• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The inevitable impact of Covid19

Rona virus impact poll

• Not had the Rona

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Had it and it was flu , more or less.

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Had it, still not 100% or it took a lot out of me.

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
Interestingly ,the UK yesterday passed the milestone for over 150,000 covid -19 deaths.That ,of course, is a record high in Europe.A high price has been paid for HMG's (unofficial) herd immunity policy.

Interestingly ,the UK yesterday passed the milestone for over 150,000 covid -19 deaths.That ,of course, is a record high in Europe.A high price has been paid for HMG's (unofficial) herd immunity policy.
At some point though, the rest of Europe will have to come out of the other side of lockdowns, restrictions and all that brings. It’s just kicking the can further down the road. For what it’s worth I agree the UK got it wrong, possibly, in 2020 by not locking down sooner and harder but now? We have the vaccines, treatments, we know far more about the virus ..we can’t protect the population any more than we have ..
Wales/Scotland chose to ban crowds at football but has that made any difference??

At some point though, the rest of Europe will have to come out of the other side of lockdowns, restrictions and all that brings. It’s just kicking the can further down the road. For what it’s worth I agree the UK got it wrong, possibly, in 2020 by not locking down sooner and harder but now? We have the vaccines, treatments, we know far more about the virus ..we can’t protect the population any more than we have ..
Wales/Scotland chose to ban crowds at football but has that made any difference??

Personally I don't think anything makes much difference. The only thing would be a full lock down, but your only delaying the inevitable. I also think the time for lockdown measures has well and truly passed. The only problem is the demand on the hospitals, but that problem isn't just the pandemic. Its been in the making for the last ten years and morale is at an all time low. Staff are leaving, as the pandemic is the final straw.

Actually neither Spain nor France are in lockdown at present though there are certainly restrictions (which won't stop me from watching Espanyol tomorrow night)

Asides that each country has its own criteria for calculating numbers of Covid-related death….
Yes, I know a couple of doctors in Italy that insist the correct death details are set down, by that if they have a cancer or heart patient die who has the covid they put the MAIN cause of death forward, the cancer etc, not the hastening covid.
Like many things statistics are tools that need understanding not just reading on the bottom line.
And those stats are used for multiple reasons, some social, some economic, some political.

Asides that each country has its own criteria for calculating numbers of Covid-related death….
The number in the UK is based on people reporting testing postive for covid in the 28 days before their death.The figures I've quoted are official figures which were widely quoted in the media.Aside from being the country in Europe with the most deaths (and remember Germany has a greater population,while France's is roughly similar) the UK ranks as the country in the world with the 4th highest death tol for covidl-the countries above them all have much greater populations.

Probably impossible to quantify. No measure is 100% effective (masks, vaccine, ventilation etc) but they probably all incrementally reduce risk

The number in the UK is based on people reporting testing postive for covid in the 28 days before their death.The figures I've quoted are official figures which were widely quoted in the media.Aside from being the country in Europe with the most deaths (and remember Germany has a greater population,while France's is roughly similar) the UK ranks as the country in the world with the 4th highest death tol for covidl-the countries above them all have much greater populations.
To be honest with you, most Euro Countries have had poor death rates, Italy have 140k and have a smaller population to the UK. Then you take 2nd and 3rd World Countries who don't have the facilities to report or even treat Covid numbers.

It's impossible to get correct states on every Countries deaths, so many differerent health care systems and in some cases none at all.

Out of all the Countries (1st World) I'd question America's deaths, massive Country yet a small population compared to the size, yet nearly a million.

Last edited:
To be honest with you, most Euro Countries have had poor death rates, Italy have 140k and have a smaller population to the UK. Then you take 2nd and 3rd World Countries who don't have the facilities to report or even treat Covid numbers.

It's impossible to get correct states on every Countries deaths, so many differerent health care systems and in some cases none at all.

Out of all the Countries (1st World) I'd question America's deaths, massive Country yet a small population compared to the size, yet nearly a million.

Agreed.But the UK is still number 1 for covid-19 deaths as announced in the msm.

Agreed.But the UK is still number 1 for covid-19 deaths as announced in the msm.

As I said in the second paragraph, so many different health care systems who report differently. ie was it the primary cause or secondary, it's hard to agree or disagree with you, I just don't know.

If China had you believe, they had two deaths (joking) they're probably the worst in the World with several millions.

As one example, it was known relatively early on that Germany were calculating numbers of deaths in a different manner to the UK……so there is no way of comparing like with like on said stats…..

As one example, it was known relatively early on that Germany were calculating numbers of deaths in a different manner to the UK……so there is no way of comparing like with like on said stats…..
You still appear to be denying what was widely anounced in the British media the other day that the landmark figure of 150,000 covid-19 deaths in the UK is a record for Europe.

The manner in which the UK counts it's Covid fatalities is open to scrutiny as it has yet to be proven that all those deaths were as a result of Covid or just a convenient statistical exercise. However, taking that argument further would become political so lets not go there.

Anyone remember when we used to debate whether or not we locked down at the right time? Or how we didnt have enough ppe? Most people probably didnt know what ppe was or what the word furlough meant! I know I didnt( furlough that is). All seems strange now!

You still appear to be denying what was widely anounced in the British media the other day that the landmark figure of 150,000 covid-19 deaths in the UK is a record for Europe.

Also reported in the MSM but not as often. One Third of of all positives are false. So that figure is down to 100,000.......If you rely on one set of stats.

Also reported in the MSM but not as often. One Third of of all positives are false. So that figure is down to 100,000.......If you rely on one set of stats.

There's obviously a huge difference between covid-19 deaths and false positives on (presumably) LFT's.In any case your logic is entirely faulty here.

Back