• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Darryl Flahavan - Your Views

Darryl Flahaven is a winner .... an experienced pro with real experience of pressure games and the ability to perform under pressure ...

and a young man who has been dealt a few hard blows -

absolutely brilliant to see him as a senior professional in a team playing so well and in a position that reflects his contribution to the club -

when dropped his attitude was entirely professional and a credit to him - unlike the tiresome Darryls is not 6ft 4in tall knocking and insults - (and tall keepers are left flapping around there ankles an awful lot) -

Wiggy was right !!

As a fellow member of the goalkeeping union I think Darryl is a decent standard keeper for this level.

If you look at the keepers in our division he's one of the better ones. Going up a division though and then he'll be at the opposite end of the spectrum, but naturally he is then competing with a few keepers that have played in the top flight & some also have international experience.

His handling, shot stopping ability and distribution are as good as any of those but his ability to command an area is his downfall esp the ability to command the 6yd box.

People will always mention his height but if you look at Shay Given who has had a long and reasonably successful career in the premiership and international scene, he's below 6ft but has the confidence to boss the box.

Goalkeeping is all about confidence perhaps sometimes Darryl just lacks that.

As a fellow member of the goalkeeping union I think Darryl is a decent standard keeper for this level.

If you look at the keepers in our division he's one of the better ones. Going up a division though and then he'll be at the opposite end of the spectrum, but naturally he is then competing with a few keepers that have played in the top flight & some also have international experience.

His handling, shot stopping ability and distribution are as good as any of those but his ability to command an area is his downfall esp the ability to command the 6yd box.

People will always mention his height but if you look at Shay Given who has had a long and reasonably successful career in the premiership and international scene, he's below 6ft but has the confidence to boss the box.

Goalkeeping is all about confidence perhaps sometimes Darryl just lacks that.

I agree his handling and shot-stopping ability are as good as most in the division, but his distribution is woeful. I have never seen a keeper kick the ball out of play so often. Maybe I am being harsh and he does it on Tilly and Brush's instructions, because of the lack of height in our team. Even Roycie kept it in play more often.

When he keeps it in play, he struggles to get in over the half way line, or within 10 yards of the target-man.

He has a half-decent throw, but throws it out too rarely as he is too indecisive (and comes for too few crosses). The only area of distribution that I think he is above average on is with the ball at his feet/dealing with backpasses.

He is a very good shot stopper and he is probably one of the better gk in the league but if we go up to the championship, I feel that he and Collis would both have to go and I would bring in a new no1 and have masters as no2.

I agree his handling and shot-stopping ability are as good as most in the division, but his distribution is woeful. I have never seen a keeper kick the ball out of play so often. Maybe I am being harsh and he does it on Tilly and Brush's instructions, because of the lack of height in our team. Even Roycie kept it in play more often.

When he keeps it in play, he struggles to get in over the half way line, or within 10 yards of the target-man.

He has a half-decent throw, but throws it out too rarely as he is too indecisive (and comes for too few crosses). The only area of distribution that I think he is above average on is with the ball at his feet/dealing with backpasses.

One of the first observations I made when Collis came into the team was that his distribution was so much better than Flavs, and I agree 100% with YB on this point. I think Daryl's command of his area is improving, but it's a weak point.

But he stops balls from going in the net as well as anyone else currently playing in England. If he did all the other things to that standard, he wouldn't be playing for us.

watched Darryl in the CCC and thought he was fine ...

anyone knocking Darryl should visit the OS and have a look at the pics -

WIGGY IS RIGHT !!!!

thud.gif
Really?

anyone knocking Darryl should visit the OS and have a look at the pics -

WIGGY IS RIGHT !!!!

Can you remind me how many goals he conceded in the CCC season (and you cant blame the defence for all of them!)

sod it - i blame the defence - or more sensibley hands on hip Maher thinking that winning League One was as good as it gets ......

there are players who have the winning mentality - and I reckon Darryls one of them ...

top player and top performer ...

get over it WIGGY WAS RIGHT ....

Last edited:
sod it - i blame the defence - or more sensibley hands on hip Maher thinking that winning League One was as good as it gets ......

there are players who have the winning mentality - and I reckon Darryls one of them ...

top player and top performer ...

get over it WIGGY WAS RIGHT ....

Yep, was right and it must have killed the clueless zonies yesterday, especially Yorkshire Blue. How they can mock a true dedicated proffesional such as Flahavan is beyond me. Would go as far as to say his handling is better than messrs James, Robinson, Carson and Green. They don't get much right in the air either so i think for a League 1 keeper we have done extremely well. Now for once lets concentrate where we are weak, hang on a minute we at last look good all over!

great picture of first pen on the official sufc website - full length, both feet off the floor - probabley snapped as the ball comes back off his hands as Darryls is blinking -

how good is that ?

WIGGY was RIGHT ...

Yep, was right and it must have killed the clueless zonies yesterday, especially Yorkshire Blue. How they can mock a true dedicated proffesional such as Flahavan is beyond me. Would go as far as to say his handling is better than messrs James, Robinson, Carson and Green. They don't get much right in the air either so i think for a League 1 keeper we have done extremely well. Now for once lets concentrate where we are weak, hang on a minute we at last look good all over!

I think most people agree with the above but do you think he is good enough for the Championship??

As a g/k (former?) all I will say is you have your days when you have a blinder & you will have a mare. Enjoy the blinders coz they get forgotten a lot quicker that your good games. I once saved six penalties in one game that went to a shoot out. I even scored the winning penalty too, but I got reminded of a mistake, not much of either, for a lot longer. Just remind a striker about all his missed chances & he won't remember!!

great picture of first pen on the official sufc website - full length, both feet off the floor - probabley snapped as the ball comes back off his hands as Darryls is blinking -

how good is that ?

WIGGY was RIGHT ...

Sorry, getting confused now. Which one is it you fancy again, Wiggy or Flahavan?

I think most people agree with the above but do you think he is good enough for the Championship??

Yeah i do, he has actually improved lately coming off the line. If we did go up then hopefully we would have a better defence aerially and he would have learnt from last times Championship tactics of not coming out. Don't forget at 30 years old plus keepers hit there prime and most on here want to offload him, ridiculous. Some are even calling for the very young, very inconsistent, very inexperienced Clarke Masters, don't make me laugh!

Back