• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As previously shared, that was the moment I remember Dave Worthington jumping over the wall into the West Stand and celebrating our winner with the fans.

He'd probably get booked nowadays
My favourite player ever is Worthy, always remember him shaking his fist towards us in the West to stir up some crowd noise during matches.
Dave is coming to our first SUEPA Former Players Club meeting on 13 March from his home in Yorks, he loves a reunion. Waiting to hear whether he wants to come for the match v Dorking the previous evening. Not sure if he'll be up for jumping over a wall again but can ask.

Vic was not sure about Ronnie Whelan, as the drinking stories spread like wildfire. His mind was made up when we were relegated this season shown. Whelan went on to to Manage in Greece and Cyprus.

Not sure if this has come up before ,but shows our wonderful Vic giving Ron a run for his money on the management front Starts at 8.45
A handy win, that one. I notice that the league table sees us just three points behind Manchester City. I wonder if the gap has ever been smaller since.

Vic was not sure about Ronnie Whelan, as the drinking stories spread like wildfire. His mind was made up when we were relegated this season shown. Whelan went on to to Manage in Greece and Cyprus.
Always remember that goal he scored in his first game ? playing for us a tremendous strike from a long way out.Really shows just how far Ron has dragged us down now.The really strange thing about the time was how poor the gates were,and yet the quality of players and football was great to watch.

A handy win, that one. I notice that the league table sees us just three points behind Manchester City. I wonder if the gap has ever been smaller since.

Stop wondering. It hasn't. We only got 7 more points that season and finished bottom and although City got relegated the following season, we had already gone down again and so have not been in their division since.

Plymouth v Southend, 18th October 1997 - a rare away win in a dismal season, an equally rare finish by Sada N'Diaye, and a good away following (given our form):
Was there for this one, dragged the girlfriend along bribed with a weekend in Devon, 'just stop off first for the game, it's on our way'.........wasn't it our first away win for nearly a year?

Was there for this one, dragged the girlfriend along bribed with a weekend in Devon, 'just stop off first for the game, it's on our way'.........wasn't it our first away win for nearly a year?
Indeed, 11 months after our win at Stoke's old ground. As with that Plymouth game, it took an own goal to get us over the line.

Reactions: TSG
Southend United 1954/55 season. Roy Hollis is in the middle of the bottom row

235430.jpg

Southend United 1969/70. Somehow, these shirts ended up at Leigh Comm, for the football team to wear, but with the SUFC badge on.
235439.jpg

Southend United 1954/55 season. Roy Hollis is in the middle of the bottom row

235430.jpg

Southend United 1969/70. Somehow, these shirts ended up at Leigh Comm, for the football team to wear, but with the SUFC badge on.
235439.jpg
I played in the Leigh Comm team that season . At the end of season team photo none of us had the same it , so manager Bill Muckley knew someone at Roots Hall and was able to borrow the Southend kit for the photo . At a disco at the end of season Peter Hunt , Dave Barnett and Peter 'Spud' Taylor came up to present medals and cups to the team , interestingly Peter Hunt and Dave Barnett were dressed like most of the guys at Leigh Comm at the time , Ben Sherman and Brutus shirts , Levi jeans and Sta Prest trousers and Royal shoes .

Back