• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Swansea v Southend 4th Feb, 2005. League Two.
They battered us that day, but again, the never say die attitude, good team and great team spirit meant we got something from the game. Also, a nice header from Kev to set up the assist to the goal.
Tuesday night fixture. I remember this. We parked outside the prison. Such a welcoming place! 😂

Tuesday night fixture. I remember this. We parked outside the prison. Such a welcoming place! 😂
Wow, league 2! The standard there looks about three divisions higher than the standard we are at now.

And to be fair within a few years quite a few players from both of these teams were playing at n the championship

Open Day, July 1967.

Refreshments - Tony Bentley, Eddie May, Dave Brabbing can all be seen in this photo.
17785645.jpg

Jackie Ferguson with club legend Frank Walton (in the white shirt) and Ernie Shepherd, former Blues manager.
17785630.jpg

Cheers! - Peter Hunt and Ernie Shepherd.
17785639.jpg

Players - Jimmy Stevenson, Trevor Roberts, Andy Smillie and John Mckinven.
17785653.jpg

1967 Southend United squad members Joe Ashworth, Sammy McMillan and Phil Chisnall practice on the pitch.
17785661.jpg

The first photo,DAVE.B still doesnt look much older now.
Also could the lad (right side) white shirt be Micky Bough ??Dave might know as they use to go to away games together
Thanks for your kind words Ozzie (check in the post my friend). Obviously this was taken a very long time ago, well almost 57 years ago. I agree with my fellow poster "Billy is the Best" it certainly does look like Mick. Wonder if he ever reads Shrimperzone it would be so nice to catch up with him again, must be well over 45 years since we last saw each other.

Thanks for your kind words Ozzie (check in the post my friend). Obviously this was taken a very long time ago, well almost 57 years ago. I agree with my fellow poster "Billy is the Best" it certainly does look like Mick. Wonder if he ever reads Shrimperzone it would be so nice to catch up with him again, must be well over 45 years since we last saw each other.
After 45 years do you think he is trying to tell you something Dave .

After Keithie Summers died in 2004 I phoned his parents for the first time in donkey years they immediately remembered me and gave me his phone number. I rang him, he was living in Basildon, and he was shocked to learn of Keiths death but it was good to talk. He was invited to a couple of the "Keithie Summers Memorial Away games" and said he would try to attend but didn't. I think he wanted to stay at a distance. Sadly over the years I have lost his phone number.

51620275-6dde-40ee-aefb-8749cc8df0cd.jpg

The 1975/76 season proved to be a difficult one in the league, but in the FA Cup things were very different.

Four home ties in a row saw us dispatch Swansea, Dover, Brighton and Cardiff in some enthralling encounters. Stuart Parker helped himself to five goals along the way, including a sensational injury time winner versus Cardiff (pictured above).

Many in the near 13,000 crowd in that fourth-round match stayed behind after the final whistle to hear the draw for the next round relayed over the tannoy, leading to further scenes of delirium as we drew reigning Division One (Premiership nowadays)champions Derby County.

At least 10,000 Shrimpers made the trip up to the Baseball Ground where a narrow defeat put paid to our Wembley dreams, and many who were there will recall we had an ‘equaliser’ cruelly ruled out for offside!

The 1975/76 season proved to be a difficult one in the league, but in the FA Cup things were very different.

Four home ties in a row saw us dispatch Swansea, Dover, Brighton and Cardiff in some enthralling encounters. Stuart Parker helped himself to five goals along the way, including a sensational injury time winner versus Cardiff (pictured above).

Many in the near 13,000 crowd in that fourth-round match stayed behind after the final whistle to hear the draw for the next round relayed over the tannoy, leading to further scenes of delirium as we drew reigning Division One (Premiership nowadays)champions Derby County.

At least 10,000 Shrimpers made the trip up to the Baseball Ground where a narrow defeat put paid to our Wembley dreams, and many who were there will recall we had an ‘equaliser’ cruelly ruled out for offside!
Great cup campaign - the atmosphere at home to Cardiff was something else (quite a fracas in the car park IIRC).

Great cup campaign - the atmosphere at home to Cardiff was something else (quite a fracas in the car park IIRC).
Stood with dad on the south bank (west of the goal) with the Cardiff fans massed behind that goal so no segregation presumably which seems odd now. After the goal the Cardiff fans charged across the south bank, Slightly terrified and ready to leg it but with dad in no position to do the same so we stood there and they charged past and then 2 minutes later walked back past us like we were invisible. Odd.... but a life lesson learnt.

As previously shared, that was the moment I remember Dave Worthington jumping over the wall into the West Stand and celebrating our winner with the fans.

He'd probably get booked nowadays

Back