• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dorking Wanderers 1-0 Southend United

Colin 6
Demi 4
Ralph 5
Lomas 6
Hobson 7
Kensdale 5
Taylor 4
Miley 5
Cardwell 5
Mooney 5
Bridge 4

Subs Benton 6
Powell 5
Sandat 5

Beaten by a strong, committed Dorking side who knew exactly how to nullify us....and that's getting easier by the week. We could have played all night again and we wouldn't have scored.
Mooney shanked our only real chance in the first half with his right foot from 8 yards out....and aside from a couple of shots from Benton in the second, that was as good as it got.
What I find difficult to take is that despite Dorking only having a few attacks in that second half, when they did get forward they still looked more threatening despite all our possession. We just do nothing with it. Nobody shoots, there's little movement, we lack pace to really hurt the opposition.....our crossing is dire and nobody seems to be able to put themselves in a dangerous position within the penalty area on the rare occasion we do cross the ball.

For as good as Kensdale's been this season, he was extremely weak and naive in the way he allowed their player to give him a slight nudge in the back before setting up their only goal.
I thought Lomas looked excellent with the ball at his feet, driving out of defence. There was one great 50 yard run in that second half before being taken out just outside the penalty area.
I was less than convinced by his overall defending though. Beaten in the air too much for me and caught out once or twice.
Hobson was our man of the match with another excellent display.

Taylor did little other than chasing shadows all night. Miley again looked knackered.....and Mooney played most of the night with his back to goal and became more and more of a passenger before being subbed.

Cardwell struggled all night to hold the ball up, but as usual the service into him was extremely poor.
I do wonder whether he should concentrate playing on the shoulder of the last man more as he has the pace to get in behind. That said, I think him coming deeper stems from none of our midfielders driving forward, forcing the opposition defenders backwards.

I don't know where we go from here. We seem out of ideas, lacking energy and the same players are giving the same type of performances week after week. The opposition know that we will struggle to unlock them if they sit back and deny us space, whilst our players have no belief that we will score and so the cycle goes on.

The end of the season can't come quickly enough.

Just another depressing watch.

Liven up a little in the second half but still did not really test the keeper.

Thought Colin did well on a few occasions so should start again on Saturday along with Benton who could even have won a penalty very late on,

I think Colin is good enough to be our first choice keeper. I'm not sure super Steve will be here next season.

what a terrible game ....

positives ..

Colin - at 19 yo surely a major asset now

Cardwell - from Chorley town 2 levels down proves he can play at this level - a bit.

Powell - from NL North - can be minor nuisance at this level.

Kensdale - from Canvey Istmiuan League - can play at NL level - a bit

Miley - good honest NL pro - this is his level

Hobson - i hope he finds another club

Jason - we have loads of coaches - hope you find a role somewhere

Lomas - borderline if he can survive at this level

Taylor - NL pro - very ordinary

Benton - took his shots - missed

Bridge - NL pro

Murphy - busted

Mooney - busted

Ralph - a season of failure

the tragedy of SUFC unfolds -

a bunch of players recruited from this level and BELOW fail..

can we avoid administration ?

does anyone belive in the new stadium ?

Becoming a very divided fan base and all the frustrations are now coming out even more because f recent results, yes kev has done a great job considering what has been going on, but he picks the team, he picks the tactics, we played a team tonight who have conceded 84 goals and we play 8 defense minded players, and the same we we have played the last 7 games we have lost, so people absolutely have the right to question the tactics, personally if we had tried something different tonight and it not worked I would have been behind him more than doing the same again, we can't keep hiding behind excuses that "we've played better teams and was unlucky" we are now playing worse teams and still getting the same outcome, so people have the right to question the management

I'm not sure if I can express my opinion as I am not a qualified coach....

But our qualified coaches have lead us to 7 losses in a row.

7 Losses in the Vanarama National League

You know, it used to be the Vauxhall Conference.

Tonight we lost our 7th game in a row against a team who play in a ****ing park.

7 in a row would have been totally understandable while they were not being paid.

Yeah Ron has lead us here. Totally agree.

He does not set the current set of players up for games.

He does not bring on the recognised striker on the bench with 6 minutes of normal time.

Oh it's a bummer Kacper ****ed off, but I don’t remember him scoring or creating.

I don't want Kev and Co to fail. But if his name wasn’t Maher, with all that goodwill in the bank, he'd be gone or going and the majority would be calling for it.
The reason a fair few want Maher to stay is what he's done prior to this awful run.
He's been the one manager to offer a ray of hope out of the last five.
Getting this very average squad to remain in and around the play-offs this long gets him a lot more credit than seven games.
EVERY team in the NL has signed new players since September. Repeat: the other 23.

Agree with all - except that 'nucleus'.
Have consistently said most were flattering to deceive.
Would keep Cardwell, Bridge, Miley, GSM and maybe Arnold as first-team or back-up -and even then would want to check his fitness.
An even smaller squad then? As there is no sign of an end to the embargo and anyone with 1/2 a brain would sign for a club that actually pays wagers where would that leave us?

I still can't believe we are even playing football at Sunday league grounds let alone losing to part time Sunday league teams. We were beyond shocking at every level tonight, devoyed of ideas, lacklustre and yet again sooooooooo negative and deserved exactly what we got ☹️

We need the season to end .And hopefully a new man at the helm But somehow i feel Ron has made a sell noise But really had no real thought of selling It was all smoke and mirrors to stop the ron out brigade quite .Then he will play his ace card by blameing The three amigos for our down fall .

Kev sounded shattered on bbc essex right now. Asked the same question 2 weeks in a row. "How do turn it around" or words to that effect. He just sounds lost.

What can he say/do to inspire change?

Not a criticism or putting the boot in. A genuine question.

Should he come out to these interviews fired up?

Sandat cardwell from the start
No room in the squad anymore for Mooney and if he whinges he can train with the u23s if he can find any!
Powell and Taylor on the bench only. Not good enough. I'm fed up with Powell watching where the balls gone and chasing it. Has zero anticipation or control in matchtime.
Benton can start because he looked like he gave a shxt and can play.
Colin did well too so keeps his place.
Go with gus at right back and jd in front of him to get the right side at least operable.
Harsh comments but that was pxss poor.
Decent ref. Decent commentator. Shxt ground but pitch level and same for both sides.
Once again a sub 6 minutes from time. A strong bigger forward. Why leave it until 6 mins from the end. They're manager made quite big changes a lot earlier on and they winning already ffs.

Last edited:
Kev sounded shattered on bbc essex right now. Asked the same question 2 weeks in a row. "How do turn it around" or words to that effect. He just sounds lost.

What can he say/do to inspire change?

Not a criticism or putting the boot in. A genuine question.

Should he come out to these interviews fired up?
Reminds me of Chris Powell towards the end of his Blues tenure - a Southend legend who has been shattered by the poisoned chalice of managing this basket case of a club.

433 or 4231 would be my preferred formation. Not overly keen on 532.
I don't think the formation makes the slightest difference.
A formation won't make you control the ball; pass it forward to one of our own; shoot straight or be brave.
Confidence will help, plus a few new faces - and we certainly aint going to get the latter.

Back