• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you want Brown next season

Do you want Brown to stay?

• Total voters
I'm probably in the group of not fussed if Brown is the manager or not, I just want an appointment to be made soon of someone with experience at that level.

It’s an easy yes. Mainly because he has done a good job in turning the team round in the past 6 games and will build a competitive side for next season. But also because we can ill afford to spend months looking for an alternative manager and go into next season as unprepared as we were for this one.

What makes you think we're punching with PB? His disastrous spell in India, his disastrous spell with Swindon or his disastrous last year with us?

He's unbelievable at self-promotion. People actually believe he can do better than the National League.

He won't get a better job than this. He's lucky to have us, not the other way round.
We're in the NL now in case you've got your rose tinted specs on,and yes he is better than that .He has experience and contacts which is essential at this level.
You seriously can't include 20 games in India with the English game.His last spell with us came with almost a 40% win ratio over 250 games which is promotion level only ended with the very players that caused the problems starting our decline .As for Swindon he was only given 30 odd games so it's hard to call.
Self promotion....well we need every bit of publicity we can get otherwise our only media coverage will be on BBC Essex match reports with Chelmsford and Maldon and Tiptree.
He has knowledge of the club the set up ,and more importantly knows Fagan and Duncan.
We shouldn't even be here but for Ron ,but let's hear your alternatives for comparisons

Damned if we do, damned if we don’t.

I think he is going to probably be the best man for the job given the current circumstances.

Just as, if not, more importantly, is what goes on behind the scenes in regards to the CEO and getting the football side of things sorted whatever manager is in charge. I think @Ayrshire Blue summed it up nicely the other day in a previous Brown thread he started but my memory is a bit fuzzy so I could be wrong.

I voted yes. I never understand the whole "we need a manager who has national league experience" etc Say we go for someone with National league experience but not league experience and they get us promoted. Do we then say sorry, you've not got experience at this level / league

Only one regret from me. Brown should have been here a couple of months ago. After the 5-1 fiasco at Port Vale.
He has been a breath of fresh air since he came back.
He has got an extra 20% out of the players he knew he could, and he binned off the ones he knew were incapable of it.
What I like is his refreshing honesty saying he will rip up contracts if he thinks the player is not right for Southend United.
I just beg that Ron gives him a realistic budget and we can put this nightmare season behind us.

What makes you think we're punching with PB? His disastrous spell in India, his disastrous spell with Swindon or his disastrous last year with us?

He's unbelievable at self-promotion. People actually believe he can do better than the National League.

He won't get a better job than this. He's lucky to have us, not the other way round.
In Phil Brown's defence on his spell in India the club he was the manager of (Pune City) had severe financial difficulties and players weren't being paid (where have I heard that before) and eventually the club folded.

The club that replaced them in the league bought up all the players (along with Phil Brown) but given these were the players a skint team could afford it's not a big surprise they continued to be crap, after Brown was sacked they continued to be rubbish and it was only when Dortmund got involved at the start of this season that they started to improve.

I've said no for many of the reasons posted above.
IF he did get the job...and feel free to screen shot...save this tweet whatever, I'd bet he fills the squad with expensive 'experienced' (old) players with good EFL pedigree. A sure fire recipe for losing to hungry, determined passionate non league teams

I've said no for many of the reasons posted above.
IF he did get the job...and feel free to screen shot...save this tweet whatever, I'd bet he fills the squad with expensive 'experienced' (old) players with good EFL pedigree. A sure fire recipe for losing to hungry, determined passionate non league teams

Because untried youngsters has worked so well the last few years haha.

It’s an easy yes. Mainly because he has done a good job in turning the team round in the past 6 games and will build a competitive side for next season. But also because we can ill afford to spend months looking for an alternative manager and go into next season as unprepared as we were for this one.
Completely agree with this. I truly worry the clubs future now hinges on the next managerial appointment and the budget for the squad next year. If Ron cuts back and Phil walks, we could spend weeks/months looking for a replacement willing to take on a shoestring budget and @Danshrimper prediction will come true.

I

I like Rush, I think he's been a breath of fresh air. However, he struggled earlier in the season and looked out of his depth.

Walsh is still very young and showed his nativity off the ball Vs Orient when he left his man several times. I would see him more as a winger really.

Bottom line is I would have liked to see Akinola given a chance by Brown before being moved aside and potentially paid off. Same with ANG, although I disagree less with that decision.

But regardless of whether or not you rate those players, surely you give them a game or two when you can to let them prove themselves in actual games? Particularly as we have been as good as down since Col Ewe. Puzzling really.

Can only think it's a clash of personalities.

To be honest, I can't really argue your points. But I just think it's as simple as there not PB's preferred flavours.

Bit like MM not taking a shine to Kyp. For one reason or another, managers have favourites. Sometimes a good thing, other times a terrible thing.

Will be very interesting though what happens in summer as Akinola is contracted, got 16 goals last year in NL, that must be in PBs mind somewhere

The only reservations I have are to do with certain things during his first spell here. His tendency to recruit ageing/expensive/injury prone players, and his habit of linking himself to other jobs whilst under contract.

IMO the wages offered to lure those ageing experienced players here, are no longer available due to budget restrictions?.
And now his 61, i'd be surprised if he was linked to any jobs at clubs who are a couple of divisions above us?.
Since he departed 3 1/2 years ago, he has hardly 'pulled up any trees' at where his managed, albeit in circumstances his had no control over.

I voted yes. I never understand the whole "we need a manager who has national league experience" etc Say we go for someone with National league experience but not league experience and they get us promoted. Do we then say sorry, you've not got experience at this level / league
Correct- it’s almost like saying sorry you too good for us at the moment can you wait until we get promoted (which then won’t happen). I think Brown’s emphasis on attitude, commitment, fitness levels are very important for the NL but it’s not forbidden the players good enough for the EFL to have the attributes.

I also can imagine that managers who manage in League 2 look at all levels to source their players from. So any manager coming in would be looking at not only potential players but also how the team's are set up to play

Back