• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 Ashes

Defies reason sometimes, why DO some people just ooze negativity. Seems they get some perverse pleasure from it maybe? Sad.

Stokes has been given permission to play in the IPL and is also definitely not featuring in England's immediate plans.

Just ahead of Sydney, looks like Crane may get the nod over Moeen Ali.

Stokes has been given permission to play in the IPL and is also definitely not featuring in England's immediate plans.

Just ahead of Sydney, looks like Crane may get the nod over Moeen Ali.

No, Moeen plays alongside Crane making his debut. Woakes makes way this time to accommodate a very poor cricketer at this moment in time. Could take a five for and score a hundred (me and you would turn it at Sydney!) but could also take another battering therefore pushing his career further back. I understand the managements loyalty to Moeen but this is not in the interests of the team which is what they are paid good money to make decisions on.
I expected better from our aussie coach TBH, they usually demand winners not mediocre.

I thought Woakes was injured, hence the change 'shrimpers'?

That said, I think Moeen would and should have been rested, if not for the injury to Woakes. His record away from the UK is pretty poor.

Rain delayed start for the 5th and final Ashes Test, but the covers are now coming off so they should be coming out for the toss soon.

Update: toss to take place at 00.00, match to start 00.30.

Further rain delay does not look like it is starting any time soon. :darkcloud:

Covers finally coming off.

England win toss and bat 1st.

England captain Joe Root: "It looks a pretty good wicket. There's a bit of weather around but if we play well for the first session or two then it looks like it will deteriorate and spin later on.

"Mason Crane is a very excited young man and a great competitor. He's come on leaps and bounds on this trip and I expect him to do well.

"Chris Woakes is a bit sore from the last match and Tom Curran deserves the chance to bowl on a slightly different wicket. Hopefully we can have another good week. It's a really good chance to start the new year off in a good vein of form."

Teams:

England

Alastair Cook
Mark Stoneman
James Vince
Joe Root(c)
Dawid Malan
Jonny Bairstow(wk)
Moeen Ali
Tom Curran
Stuart Broad
Mason Crane
James Anderson

Australia
Cameron Bancroft
David Warner
Usman Khawaja
Steven Smith(c)
Shaun Marsh
Mitchell Marsh
Tim Paine(wk)
Mitchell Starc
Pat Cummins
Josh Hazlewood
Nathan Lyon

Last edited:
Positives Malan playing well again, him and Stoneman my surprise packages this series

Isn't Stoneman averaging in the 20s?

Had Moeen played that innings people would be saying he looked shot.

Malan has certainly surpassed expectations.

47 degrees it was in Sydney today.

47!! :omg:

Went to the SCG on Friday/Saturday and that was baking...glad I didn't stay for Sunday. Walked across the tarmac and up stairs to my plane at 10-30 am and it was like being on the surface of the sun. Can't imagine what it must have been like playing cricket in it.

Maybe a shambles and against a very average Aussie team, take out Smith and Warner and imo an even playing field.

Perhaps this is what needed to start the process of rebuilding, we concentrate so much on ODI, I believe we lose the focus on 5 day matches and only hype it up when Ashes is around the corner

The future is bright alone in Essex we have have Browne,Porter and Lawrence, Stoneman has done well, Habib a good youngster to come through, Malan has earnt his place, bowlers we have Stokes, Finn, Ball to come back, Bairstow is showing promise, just needs a few long innings and he will become a new Alan Knott

Ali obviously has a problem whether injury or perhaps too much playing seems to have caught up with him,but I wont lose faith in him as an all rounder

I thought we would give the Aussies a game, but sadly wrong, but not the doom and gloom brigade, if you regulars go over Essex, you will much talent both home and away, so its a case of blooding them and showing patience

Like Test matches its the long game we need to be patient and not like ODI, expect a result in a day

UTE

Back