• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alleged Racism at Woking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already commented. The guy sits on my row and is 5/6 seats away.

As the players were making their way back from clapping their fans in the North the Woking players started getting stick from the East (More so than usual given the melee)

As they come closer to their subs bench a few of the Woking players started to goad the East. Things such as cupping their ears, making 1-1 signs with their hands, responding back to the East verbally (unable to confirm what they said)

The guy shouts to them the much discussed phrase Get back in your cages.

At no point that I heard did the gentleman single out a particular player and aim the comment at them. The comment was aimed at all of them for what had gone on the pitch (and slightly off it) The one that took the most offense was the 8 who looked like he was wound as tight as a spring ready to go off.

If I'm honest I thought that the reaction of the 8 someone had said something personally about him directly the way he was kicking off. No other Woking players reacted in the same way.
The bit here that's interesting is Stan saying he heard: 'get back in your cage: verbatim'. Remember?
You're saying the guy said: 'get back into your cage(S). That plural is important.
If it was directed at a number of players, it's still unfortunate one of them is black.
If it was said to one player: which one?

Honestly, I don't believe for one minute you went up to X number of black friends and asked them anyway, context or no context.

Firstly, I don't see what value it adds. Secondly, even if you did, it proves diddly squat.
The logic in some instances here leaves me perplexed.
What is clear is that you're calling me a liar - and i hope the mods step in and ask for an apology.
You might want to withdraw that comment.
But just in case, I'll wait to see what @Cricko has to say.
Your only recourse is a personal attack.
But the point I was making was to see if the much debated comment was considered racist by those who had a vested interest.
Like you, I wanted to know how it was viewed on a broader scale.

What is clear is that you're calling me a liar - and i hope the mods step in and ask for an apology.
But the point I was making was to see if the much debated comment was considered racist by those who had a vested interest.
The wokest of woke comments yet.

He's not the son of God, he's a very naughty boy

Has this subject actually taken up your whole day? Besides many many posts on here, I'm surprised you actually had time to talk to any people. Quite frankly you appear to always be looking for offence, I well remember you going on and on about homophobia on another thread, because someone didn't like the pink shirt. I've tried not to make this personal but I'm struggling.

I have be going to football games for many years don’t think I ever heard anyone around me use racist language

The bit here that's interesting is Stan saying he heard: 'get back in your cage: verbatim'. Remember?
You're saying the guy said: 'get back into your cage(S). That plural is important.
If it was directed at a number of players, it's still unfortunate one of them is black.

It's not important if cage or cages - it could be a big cage capable of fitting more than 1 person in.

Has this subject actually A) taken up your whole day? Besides many many posts on here, I'm surprised you actually had time to talk to any people. Quite frankly you appear to B) always be looking for offence, I well remember you going on and on about homophobia on another thread, C) because someone didn't like the pink shirt. I've tried not to make this personal but I'm struggling.
a) No. Been working, but I'm a quick reader and quick writer.

b) Over 60 years, 4,389 posts; and 12 years on the Zone - not always, and not often, actually.
You're welcome to check the archive.

c) No: it wasn't that.
Again, you might want to look back. Actually, there was support for criticism of the hints at homophobia in that thread.

Reactions: fbm
With all due respect, I don't think it is the place of white people to proclaim what is or isn't racist. (These forums being anonymous, which for the most part a good thing, means it is hard to know whether that is going on here, but I would take a very good guess that it is.)

That is not to say that intent is not relevant, and I am sure the police will take that into consideration as part of their investigation, but regardless of whether it was 'meant to be racist' the fact of the matter is that a number of black players and officials who were within earshot immediately took it to be a racially charged sentiment, as did others. If we are to rid football of discrimination, as hopefully we are all committed to, then it is their experience we have to understand, not ours.

Some have said this 'isn't a racist phrase, because white people use it against white people'. But this isn't how it works: words mean different things to different people, and in different contexts. A phrase that is fine to use against a white person can have a different connotation when used against a black person, and unless you're really determined to close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears, it's not hard to see how that can be true here. This country has a history going back centuries of putting black people in cages. Racism still endures. A black player hearing a white person angrily shouting at them, in a noisy environment, about being put in a cage is going to hear it in that context. A white player having it said about them obviously wouldn't.

Everyone will have their opinions, and for now it's down to the police. But my mother taught me to put myself in the other person's shoes before opening my mouth, and perhaps we'd be in a better place if everyone how dare the white man have an opinion on racisms says the anti racist
Did you know Polar Bears are black under that white fur
Yes I did … I also know that you shouldn’t try and shave one

See I heard cages. My mind might have added the s as the thought of all the Woking players in one cage appalled me (one of the many reasons why I only buy free range chickens and eggs)

I was also closer to the guy than Stan, who was up in the directors box where Ron normally sits. It was only after the Woking 8 took offence and started shouting that's racist that he came past me. I'm sure everything will be fully examined by the police and the club as to the incident.

I think we can all agree that Racism has no place not only in football but in society.

We have all come a lot than 30 or 40 years ago. Today I had the pleasure of listening to Paul Canoville speak what he went through at Chelsea. He described his debut against Crystal Palace and the abuse he was getting from his own "fans" when warming up through to how he would avoid certain roads or routes to avoid Skinheads who would drive around looking for those of colour to do over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back