• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Darryl Flahavan - Your Views

TBH Im a bit biased cos his hot
But I think he has his times when his amazing, and when his not so good.
You can always tell before the game, it depends if his smiling or not

Yep, was right and it must have killed the clueless zonies yesterday, especially Yorkshire Blue. How they can mock a true dedicated proffesional such as Flahavan is beyond me. Would go as far as to say his handling is better than messrs James, Robinson, Carson and Green. They don't get much right in the air either so i think for a League 1 keeper we have done extremely well. Now for once lets concentrate where we are weak, hang on a minute we at last look good all over!

Erm, you're joking surely!! Better handling than 4 of the top English keepers in this country??!! Whatever you're smoking wiggy it's clearly not legal!!!! Flavs is a great shot-stopper but aerially he is dreadful - 90% of the time he stays rooted to his line and it causes the defence big big problems!! What I wouldn't give for a keeper to help the defence eradicate the ridiculous number of goals we concede from dead balls. Yes Flavs made 2 penalty saves on Saturday but no-ones ever questioned his shot-stopping as it's impressive, there's not many better in L1 for that. The fact we then conceded from another dead ball spoke volumes.

Darryl's half-decent for this level but if we were to win promotion I'd hope we invest in a more commanding keeper. We can get away with it at this level as we are good enough to be attacking more than defending, if we go up that may well not be the case and we'll be haemorrhaging goals like last season.

My opinion of Daryl has never changed really - that is, I would much rather have him in our side than any other keeper in the eague we're playing in.

The term 'shot stopper' gets banded about like it's some kind of negative - it's becoming cliche to label a keeper as a good shot stopper if you think he isn't up to much. Well forgive me if i'm wrong, but surely the most important part of a keepers job, when you break it down to simplist level, is to stop shots becoming goals??

Yes, of course other aspects of goalkeeping are important, but we simply cannot afford a keeper who excels at every part of being a goalkeeper. The ones who do that usually play for their country whilst earning millions playing in the Premiership! Even then, the likes of Paul Robinson, David James et al are making the kind of mistakes that Daryl has never made!

I am well aware he has deficiences, as I am sure he is, but it seems to me that people are over analysing the situation. He was good enough to play in a title winning team 2 years ago, and while he had a bit of a dodgy patch earlier in the season, probably down to confidence, Saturday just went to show what a vitally important part of our team he is.

Is he good enough to play in the Championship? Yes, absolutely no question. He proved that last season, and considering how woefully exposed he was for most of the season due to a unortganised, and at times, shambolic defence, he did very well. You could highlight a couple of mistakes, or perhaps where he could have done better, but again, when you are in the firing line as much as he is with our shakey back line, and I include this season in that, then of course he is going to make the odd wrong decision. Difference is, when a keeper does it, it shows up a lot more than when an outfield player does.

Daryl is a legend at this club, no doubt. Not just for his ability, but also the relationship he has with the fans, and how nothing is ever too much trouble for him when it comes to keeping the fans happy. That counts for a lot in my book, and I really hope he sees his career out with us.

Erm, you're joking surely!! Better handling than 4 of the top English keepers in this country??!! Whatever you're smoking wiggy it's clearly not legal!!!! Flavs is a great shot-stopper but aerially he is dreadful - 90% of the time he stays rooted to his line and it causes the defence big big problems!! What I wouldn't give for a keeper to help the defence eradicate the ridiculous number of goals we concede from dead balls. Yes Flavs made 2 penalty saves on Saturday but no-ones ever questioned his shot-stopping as it's impressive, there's not many better in L1 for that. The fact we then conceded from another dead ball spoke volumes.

Darryl's half-decent for this level but if we were to win promotion I'd hope we invest in a more commanding keeper. We can get away with it at this level as we are good enough to be attacking more than defending, if we go up that may well not be the case and we'll be haemorrhaging goals like last season.

I'm not talking about aerially obviously, below head height he catches a ball better than anyone, Premier****e included!

My view is we still need a taller keeper for next season no matter what league we're in. And I'm still of the opinion Collis shouldn't have been dropped. Hey ho though.

Cannot believe some people's responses, bearing in mind he saved two penalties this weekend.

F*cking legend, deserves to be first team goalie, simple as that. Tilly got it right bringing him back in. Collis is a good goalie too not denying that either.

And I not just saying this because I think he is gorgeous.

Back