• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Kings Lynn

My MOM was Neale. Just the player we have needed for a long time. Keeps the team ticking over and unlucky not to score.

Excellent debuts from Cardwell and Davies. And although it was a short cameo I have to say Husin is potentially the best of the lot. Looks a serious talent.

Best part of the game for me was ‘Dennis is on fire’ ringing around roots hall for 5 minutes straight in the second half. 19 year old lad who’s career may not end up hitting its potential, but he’s just lived out every single one of our dreams in this thread to have his name sang like that. I for one hope his mum was in the crowd again to witness.

Also thought Atkinson and Hobbo were immense. Really impressed by Cardwell’s hair, didn’t play too badly either.

UTB

More positive controlled football on show from the Blues tonight. A win we deserved. Thought their goal originated from a corner that wasn't so the pen evened it out. Hobbo's assist was a delight to see. Cardwell and Dennis ("the Menace"?) frightenly fast in first 20/30 mins and Hussin also appears rocket fuelled. Good to see players moving off the ball better and for each other. We're winning so much more ball in the air and second balls as to be unrecognisable from where we have been. Great atmosphere and a good crowd (and no drunken solo vocalist in the East Stand tonight??)

What a shift from the boys todays, who the **** am I watching?

Arnold - 7
Arnold did his part in goal today as he usually does, some very good saves, notably the second half save from their number 10, distribution could be better at times but I don't think that has ever been his strong point. Not sure he could've done much more about their goal.

Davies - 7
A very solid full debut from Davies, I enjoyed watching him, his crossing is VERY good and could do some real damage with Cardwell and Dalby at the other end once all jelled together, some real potential in him and a very good replacement for Demi once his time is done.

Lopata - 7
Solid at the back as usual, the Polish Maldini, enough said.

Atkinson - 8
This man runs for ****ing days, no matter what age he is, he puts everything into his performance for the team and he has definitely earnt himself the rest of the season, I cannot believe he keeps running and running and running...

Ralph - 7
Fits all too well into the left centre back role, he's able to do what he does best on the left as he would when he plays left back but also has a great deal of qualities as a central defender, works so well with Clifford.

Clifford - 7
I just love him, what a player he is, always try to see himself into the box, his defending on the left is impeccable, a few times he seemed to not be able to kick the ball properly today., especially which lead to their goal, but everyone makes mistakes and I think he made up for his mistakes in the rest of the game.

Hobson - 8
**** me Hobson is such a weird player to me, 70% of the game he's insane, the other 30% makes me shiver, his assist was ridiculously good, I'm not sure who's allowing him to go up the field but by all means, carry on ?

Neal - 8
Roy Keane. That's it.

Dennis - 9
HE'S GOD DAMN FAST, it's like we've signed a new loanee which never got announced, being used in the right way, he loves to chase the ball and does so well in doing so, so many goals can come out of him.

Cardwell - 8
Haven't seen a better debut in a while, he's fast, he's tall and he's an extremely good looking guy, even after 90 minutes. So much potential in him, what a signing.

Dalby - 7
So I thought Dalby was quite poor in parts today, seems to have lost himself a bit recently but I'm hoping the penalty restores some confidence in himself and kicks on back to how he was, and with this team around him, I think he can be very good.

Subs:

Husin - N/A

Not going to lie, I was too busy ****ting myself to remember or focus on any players.

Ferguson - N/A
There was a very big cheer for his name that surprised me! Thought a lot didn't like him, but again was too busy ****ting myself to remember.. ?

Hobson is an unbelievably talented footballer for about 60% of the game. Outrageously good. But then there’s the 40% that just makes it a bit too interesting.

**** me Hobson is such a weird player to me, 70% of the game he's insane, the other 30% makes me shiver
You don’t know what you’re talking about mate. ?

We deserved that win. Fabulous to see the South Lower enjoying a game of football and banter between Arnold and the fans, plus how chuffed was he after Dalby scored. The team seem to be playing for the shirt again and for each other. I wasn’t even worried at 1-0, I had every confidence we’d get back into it.

I thought Cardwell looked a real talent..strong with a great touch, he just looks the part. We looked a threat going forward, great link up play, intelligent little passes, plenty of balls into the box. Loved the Dennis song (as did he!)

I can’t really fault anyone individually and can only see us improving. Great night under the floodlights!

My man of the match: the crowd.

1-0 down at half-time against a team second bottom of the conference and they never turned. That is what gives me hope for the future.

We just about deserved the win. Kings Lynn looked much improved from the opening day of the season. Like us, a managerial change has clearly helped. We dominated the first half but faded second half after a bright start and the equaliser.

Cardwell looks an ideal target man at this level: tall, strong and mobile. His touch or lack of decisiveness betrayed him a few times and suggests why he’s at this level but he’ll do. He even won the ball a remarkable number of times just getting blocks in. He and Dalby got in each other’s way first half but they seemed to sort it out second half allowing Sam to have a more influential second half. That penalty will have done wonders for his confidence having just signed a striker and Dennis on a scoring streak.

