• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Had a plastering quote from the most East End voiced plasterer on Friday. So strong was the accent that by the end of the quote I'd developed a headache. Today, because I hadn't responded to his quote after 2 hours he got stropy, expecting me to be grateful because he went to Wickes and took pictures of the price of the items he would need to do the job.

This plasterer doesn't do floors (screeding) doesn't do coving but it's OK because "E nose peeeple oo do do it" And he's expecting me to believe he buys his bits from Wickes at full price when most would get a trade discount or get the supplies from a builders merchants.

Just had an email from Amazon saying they're shutting their Amazon Smile service - which allowed users to select a charity and then that charity received a cut of everything the user spent. Was a nice little earner for our daughters school pta.

Just had an email from Amazon saying they're shutting their Amazon Smile service -
They called our landline early this morning ( got me out of bed! ), from an 01702 number ( weird? ) with an automated message saying my account is going to expire.
As i've never used Amazon in my life i wasn't pleased, & no idea how they got my landline number?.
I called the number back to give them a verbal, but surprise, surprise the line just went dead.

They called our landline early this morning ( got me out of bed! ), from an 01702 number ( weird? ) with an automated message saying my account is going to expire.
As i've never used Amazon in my life i wasn't pleased, & no idea how they got my landline number?.
I called the number back to give them a verbal, but surprise, surprise the line just went dead.
Not from Amazon but a scam. It's normally a automated voice saying press 1 to speak to someone about renewing your account and then you'll get through to a scam call somewhere (the 01702 number will have been spoofed to fool you as the call most likely came from the Indian subcontinent) where they'll try and get you to pay for something with your bank details or your credit card.

They pretend to be amazon, you pay your bill to renew your subscription for another year and then not until Amazon actually takes it out do you realise you have been scammed. Probably wouldn't shows as Amazon on your statement, and will more than likely will have a few transactions going through after you have given them any details

Any unsolicited calls always hang up, then ring from a different phone to speak with who the caller claimed to be from.

Not from Amazon but a scam. It's normally a automated voice saying press 1 to speak to someone about renewing your account and then you'll get through to a scam call somewhere (the 01702 number will have been spoofed to fool you as the call most likely came from the Indian subcontinent) where they'll try and get you to pay for something with your bank details or your credit card.

They pretend to be amazon, you pay your bill to renew your subscription for another year and then not until Amazon actually takes it out do you realise you have been scammed. Probably wouldn't shows as Amazon on your statement, and will more than likely will have a few transactions going through after you have given them any details

Any unsolicited calls always hang up, then ring from a different phone to speak with who the caller claimed to be from.
Indeed, although I personally don't answer the phone at all if it is from a number I don't recognise. I just copy it on Google and often there are sites that list bogus numbers or a forum with people sharing the same experiences.

Indeed, although I personally don't answer the phone at all if it is from a number I don't recognise.
I didn't recognise the number, but as it was a local one ( 01702 etc ), that's why i answered it. Due to BT cutting our landline off by 'human error' ( their words ), & not re-connecting us for 23 days (!), we've got a £140 credit. When that has been used by my estimation in June, we will cancel it with BT, got no need for it anymore.
Only reason we've kept it for so long, was elderly family used to call on it, but they have now passed away.

5 hours for The AA to attend a Home Start breakdown call
A pain but the reasoning is you are at home in the warm and not stranded on the motorway or miles from anywhere. You go way down the priority list I'm afraid. One trick is to push the car down the road. That bumps you up a bit.

A pain but the reasoning is you are at home in the warm and not stranded on the motorway or miles from anywhere. You go way down the priority list I'm afraid. One trick is to push the car down the road. That bumps you up a bit.
Had to call them out whilst in Scarborough last April, due to a flat battery discovered after visiting an old friend in a care home up there. This happened about 12.45pm, expected the worst, but they were there within 40 mins.

Last edited:
I am a AA Roadside member, with flat battery at home (Left lights on overnight) they wanted an extra £130.00 for home call out to cover me until March (this was in Dec). I told them where to go and will cancel all my subscriptions.

Ordered a UltraSafe Portable Lithium Jump Starter, Car Battery Booster Pack, 600A Peak Auto Jump Box, 30000mAh Power Pack Jumper Start & Phone Charger with USB Port, Cables & LED Flashlight USB Port for around £50.00 from Amazon. Simple to connect and worked and started car fine and can even charge my phone. Will keep it in the glove box in case I ever need it again.

71m87CPq3CL._AC_SX679_.jpg

71W7LmIu.jpg

Trying to find suitable part time work as a student is getting annoying now.

Already got one part time gig but it's seasonal and I won't be back until March at the earliest.

Putting my results first so not giving anyone any more than 12 hours. Most big businesses want a minimum of 16hrs. Add that to the 30-35hrs of study I'm doing and it quickly becomes a 50+hr week.

Anyone know any reasonable employers?

Still awaiting the completion of a probate on the property we hope to buy. Been waiting since October.

Massively frustrating.

Hang in there. We applied for probate beginning of Sept. Got asked for more info in Nov. Got emailed that theyd granted probate 2 weeks ago. Received the probate in the post yesterday.

Did chase them a few times on the phone when they reached the deadlines that they state.

If its more than 13 weeks since applicant applied then they should be phoning to have the case escalated

Hang in there. We applied for probate beginning of Sept. Got asked for more info in Nov. Got emailed that theyd granted probate 2 weeks ago. Received the probate in the post yesterday.

Did chase them a few times on the phone when they reached the deadlines that they state.
Thanks, we will do as we really like the house. We email our solicitors and the estate agent pretty much every week, but the sellers solicitors just keep saying that they are still awaiting the probate, the last update was that it had to be sent to Newcastle too. Feels never-ending!

Trying to find suitable part time work as a student is getting annoying now.

Already got one part time gig but it's seasonal and I won't be back until March at the earliest.

Putting my results first so not giving anyone any more than 12 hours. Most big businesses want a minimum of 16hrs. Add that to the 30-35hrs of study I'm doing and it quickly becomes a 50+hr week.

Anyone know any reasonable employers?
Hmmmm 4 extra hours a week, sounds like you lazy. Typical student.

Back