• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, driving home from essential shopping at Waitrose I took the sea front route to home. Lots of people out walking, large group together taking their dogs onto the beach area and several groups stopping off at one seafront kiosks for drinks. No other shops open so obviously lots of group exercise being taken. Average age was 40 or under and the strange thing was there wasn't one pensioner on view and that surprised me as I'd been told they spend all their time walking round the streets. I must have missed them all I guess.:Unsure:

Seems to me that the pensioners are haunting the shops and high streets while the rest of the people head out for open walks?

A lot of people used to say that about football fans in the 70's and 80's........Didn't let that spoil our fun though did we.

Quite a difference. 150 gathering close up, partying, no masks, touching the same surfaces, could potentially lead to many deaths if any of them are a carrier.

So, driving home from essential shopping at Waitrose I took the sea front route to home. Lots of people out walking, large group together taking their dogs onto the beach area and several groups stopping off at one seafront kiosks for drinks. No other shops open so obviously lots of group exercise being taken. Average age was 40 or under and the strange thing was there wasn't one pensioner on view and that surprised me as I'd been told they spend all their time walking round the streets. I must have missed them all I guess.:Unsure:

Pensioners are probably too busy booking cruises and winter breaks in The Algarve.

Seems to me that the pensioners are haunting the shops and high streets while the rest of the people head out for open walks?
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. They are naughty aren't they, probably terrorising the young that dare to venture out.

Pensioners are probably too busy booking cruises and winter breaks in The Algarve.
If they’re anything like my Nan they’ve had their daily walk and are back indoors by 8am. Surprised there weren’t any near Rossi’s though, last summer they mobbed the outside seating.

All this "the young are breaking the rules more" or "the elderly are breaking the rules more" stuff is pointless, there aren't prizes being handed out if your age group is the best behaved. Given how different people are seeing different things I suspect the reality is that all age groups have people breaking the rules and confirmation bias is making different people say different groups are doing it the most.

If they’re anything like my Nan they’ve had their daily walk and are back indoors by 8am. Surprised there weren’t any near Rossi’s though, last summer they mobbed the outside seating.

Pensioners love a Rossi's.

Specifically nursing a cup of tea for six hours whilst those with children wait for a table.

A lot of people used to say that about football fans in the 70's and 80's........Didn't let that spoil our fun though did we.

I remember that I was working at Harrow Probation office in 77/78.To say you were a football fan then (which I did) was like openly admiting you were a football hooligan (which I wasn't).

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. They are naughty aren't they, probably terrorising the young that dare to venture out.

I wasn't questioning their right to be out, I'm sure it's healthy for everyone to be out in the fresh air, I was just baffled by their choice of a fairly busy high street with most of the shops closed

I wasn't questioning their right to be out, I'm sure it's healthy for everyone to be out in the fresh air, I was just baffled by their choice of a fairly busy high street with most of the shops closed
I obviously can't talk with any authority, but Rayleigh high street contains M&S Food Hall, Rayleigh Food and Wine and a reasonable sized Iceland. It's possible some are shopping for food?

I obviously can't talk with any authority, but Rayleigh high street contains M&S Food Hall, Rayleigh Food and Wine and a reasonable sized Iceland. It's possible some are shopping for food?

Yes, I am one of those ! Several chemists and banks open too. I also take the opportunity to do a bit of extra walking past closed shops, along side roads and through the park as part of my daily exercise.

In Israel they are ahead of us in the numbers vaccinated relevant to the population size. They are now offering young people the jab but very few are taking up the offer. A bit worrying if the same thing happens in UK.

According to the Echo, some poor lovesick lad from Mersea was nicked by the OB and fined for travelling to Colchester to meet his girlfriend for a takeaway coffee. I feel really sorry for young people, it must be so terribly hard to maintain a relationship under the current circumstances - as many of us have said, the mental health fall out from this is going to be massive.

According to the Echo, some poor lovesick lad from Mersea was nicked by the OB and fined for travelling to Colchester to meet his girlfriend for a takeaway coffee. I feel really sorry for young people, it must be so terribly hard to maintain a relationship under the current circumstances - as many of us have said, the mental health fall out from this is going to be massive.
This is me at the moment, I haven't seen my girlfriend in person at all in 2021. Before Christmas we were bending the rules a bit because she was borderline living alone (she was renting the spare room of someone in their late 20s but they didn't get on so they never really interacted with each other) but now her contract's ended she's moved back home with her dad in Kent, so we're sticking to the rules. Video calls have been a lifesaver but it's obviously not the same as being able to see her in person so I can sympathise with this guy.

I don't know the story or the details, but what I will say, it's not just young people who can't see a partner where they live apart.

The wife and I are booked in for our jab on the 25th. That's the good news, the bad is our surgery hadn't informed us of said booking. I doubt many of you are with Giffords Cross but if you are, phone them and check, then double check your date if your tier has started vaccinations. They are completely useless and borderline negligent in the way they operate. The complaints about them are endless.

The wife and I are booked in for our jab on the 25th. That's the good news, the bad is our surgery hadn't informed us of said booking. I doubt many of you are with Giffords Cross but if you are, phone them and check, then double check your date if your tier has started vaccinations. They are completely useless and borderline negligent in the way they operate. The complaints about them are endless.

Maybe cut them some slack, this is the biggest Vaccination programme this Country has ever seen, mistakes will happen.

Just be greatful you're getting your jab :Happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back