• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Boreham Wood

Dalby wouldn't have held up anything against the boreham wood defence he was no where near strong enough Imo, most would agree Clifford has gone backwards as for Husin he used to try a shot from outside the box not now though.
Dalby held up plenty against big defenders. He did so using his intelligence to get into space and good touch to keep himself between him and the defender. We would have seen a lot more out of Bridge and Mooney if we’d had anyone as adept at that as he was. We need a forward who you can ping the ball into his body.

I do know we couldn't even beat a side with 9 men! I mean what do u think about that? No excuses really is there?
So no sign of choices between wind up or clueless then mate. Ok, I'll just have to make my own mind up on that one.

What position would you play Tom then? Left side of a front three?
Would like to see 442 with what we have
Ralph and Hobson the middle 2 at the back
If Kev wants to persist with wing backs with our limited selection id be tempted to leave Tom out.

Interesting thread.
So far: 1. They were bully boys.
2. The ref was atrocious.
3. No Dalby.
4. Hyde got injured early.
5. Players out of position.

In reality:

1. We knew they were bully boys. Exactly the same as last year. Either we had no plan to combat this or we did not execute one.

2. The ref did not make us play abysmally or stop us from doing even the basics right.

3. So we had no other plans in case Dalby was not with us or injured? Well that's shambolic.

4. Hyde got injured early. So what? We were not set up to make his presence effective even if he lasted ninety minutes.

5. Players out of position? That doozey did not just happen after they stepped onto the turf. Taylor was one and his performance was at least steady and not a contributing factor to our defeat.

The truth is we were substandard on the day. Neither the players nor management team can duck out of taking responsibility for what was an abject disgrace. If you lose after putting your best foot forward then that's football. When you lose and look like a clueless beaten side within five minutes then that is unacceptable.

As for their keeper being MoM. Really? He made a few regulation saves look better than they were, kept out a couple of possibles and really had too little to do.

I think this side has a lot more about it than we saw but looked bereft of leadership and no one had anything in the locker to turn the game. I was a fan of KM as a player and want him to succeed as the gaffer. I do however think he has got a lot of introspection to work through. I saw nothing in terms of progress from last season and if we are to look for league safety a great deal will need to change.

Would like to see 442 with what we have
Ralph and Hobson the middle 2 at the back
If Kev wants to persist with wing backs with our limited selection id be tempted to leave Tom out.
Have we two fit forwards to play up front?

I don't get why Clifford is being singled out for the goal, didn't we lose the ball in midfield and then fail to pick up their man in the box.

Pretty sure not all of that was down to Clifford.
We actually didn't lose the ball in midfield, we were hit with two consecutive fouls which the officials totally missed or ignored. Brunt then picked up the loose ball and found space behind Clifford who was out of position and switched off. I like Cliffy, but he's not performing at the moment for some reason.

I thought Hobson gave the wall away from a loose pass ? Will have to see the lowlights

Would love to know how many goals are conceded from our left hand side. Be it from a cross, ball in behind, or from turnover of play in this area. It seems an awful high percentage to me and teams appear to be targeting that area.

Or am I talking bow locks?

I can help - so far this season it is 1 or to put it into percentage terms 100%.

Anyone have the stats for yesterday.

The BBC only goes as low as league 2

Leaving aside the actual football, it was like first day of term in the West Stand where we sit. All those surrounding us, left right, in front and behind had all returned and there was lots of watcha's, all right mate? and hand shakes. One of the really enjoyable things of being a Southend supporter, the camaraderie that comes on the first day of the season, even if you still don't know their names!!

I think we've now figured out this seasons scapegoat will be Cliffy, well done shrimpermoan for getting business done early this season!!!

Anyone have the stats for yesterday.

The BBC only goes as low as league 2
Scorers:
Southend United: none
Boreham Wood: Danny Newton ‘28
Yellow Cards:
Boreham Wood: Lee Ndlovu ’34, Danny Newton ’45, Lee Ndlovu ‘72
Red Cards:
Boreham Wood: Lee Ndlovum ’72, Dion Kelly-Edwards ‘89
Attendance: 5,681 (201 Away)

I mentioned on any thread how BW only appear to have 18 or 19 players in their first team squad - 2 red's, and a player went off injured, will mean they may only have 16 next game

Back