Husin looks a cut above. It was only a cameo but he made the right decisions and weighted his passes. Also put in a delicious cross. Can’t wait to see him play more.

Arnold was immense. First half he was our most potent threat playing some superb balls for Cardwell and Dennis to run onto. Dennis continues to frustrate with his rawness. Too many moves end with him but he was on the scoresheet again and his ability is tantalising.

I thought Atkinson was poor. His head down style doesn’t fit with the way we’re trying to play and his failure to close down allowed the cross for their goal. He played a couple of decent balls for him but too often played people into cul-de-sacs. He looked short of fitness, particularly second half when we were getting overrun in midfield. Our bench is improved but lacks pace. Someone to take advantage of tiring legs amongst the part-timers is a must in this division, especially with Dennis unable to play 90 minutes.

For the second league game in a row our under/overlapping centre-halves proved critical. Hobson showed why he plays ahead of John White with a great bit of skill and composure. I think he’s played every minute under Maher.
It’s early days for Davies. Think he needs a run of games.

Overall, it’s great to have our club back. We’re Southend United and we’re on our way back.

Buzzing with the 2-1 win. We got lucky, seriously lucky but we've been on the end of howlers like that the last few years, never for.

I thought Atkinson had a great 60 mins, but faded as the game went further than that. He was my MOTM though, he was in the bin a few months ago but I'd go as far as saying he's one of the first names on the team sheet now. Fair play to the lad he runs and fights for the shirt.

The new signings were a bit rusty and a few things didn't come off, but it will hopefully stick going forward.

3 league wins in a row man...how good is that!!

Blimey Best signing of the week was kept under the radar, we have a ref on the books!!!

Great win, again loads of character coming through from the team.

Cardwell is a great signing, will cause loads of problems against opposition defences. Hobson another great performance.

Arnold maintained his concentration superbly and kept us in it at times.

Everyone shows pride in the shirt now and once again the positivity was there to see.

Fantastic!

Onto Aldershot!

UTB
Got to say Arnold is one of the best signings ever for our predicament and this League.
Arise sir Phil Brown, one right 8 wrong!

My man of the match: the crowd.

1-0 down at half-time against a team second bottom of the conference and they never turned. That is what gives me hope for the future.

We just about deserved the win. Kings Lynn looked much improved from the opening day of the season. Like us, a managerial change has clearly helped. We dominated the first half but faded second half after a bright start and the equaliser.

Cardwell looks an ideal target man at this level: tall, strong and mobile. His touch or lack of decisiveness betrayed him a few times and suggests why he’s at this level but he’ll do. He even won the ball a remarkable number of times just getting blocks in. He and Dalby got in each other’s way first half but they seemed to sort it out second half allowing Sam to have a more influential second half. That penalty will have done wonders for his confidence having just signed a striker and Dennis on a scoring streak.

Husin looks a cut above. It was only a cameo but he made the right decisions and weighted his passes. Also put in a delicious cross. Can’t wait to see him play more.

Arnold was immense. First half he was our most potent threat playing some superb balls for Cardwell and Dennis to run onto. Dennis continues to frustrate with his rawness. Too many moves end with him but he was on the scoresheet again and his ability is tantalising.

I thought Atkinson was poor. His head down style doesn’t fit with the way we’re trying to play and his failure to close down allowed the cross for their goal. He played a couple of decent balls for him but too often played people into cul-de-sacs. He looked short of fitness, particularly second half when we were getting overrun in midfield. Our bench is improved but lacks pace. Someone to take advantage of tiring legs amongst the part-timers is a must in this division, especially with Dennis unable to play 90 minutes.

For the second league game in a row our under/overlapping centre-halves proved critical. Hobson showed why he plays ahead of John White with a great bit of skill and composure. I think he’s played every minute under Maher.
It’s early days for Davies. Think he needs a run of games.

Overall, it’s great to have our club back. We’re Southend United and we’re on our way back.
A good report- other than your contrary views again on Atkinson who clearly has run over your cat. Forget the cat. It was a cat.

Arnold - made a couple of good saves to keep us in the game first half. 7
Davies - looked decent on his debut. Certainly quicker than JD and he provides some excellent crosses. Good signing. 7
Clifford - Found it tough against their big striker but defended quite well offering some decent crosses going forward. Set pieces were a bit off tonight. 7
Lapota - didn't put a foot wrong and led the line well. 8
Ralph- decent performance wining some important headers. 8
Hobson - Best performance of the season. Composed at the back and what a run and assist for Dennis. 9
Neal - A few passes went astray first half but come our dominant in the second, taking control of the midfield. 7
Atkinson - Had a reasonable game and ran constantly. Couldn't ask much more for his expiring years.
Dennis- caused problems with his runs and another goal. Made his place in the side now. 7
Dalby - better in the second half. Hold up play again excellent and deserved his goal from the spot. 8
Cardwell - Impressive debut. Closes down, attacks the ball, and has pace and power. I would, and so would the wife .... 8

Ferguson - nothing to judge.
Husin- brief cameo but looks a very decent signing, very good on the ball.

Last edited:
Back