• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 Ashes

If it goes as well as I'm hoping then England won't have to bat again in this test.

:sad:

Bad start.....Root gone for 61 (could only add 12 runs today) Also Malan gone LBW for just 14.

Thankfully our very own cookie monster is still putting on a stand at 134 at lunch. (Bairstow on 16 also). Once they are done & Ali for that matter, I can't see us building much more on that.

I'm Pretty certain the Convicts will bat again.

If i'm not mistaken, Cook, has over taken Mahela Jayawardene to become the 8th best test batsman of all time!

Next target is Chanderpaul & Brian Lara. :thumbsup:.... He's in good company & living with legends.

Edit: he's broken both of them records now also, with he's 244 not out, he's now on 11,956 runs. to become the 6th best batsman ever. :Worthy:

Now time to chase down Kumar Sangakkara's 12,400 run record for the remaining ashes series and tour of NZ afterwards.

Last edited:
Just when there was a chance Cooky might retire and spend a few years opening the batting for Essex, he goes and scores 244*!

If i'm not mistaken, Cook, has over taken Mahela Jayawardene to become the 8th best test batsman of all time!

Next target is Chanderpaul & Brian Lara. :thumbsup:.... He's in good company & living with legends.

Edit: he's broken both of them records now also, with he's 244 not out, he's now on 11,956 runs. to become the 6th best batsman ever. :Worthy:

Now time to chase down Kumar Sangakkara's 12,400 run record for the remaining ashes series and tour of NZ afterwards.

Here's the table of highest Test runscorers:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/wi/content/records/223646.html

Sanga definitely in his sights now - as for the rest, it depends on how long he fancies going on for really. He's still fairly young, but he has got a lot of miles on the clock too. One more home summer before returning to the county ranks for a couple of years maybe?

Apparently today, he joined Mahela as the only two players to have played 4 test innings of more than 10 hours!

Phenomenal effort of concentration and stamina. He's probably the only player in the side that could play that type of innings. Just a shame he wasn't able to produce it against Starc and a fit Cummins when the Ashes were still up for grabs.

We've now a great chance of winning, although given our record of losing after we've posted 400+ in the first innings it's not in the bag yet!

Hopefully Jimmy can hang around a bit tomorrow and we can frustrate the Convicts by keeping them in the field a bit longer. I always like to see the fielding team misfield a few times before declaring.

Sanga definitely in his sights now - as for the rest, it depends on how long he fancies going on for really. He's still fairly young, but he has got a lot of miles on the clock too. One more home summer before returning to the county ranks for a couple of years maybe?

I think he'll go on for as long as the selectors will have him. I reckon he'll make it to the number 2 spot but not sure he will top Satchin

Well done for Cook, but the pressure was off and ultimately it's pointless.

I bet Australia will still win this test match after the usual capitulation in the 2nd innings.

I bet Australia will still win this test match after the usual capitulation in the 2nd innings.

I see your knowledge of test cricket is comparison to your knowledge of brexit.

Probably not for the England fans who have travelled out for the last 2 tests or indeed for those following the whole series.

Alison Mitchell : "So Alastair, having batted for over 10 hours and scored 244 not out, wouldn't you say it was all a bit pointless?" :smile:

I don't think the pressure was off, the way he had been batting and the humiliation of a potential 5-0 whitewash would still bring a fair bit of pressure. Don't think the aussies will win this from here either.

Certainly won't 'MK'.

However, on that basis, why don't they abandon the rest of the series and refund all the people who flew out there?

Note that he is the highest ranked opener on the list which is such a outstanding achievement.
"He's one of our own, he's one of our own, he's born in gloucester but he's one of our own"

Sure you would have also been first on here to complain about England throwing in the towel, being spineless etc. had England lost this match comfortably and been whitewashed.

Back