• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Boreham Wood

A word about the ref. We have seen a lot worse last season. Yes they fraudulently went down to stop us gaining any momentum but the ref can’t do anything g about that. Making the pampered little princesses a protected species allows them to cheat.

Until football changes the rules to either play on with them laying on the floor or injury time is doubled. Then this tactic has arrived at this level and get used to it.

The first sending off could have been a straight red but he was still sent off with a second yellow.
Football needs to introduce the stopped clock.

Yes today was awful and about the only player to rate more than a 6 was Miley, but let's put some perspective here:

Most of pre-season was planned with Dalby up front. A hold up, back to goal type of player.

Dalby leaves.

Hyde is in and the preceding week in training is no doubt about how to play with Hyde up front - an experienced and tough NL forward who can lead a line on his own and give it out physically.

8 minutes in and Hyde is injured. On comes Wreh, a lad totally not suited to leading the line on his own, a lad who is inexperienced and who needed a partner. All the previous weeks of planning go out the window and we have no one on the bench who can slot in to the Hyde role. We huffed and puffed but looked very average but let's give the Management Team a break as this team was not of their first choice.

Having said that I thought that Clifford and Hussin were really poor today.
Dalby wouldn't have held up anything against the boreham wood defence he was no where near strong enough Imo, most would agree Clifford has gone backwards as for Husin he used to try a shot from outside the box not now though.

Yet Jordan Henderson went down yesterday, it wasn’t a head injury, the ref allowed play to continue.....and Fulham duly scored.

Yet Jordan Henderson went down yesterday, it wasn’t a head injury, the ref allowed play to continue.....and Fulham duly scored.

Although BW seem to be master of the dark arts the referee allowed treatment for their players because at the time the ball was dead, throw in, goal kick etc. If it was a head injury he would have blown his whistle even if the ball was still in play.

for all off bridges ability ,the one thing he dosent possess is the ability to score goals, im sorry KM but unless you can get in a proven goalscorer quickly you are going to have 5000 supporters on your back ,plus a hard man in central defence
...and you don't want a hard man from central defence on your back, or the Spanish Inquisition. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

A word about the ref. We have seen a lot worse last season. Yes they fraudulently went down to stop us gaining any momentum but the ref can’t do anything g about that. Making the pampered little princesses a protected species allows them to cheat.

Until football changes the rules to either play on with them laying on the floor or injury time is doubled. Then this tactic has arrived at this level and get used to it.

The first sending off could have been a straight red but he was still sent off with a second yellow.
Could he have waited until the ball went out of play to allow treatment? Thought that was the rule anyway (exc head injury)

The referee can do this at his own discretion if he suspects time wasting I believe. Yesterday's ref clearly did not.
He, or any ref, would have to revise that if there was a pitch-side clock operated by the fourth official and available for scrutiny.

I felt sorry for the players a little bit yesterday. Felt like a few were playing out of position and were therefore ineffective.

Husin is not a deep lying midfielder. He was most effective last season when playing further up the pitch and a lot closer to the front two.

We had a huge hole between the midfield and the striker yesterday. We haven't adequately filled that hole since Wordsworth left. Husin did fill it a few times last season but mainly away from home. It is a lot easier to fill that hole when we play a front two. Maybe we will do that when everyone is fit, but at the moment, we are playing people out of position until everyone is fit.

I felt sorry for both Bridge and Mooney yesterday as they had no one to cross to. What's the point in having two wingers with no number 9?

Wreh hustled hard and ran the channels well but you can see that he needs a number 9 with him, just like Dalby did.

I do think going forward, we will play Taylor and Miley together, like we did with Neal and Atkinson, to be more solid. That will take a while though until we get Demi back.

As for Taylor, I thought he played really well yesterday. I was really worried about him playing that role but he was really solid.

The less said about the left side of defense the better. Their manager even stated that they targeted that area. Low and behold they scored from it from a great pass behind Clifford from Brunt.

I thought Kensdale looked really composed and I feel he'll have a good season.

It's not the end of the world and we can't forget that the team yesterday finished above us last season and will have their own playoff ambitions too. We don't have a devine right to just turn teams over and we will lose games. We hardly got turned over when it was 11v11 and they are a strong team with a super solid defense. We take it on the chin, learn and move on.

It’s not embarrassing if you win. If we played like that and won I’d be perfectly happy.
You might be perfectly happy but I think there are a lot of us who wouldn't be watching a team play like that 23 games a season.

Sometimes you have to win ugly, that's part of the game but to set your stall out doing that from day one...

You just haven't got a clue have you Steve, or are you just a little tease that likes to cause mayhem? Do tell us which is correct.
I do know we couldn't even beat a side with 9 men! I mean what do u think about that? No excuses really is there?

Although BW seem to be master of the dark arts the referee allowed treatment for their players because at the time the ball was dead, throw in, goal kick etc. If it was a head injury he would have blown his whistle even if the ball was still in play.
Not quite correct. At least twice the ball was in the keepers hands, but not out of play. And once we had already taken a free kick, so again ball was in play.

Back