• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
Quick google search showed up a few more well known managers... Nigel Adkins, Julen Lopetegui, Kevin Blackwell.

Never knew any of those were keepers though.

Dino Zoff? Won a World Cup as a player, almost won a European Championship as a Manager (losing finalists in Euro 2000)

Colchester have had two managers who were goalkeepers Jock Wallace and Mike Walker.

hearing that players havnt been paid, and the possible financial problems the club is in, maybe the question is, what league will the new manager be in?

Well if fagan is appointed, he must have demonstrated to ron that he has the die for the club mentality, and heseems to have impressed with the youth.

It doesnt excite me tbh. We are one more bad season away from the trap door, this appointment is just as crucial as sturrock was.
If we are going for someone without front line managerial experience may as well be barrett or maher imo.

Last edited:
Would be happy with a team of Barrett, Maher and Fagan. Given the financials that could reduce to Fagan. Would like to see Timlin back at the club in some capacity. Anyone think he would be suited/interested in coaching? I would rather have guys who know Southend and know how to set up a team than another random...

I’ve been told that Fagan is currently preparing for pre-season.

Make of that what you will

He's the last man standing after Hreiddarson, Cole, Colbert followed Campbell out.

They follow the departures of Brown, Coughlan, Shaw, Horton, Powell, Mathews, Keen, Cross, Maher, Bond, Waddock, Todorov who have all left since the start of 2018. I think I've missed off some more youth team coaches, fitness trainers, analytics guys and scouts as well.

The amount of institutional knowledge that has been lost will be vast. Other than Fagan - and here's been back here less than a year - I think it's only Ricky Duncan who remains.

He's the last man standing after Hreiddarson, Cole, Colbert followed Campbell out.

They follow the departures of Brown, Coughlan, Shaw, Horton, Powell, Mathews, Keen, Cross, Maher, Bond, Waddock, Todorov who have all left since the start of 2018. I think I've missed off some more youth team coaches, fitness trainers, analytics guys and scouts as well.

The amount of institutional knowledge that has been lost will be vast. Other than Fagan - and here's been back here less than a year - I think it's only Ricky Duncan who remains.

That’s the precise reason we need some stability. We both know this turmoil can’t continue, and the constant turnover in staff is detrimental to everyone.

Especially when this upcoming season, has the potential to be as catastrophic as any in our history.

Fagan knows the players. He knows their strengths, their weaknesses, and most importantly, he knows how to man manage them. He also knows where to strengthen. He knows who’s ready, and who needs more tutelage & time.

Fagan isn’t a Barrett, or a Tilson, or a Maher. He’s not a shrimper. But that’s not a bad thing.

Fagan is someone to provide the continuity we need. Someone who can realistically be at the club for the next several years. Someone who has no real expectations on his shoulders, and can be allowed to put his own stamp on proceedings.

Will it be successful? Who knows. But he deserves his shot for those reasons alone.

That’s the precise reason we need some stability. We both know this turmoil can’t continue, and the constant turnover in staff is detrimental to everyone.

Especially when this upcoming season, has the potential to be as catastrophic as any in our history.

Fagan knows the players. He knows their strengths, their weaknesses, and most importantly, he knows how to man manage them. He also knows where to strengthen. He knows who’s ready, and who needs more tutelage & time.

Fagan isn’t a Barrett, or a Tilson, or a Maher. He’s not a shrimper. But that’s not a bad thing.

Fagan is someone to provide the continuity we need. Someone who can realistically be at the club for the next several years. Someone who has no real expectations on his shoulders, and can be allowed to put his own stamp on proceedings.

Will it be successful? Who knows. But he deserves his shot for those reasons alone.

But he has limited experience in managing the older players. It’s a different experience to manage some of the old pros compared to some of the junior pros.

I’m not saying he’s not the right person, but it’s an important decision and getting the right balance is key. Someone like Maher has a bit more adult coaching under his belt (I think) and has some first team coaching too. Barrett has too + assistant manager. These two will both know the kids etc.

Of course, an alternative is someone with a good track record of management. The sturrock type appointment.

I guess I’m saying that there may be options where you answer your rhetorical question with “most likely” rather than “who knows”. At the moment this is pretty essential

When you put it that way a barret fagan combo sounds ideal

I can see Fagan. He has done well and with the youth team coming through, might as well.

Martin can't pay wages so compensation is out I bet. The place is a mess so not sure Adam would come here given where Millwall are but he wasn't a Rowett appointment so might be let go...

Maybe Maher but still, under contract at Bristol Rovers. I wish there was a CEO, faith in Martin's appointments is... not great.

Is Adam Barrett currently under contract to Millwall?

Fagan as caretaker has to be the best option.
We need to get the young lads back on board immediately, even Hullbridge are having one-on-one coaching sessions. Our youth are absolutely our only chance next season so Fagan won’t have to worry about signing and managing a Cox or a Kiernan.

Nor do I buy into the ‘bullied off the ball’ theory...... Both Lincoln and Bristol R were considered big teams and we were fine. The only bullying I saw was when we fielded plenty of those experienced senior pros with a hearts the size of a pea.....

Some other reasons are...
We are one of the worst jobs in football, this will be 5 mangers in less than 50 games.
Football has no money
Ron spent the last of his on the Sol train.
Nobody knows what will happen between now and Christmas
Barrett would be a fool to come here.
Just because you once wore a Southend shirt 30 years ago doesn’t make you a good manger or anymore ‘passionate‘ than the next man.
Us fans don’t deserve another legend because the way CP was treated is the fans equivalent of 19 points in a season

Fagan as caretaker has to be the best option.
We need to get the young lads back on board immediately, even Hullbridge are having one-on-one coaching sessions. Our youth are absolutely our only chance next season so Fagan won’t have to worry about signing and managing a Cox or a Kiernan.

Nor do I buy into the ‘bullied off the ball’ theory...... Both Lincoln and Bristol R were considered big teams and we were fine. The only bullying I saw was when we fielded plenty of those experienced senior pros with a hearts the size of a pea.....

Some other reasons are...
We are one of the worst jobs in football, this will be 5 mangers in less than 50 games.
Football has no money
Ron spent the last of his on the Sol train.
Nobody knows what will happen between now and Christmas
Barrett would be a fool to come here.
Just because you once wore a Southend shirt 30 years ago doesn’t make you a good manger or anymore ‘passionate‘ than the next man.
Us fans don’t deserve another legend because the way CP was treated is the fans equivalent of 19 points in a season

A combination of Fagan and Tilson might work.

I wouldn't have a problem with Fagan, but I still see these lads as the ones Kev Maher nurtured, which is part of why I think he'd be the right choice if he came.

I can see Phil Brown returning in some capacity even if it's to assist Fagan (although obviously not as assistant manager). I think Fagan played under Phil Brown whilst at Hull in 2008-10.

Whilst on the subject of Phil Brown I really don't understand why there are so many negative comments. He is one of our best ever Managers - I rate him top 5.

Back