• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
Leicester City are to trial a singing section at the Walkers Stadium for their home game against Coventry City. Whilst they won't go as far as publicly condoning persistent standing, they have requested that fans don't stand for the 'entire game' but will allow it to happen for 'a period of time' and have confirmed that stewarding will be relaxed.

A way forward and something for Southend United should consider as the club enters this very important stage in their fight against relegation, especially wth the game against Colchester United?

But it does raise the question: how come Leicester move towards promoting a better atmosphere at their ground whilst Southend United (or rather Geoffrey King) opt for 'outing' so-called offenders instead and virtually killing off any chance of a decent atmosphere at Roots Hall?

Last edited:
You are implying you cant sing and have a good atmosphere unless you stand.

Its pretty effective to create noise just having a concentrated area for singing even if they are sitting down. We dont need to advocate standing to achieve it.

As Ive said before ****nal have a "red action" section which create a lot of noise and singing normally starts there before spreading around the ground, they dont stand up. Except for "stand up if you hate Tottenham" , "stand up if you love ****nal", "Stand up if you love naff songs" etc

Too late to do anything at Roots Hall as people are already dispersed but certainly at Fossetts we should have a "blue action" area opposite the away enclosure.

I think you'll find that most people, myself included, find it far easier to sing along to the chants whilst standing - indeed when was the last time there was a song (other than the dreadful South Upper renditions of "Barmy Army") where the loudest singers were not staning up?

Oh and if you watched the ****nal v Spurs carling cup second leg, you would have seen the most vocal area standing for almost the entirety of the match. I presume this was the "Red action" area, adjacent to the away enclosure.

Personally I would love to see a vocal/'standing allowed' area at Fossets Farm, although I think with so many season tickets taking up most of the capacity, it is unlikey, if not impossible, for this to happen at the Hall.

Its pretty effective to create noise just having a concentrated area for singing even if they are sitting down. We dont need to advocate standing to achieve it.

Fair enough. But giving people the choice to stand or sit would be a very welcome gesture from the club (as such at Leicester City); we can deny that those who do opt to stand generate a decent atmosphere through?

Ive been to emirates half a dozen times, the away end do stand up most of the game (depending on what team it is)but the ****nal fans do not.

The red action area do stand for some songs but spend most of the game sitting down.

No the red action area is the other end of the ground, if you had them adjacent they would spend all game just singing to each other up one end of the ground,

As Ive said before ****nal have a "red action" section which create a lot of noise and singing normally starts there before spreading around the ground, they dont stand up. Except for "stand up if you hate Tottenham" , "stand up if you love ****nal", "Stand up if you love naff songs" etc.

I don't know about this red section but I noticed on TV that most of one end of the Emirates Stadium (full of Ar$enal, unless the away fans were ironically cheering opposition goals) were standing for much of the game against Manchester United and again against Tottenham Hotspur, and that this was where I assumed much of the noise was coming from?

Fair enough. But giving people the choice to stand or sit would be a very welcome gesture from the club (as such at Leicester City); we can deny that those who do opt to stand generate a decent atmosphere through?

Standing does help with atmosphere.

However as we know the league wont allow standing for long periods, Im not sure what Leicester mean by standing, they certainly wont allow standing for the entire game what people will be expecting.

I don't know about this red section but I noticed on TV that most of one end of the Emirates Stadium were standing for much of the game against Manchester United and again against Tottenham Hotspur, and that this was where I assumed much of the noise was coming from?

Havent been since before christmas so cant comment on whats happening now, but before then the crowd was all seated for the whole game. Could have changed since then I guess.

The red action area are directly opposite away end, so would be to the left of the camera.

Definitely needs to be done at Fossetts.

However as we know the league wont allow standing for long periods, Im not sure what Leicester mean by standing, they certainly wont allow standing for the entire game what people will be expecting.

I'm sure it's not the League but the government (or the FLA on behalf of the government) decreeing that people shouldn't stand. It will be interesting to observe what happens at the Walker Stadium as they have suggested to fans that they might turn a blind eye to standing in that section during the game against Coventry City?

Cant see it working for now, you let one area stand then why cant everyone else stand.

They wont be able to police the crowd with double standards.

However if they stand just when singing they might get away with it, and it might encourage even more noise as they know if they stop they have to sit.

Whatever can be done at Fossetts should be, as to start with it will be a very sterile atmosphere.

Havent been since before christmas so cant comment on whats happening now, but before then the crowd was all seated for the whole game. Could have changed since then I guess. The red action area are directly opposite away end, so would be to the left of the camera. Definitely needs to be done at Fossetts.

OK, well that was definitely the end that was standing for most (if not all) of the last few games. Getting 4,000 people to sit down might be a tad difficult, I assume! Anyway, I agree; it's definitely something that should be looked at for the new stadium at Fossets Farm — but not by Geoffrey King; the club needs to bring in someone who understands what it is to be a football fan, no?

Well I can imagine at an ****nal vs Spurs semi final when you have 3,000 of your fiercest rival fans next to you standing there might have been more temptation to stand :)

Yep, the club certainly need to talk to others to see what schemes work.

Hopefully the Shrimpers Trust will be involved as well.

the club needs to bring in someone who understands what it is to be a football fan, no?

That is exactly it! King aint got a clue about football or what supporting your team is all about! He should just stick to doing the paper work and sums and stop ****ing fans off... he makes mountians out of molehills...

Yep! I've seen that in action LIVE: awesome!

Thats superb, why does he film the step though !?

I was at the ****nal vs Zagreb match last year and the Zagreb fans were like that, they had really complex songs, with "actions" and sang for the entire 90 minutes.

Certainly more passionate than English supporters, but I guess when you live in a barn like most of these people do (Ive seen Borat's documentary) then theres not much else to do I guess.

Thats superb, why does he film the step though !?

I was at the ****nal vs Zagreb match last year and the Zagreb fans were like that, they had really complex songs, with "actions" and sang for the entire 90 minutes.

Certainly more passionate than English supporters, but I guess when you live in a barn like most of these people do (Ive seen Borat's documentary) then theres not much else to do I guess.

If you look closely the terrace is moving up & down about 4 inches. I think they were a bit worried it might collapse!!

Back