• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning Updates- All The Latest Details. 28/03/2022

Redeveloping RH would have required the very deep pockets of a club supporting benefactor who wanted nothing more from it than to see the club grow and improve. Like a Jack Walker (Blackburn) or a Jack Hayward (Wolves). Those types are very rare. Most club owners are in it either for the ego trip, the hope the club will grow and do well so they can sell it for a profit, or because there's a property angle involved, like Ron. I'm not aware of any die hard Southend fans with multiple millions of spare cash in their back pockets who are likely to spend i'd say at least £20m to bring RH anything like up to date, just as a gift to the club. The bottom line is we need a new stadium, even if it is going to be three stands strung between blocks of flats.

At the moment Roothall is a stadium surronded by houses and flats so where is the differce .Oh yes i forgot no fish n chip shop .And of course no pubs apart from the pub in prirory cressent .

By whom? And if if hadn’t been neglected would it have been viable?
I don't remember who. Roots Hall has been awful for a very long time. It was VJ that started the ball rolling. I remember years ago he made the point that the East stand had sunk a couple of inches. It has been neglected for longer than RM has been in charge.

But more to the point, the state of RH is irrelevant because the plan would be to knock the whole thing down and move the pitch so that decent size stands can be built all around.

The issue, as has been pointed out ad nauseum is the cost. The only reason we can afford a new stadium at all is because the RH site is worth a lot of money and can be used to finance the build. Clearly that isn't possible if RH is redeveloped because there'd be nowhere to build the houses that will pay for it.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sentimental aha. Maybe fans could save roots hall or something.

*ducks*

I’m pretty sentimental aha. Maybe fans could save roots hall or something.

*ducks*
If you have a few million quid to spare or you know where to find it then fine, go ahead.

I think we are way too late to be worrying about redeveloping Roots Hall.

The main argument against that would have been the cost of the redevelopment. Whatever that cost was, it would just not have been affordable.

I don't want to leave Roots Hall either but sometimes we have to accept the inevitable and move on.

I too am attached to Roots Hall and have been going since I was 8 years old -originally taken by my father and Uncle and stood in the paddocks.
I have stood and watch SUFC from every stand at the club

I really don't want to leave but know we have to as the stadium is now not fit for purpose so the sooner this is all planned the better for all.

Wow, that is exactly the same for me.

I think it's been made pretty clear that Roots Hall can't be saved.
And more to the point why? I’m in effect you have to knock it down to rebuild, it’s only roots hall by location. After x years playing in ??? while it is rebuilt. We should be pleased that the option is in Southend. I remember the chants from the north bank in the ‘90s when Jobson was looking at Basildon.

And more to the point why? I’m in effect you have to knock it down to rebuild, it’s only roots hall by location. After x years playing in ??? while it is rebuilt. We should be pleased that the option is in Southend. I remember the chants from the north bank in the ‘90s when Jobson was looking at Basildon.
Wouldn't you do one stand at a time and incorporate a shed load of flats to fund it ? Still, too late now.

Aside from anything else, imagine trying to get planning permission on a new, bigger stadium penned in tightly by houses on 3-4 sides. It's been hard enough getting permission to put it in some empty fields!

At the moment Roothall is a stadium surronded by houses and flats so where is the differce .Oh yes i forgot no fish n chip shop .And of course no pubs apart from the pub in prirory cressent .
There will be large bar areas within the stadium development. Lack of local alternatives from a club viewpoint will probably be seen as a plus. Same on food outlets.

I too am attached to Roots Hall and have been going since I was 8 years old -originally taken by my father and Uncle and stood in the paddocks.
I have stood and watch SUFC from every stand at the club
I really don't want to leave but know we have to as the stadium is now not fit for purpose so the sooner this is all planned the better for all.
Yes it was the Paddock for me starting early 70s. Then the North (remember when the horrible fencing went up?). Lots of memories but our future and staying at RH are no longer compatible...regrettably..

Reactions: JAL
Redeveloping RH would have required the very deep pockets of a club supporting benefactor who wanted nothing more from it than to see the club grow and improve. Like a Jack Walker (Blackburn) or a Jack Hayward (Wolves). Those types are very rare. Most club owners are in it either for the ego trip, the hope the club will grow and do well so they can sell it for a profit, or because there's a property angle involved, like Ron. I'm not aware of any die hard Southend fans with multiple millions of spare cash in their back pockets who are likely to spend i'd say at least £20m to bring RH anything like up to date, just as a gift to the club. The bottom line is we need a new stadium, even if it is going to be three stands strung between blocks of flats.
I agree it could have been saved by somebody who cares about the heritage of the club. Who knows with all that’s going on what’s going to happen going forward. I’m doubtful fossetts will be built in the next 3 years.

I agree it could have been saved or redeveloped by somebody who cares about the heritage of the club. Who knows with all that’s going on what’s going to happen going forward. I’m doubtful fossetts will be built in the next 3 years.
We've moved from Roots Hall before. This has nothing to do with caring or otherwise. It's simply a financial issue. Unless you have 10s of millions to pay for the stadium without having to rely on the revenue generated from the residential units you're faced with the only option, which is to move...which (as I've said before) we've already done once.

We've moved from Roots Hall before. This has nothing to do with caring or otherwise. It's simply a financial issue. Unless you have 10s of millions to pay for the stadium without having to rely on the revenue generated from the residential units you're faced with the only option, which is to move...which (as I've said before) we've already done once.
I guess the question now is can rm deliver ff and rh flats. And if it all falls through I guess a new owner will have to give it a go.

Back