'm not sure I'm ready to write him off.

I reckon Kyprianou might be in the crosshairs. Has struggled with injuries, in a position where we have depth, and probably on a higher contract than most of the youngsters.

Yes good point, I hadn’t considered Kyps, but now feel that his injury problems are likely to go against him.

Would rather have Seaden in goal over Oxley anyway

Not sure about that.....had high hopes for him but as soon as he stepped up looked very vulnerable. I'm all for Oxley going as haven't seen a worse keeper here for years but need an experienced one in. These weak youth/20 year old keepers are not good enough. Bishop, Smith, Bex, Seadon.......just 60% of what is required in this very important position!

Yes good point, I hadn’t considered Kyps, but now feel that his injury problems are likely to go against him.

Not up to it even with a fit set of limbs!

Oxley, Seaden
Bwomono, Ralph, Clifford
Hobson, Lennon, White, Kyprianou, Taylor, MMN
Dieng, Demetriou, Hutchinson, Gard, Phillips
Green, Egbri, Kinali
Akinola, Kelman, Goodship

That’s 22 and doesn’t include Rush, Acquah, Callum Taylor, Klass who have all appeared for the first team

So who have I missed?

So the 23rd player is Alan McCormack?

Back