• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Timothee Dieng

Apart from appearances and goals player stats aren't facts.
If a player makes 5 tackles in one game, they've made 5 tackles. If they've set up 3 chances, they've set up 3 chances. These are facts. Whether they were good tackles or chances is opinion. Stats are facts, interpretation is opinion.

I would expect a defensive CM/CB to be busy in a team that were relegated twice in a row and conceding 100 goals a season.
Maybe, but it is more complex than that. We were upper mid-table in terms of tackles for the last two seasons.

Modern obsessions about pass completion etc don't prove anything. Wheres the stats for day dreaming and allowing a free shot on goal. Not being tight enough and allowing the oppos midfield play maker time on the ball to hurt your team.
Pass completion is a terrible statistic and, thankfully, hasn't been used much. Actually, there are stats such as pressures made and successful pressures, but they aren't freely available below the top leagues.

Same with yards covered in a game. Watch highlights from all those defeats in the previous two seasons. Keep an eye on Dieng and Mantom. They would both run back but often ended up marking space to close to the goal. A cross would be pulled back to outside the box and the player has time for a touch and gets a comfortable shot away......Have a look at Ferguson for Col U's first goal in that vital game as a perfect example....Ground covered but lazy and unaware about what really needs doing.
I didn't see much of Dieng & Mantom do can't comment.

As for Ferguson's "involvement" in Col U's first goal. I'm not sure what you mean. He tracks back and checks his shoulder multiple times and spots the running coming and signals to Hackett-Fairchild (?) to leave him. He doesn't continue tracking him as he would have played him onside. The next pass goes back and as Hackett-Fairchild is closer to the ball, he closes him down. Ferguson actually notices he is going to shoot and moves towards the middle, but the shot goes past him. If you meant Hobson's lack of awareness for not following in a shot and letting their player go then I'd agree.

A CM should be looking over his shoulder, like Neal and Atkinson do. They have stopped those sort of goals without touching the ball. Yet stats would claim Dieng and Mantom covered more yards in the same situation.
Neal yes, but he is better than Dieng IMO. Atkinson, no. If Dieng and Ferguson ran around like Atkinson did then they would have been praised for being much better than they actually were.

Exeter City manager Matt Taylor says his playing budget will not change after guiding the club to League One.
Matt Taylor, Exeter's manager, is a prime example of the club's policy.

A former player who helped Exeter win promotion to League One in 2009, Taylor stepped up from his role as boss of the Under 23s when long-serving manager Paul Tisdale left in the summer of 2018.

He has continued to blood young players, but also found the knack of picking players discarded by other clubs and given them a new lease of life.

This season Tim Dieng has scored 14 goals from midfield, having joined on a free transfer following back-to-back relegations with Southend.
"We've got a fantastic head of recruitment in Marcus Flitcroft; we work long and hard in terms of bringing players into this football club," Taylor tells BBC Sport.

"But also, we only get that type of player if there's something either wrong physically or mentally with their game, or they've been through the mill.

Many other clubs would have lost patience on a technically gifted but relatively small attacker. But Exeter knew they had someone who could make it - and so it has proven.

Jay has scored 44 goals in the past three seasons and his most recent strike - the winner against Barrow on Tuesday - saw City return to League One for the first time in a decade.

"Throughout the season there's been 11 or 12 academy graduates in or around the first-team squad at any given time, so it's great because it proves you can do it this way," Jay tells BBC Sport.

"You look at Bradford and they're 16th in League Two and they've chucked fortunes at it time and time again, the same at Salford

Ok I will. I have never seen any player at any level get to within one yard of an opponent without doing anything, time and time again. If only there was nearly heat map for all to see. Compare that to young Neal last night. He was absolutely up for it against their number useful number 10.

Many noticed TD's lack of tackles and we are not suggesting Peter Butler.....Just get a toe in or nudge, its not walking football or netball. We are talking a lower league CM or a CB who was the same with his head.

You cant use MM as an excuse because there was CP, OO7 and Mr Thinking Cap before Molesley. I can tell that a certain physio wasn't to impressed and said Dieng was a malingerer. Physios dont just deal with the injury they also do the recovery programme. They know who wants to get fit and who wants to make the 'most' of their slight strain.

Now in defence of Mr Dieng I always felt he would be better used as a number 10 and stated that on here. Especially when we had no forwards. From memory Cox's 3rd goal v Pompey would be a good example of what Dieng could do.

I have not watched Exeter this season and presume they have used him wisely but that is still no excuse for his obvious 'coasting' whilst in an SUFC shirt.
Agree 100%. I cited Dieng as a non trier early on under Powell and he barely improved. I always knew he had talent which made his lack of effort even more frustrating. Some evidently never saw his pulling out of tackles/hiding when the chips are down, and are blaming others around him!

I didn't see much of Dieng & Mantom do can't comment.

As for Ferguson's "involvement" in Col U's first goal. I'm not sure what you mean. He tracks back and checks his shoulder multiple times and spots the running coming and signals to Hackett-Fairchild (?) to leave him. He doesn't continue tracking him as he would have played him onside. The next pass goes back and as Hackett-Fairchild is closer to the ball, he closes him down. Ferguson actually notices he is going to shoot and moves towards the middle, but the shot goes past him. If you meant Hobson's lack of awareness for not following in a shot and letting their player go then I'd agree.

That explains why your using stats to claim he was good for Southend.

Some of us Shrimpers have a good connection with Coventry fans. Last time they visited RH I was chatting to some of them later on about Dieng. Look up that game t watch what 'Captain' Dieng doesn't do when they hit the bar first half. The same for their first goal for 'last man' Dieng. He is even worse for their second goal.

Now you can see what the rest of us did every week for Dieng the CB. If you want an example of Dieng the CM then look at the previous home game with Cov. Note how pathetic he is late on in the game when we are down to 10. Allows their guy time and room to help set up their late winner.......I think It was the same season where he also did that away at Cov.

Having said all that if you think that Ferguson did OK at Col U whilst blaming Hobson (Instead of Heart playing them on)......I doubt you will notice Dieng not doing anything because theres no such stat.

That explains why your using stats to claim he was good for Southend.

Some of us Shrimpers have a good connection with Coventry fans. Last time they visited RH I was chatting to some of them later on about Dieng. Look up that game t watch what 'Captain' Dieng doesn't do when they hit the bar first half. The same for their first goal for 'last man' Dieng. He is even worse for their second goal.

Now you can see what the rest of us did every week for Dieng the CB. If you want an example of Dieng the CM then look at the previous home game with Cov. Note how pathetic he is late on in the game when we are down to 10. Allows their guy time and room to help set up their late winner.......I think It was the same season where he also did that away at Cov.

Having said all that if you think that Ferguson did OK at Col U whilst blaming Hobson (Instead of Heart playing them on)......I doubt you will notice Dieng not doing anything because theres no such stat.
Did I claim that Dieng was good for us? Not in his first few seasons, I just claimed he actually made tackles and headers. He was good for us last season and probably our best player (not a tough competition).

Did I claim Ferguson had an ok game? Nope, I just said he wasn't to blame for the first goal.

I agree that Dieng did nothing in the Col U game ... because he didn't play.

I'm not going to waste my time going back and watching highlights from a game 2-3 years ago because he didn't have good moments, when the entire team was terrible. The fact is that he is the only player from last season that will most likely be playing regularly in League 1 while the rest of the team from last season will be lucky to be in the Isthmian Premier League.

Went to Exeter vs Wycombe last Tuesday (16th) and Tim started, scored and played the 90 minutes (subbed in added on time). Played as a false 9, which did involve him strolling about a lot, but the two CMs did all the running for him. Some nice touches and the header from a corner he scored from was pretty good.

Very popular down in Devon. Good luck to him.

What is the rest of Exeter midfield like? I would guess they have some crunch tacklers and work horses that allow his creativity to shine.
We didn't have that type of player, and arguably haven't still, since Timlin was deemed surplus a season or so early. .

What is the rest of Exeter midfield like? I would guess they have some crunch tacklers and work horses that allow his creativity to shine.
We didn't have that type of player, and arguably haven't still, since Timlin was deemed surplus a season or so early. .

Both the other two central midfielders scored as well. Full of running, with balls in between the centre half and full back being made for their split strikers. Goalkeeper played really well too - two excellent saves and dummied two strikers with the ball at his feet.

The Real St James Park is a tidy ground - 8000 capacity and six and a half thousand there making the place look jam packed. Chicken Tikka Pie was nice too.

Exeter is certainly a good place to live and play.
As a club they seem well adjusted and realistic on their strengths and potential.

Went to Exeter vs Wycombe last Tuesday (16th) and Tim started, scored and played the 90 minutes (subbed in added on time). Played as a false 9, which did involve him strolling about a lot, but the two CMs did all the running for him. Some nice touches and the header from a corner he scored from was pretty good.

Very popular down in Devon. Good luck to him.
Yes indeed.(I was there too—Stagecoach Stand)),he got applauded hugely when subbed in injury time.
Both teams missed out midfield with long balls forward—-35 year old McCleary is still incredibly quick !

Yes indeed.(I was there too—Stagecoach Stand)),he got applauded hugely when subbed in injury time.
Both teams missed out midfield with long balls forward—-35 year old McCleary is still incredibly quick !

Was in the Big Bank behind the goal. First time WS Junior had stood up for 90 minutes!

Poor sod. Not like he can say no when his release clause is met.
A release clause only forces a club to accept an offer, the player can still refuse to leave if he wants to. He's only started 1 of the last 6 matches at Exeter so he may have been tempted by the promise of being a starter.

Back