• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
All last night and this morning I have had good old SUFC on the brain. The club are starting to move upwards with a momentum that, at present, looks difficult to stop. The boards are alive with positivity and vibrancy. Today is a good day to be a fan.

Yet bubbling under the surface all is perhaps not well. There are still those who eke out the points to complain and moan about, and if they can't do it on the pitch they'll make damn sure they do off it. Delancey and RM do not see "eye to eye", yet we are assured that we needn't be any more worried than we have been fo the last few years.

The last time we sailed into uncharted waters and hit division 2 in 1991 I remember the opening match against Bristol City at the Hall. A somewhat disappointing crowd attended Blues first ever jaunt out of the basement leagues, with only 26 more than were in attendance last night, and Bristol brought a fair few with them by the way.

The whole div 2 adventure was tinged with the undercurrent of disarray in the boardroom and during the Jobson era, whilst being the most successful, it never felt like everyone was pulling in the same direction.

But when Barry Fry came along he took a team of players and, ably assisted by the free transfers of most of his Barnet team and the Collymore money at his disposal, built a team that produced the most fluent attacking football probably ever seen on a consistent basis. There were a lot of similarities between then and now; people would openly discuss SUFC with awe and admiration, we gained national TV and media acclaim for our "fantastic" side, and this culminated in what was probably the best ever performance at Derby's then home, the Baseball Ground, as we gave them a 3-1 whipping.

Just when the fans were starting to really believe, and I mean really believe, the "sleeping giant" known as Birmingham City poached our management team by making them an offer they couldn't refuse.

That ripped the heart of the club out and started a 10 year decline we are only now escaping from.

It just occurs that when a little club like us starts to punch above it's weight and begins to do noticeable things, then bigger clubs take note. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that someone will make Tilly and Brush an "offer they can't refuse". I don't think they will take it - yet - but it depends on their own drive and ambition.

Lets just be a little wary and remember what has gone before.

Very profound, but lets enjoy while we can.

It would take a very big club for Tilly to up-sticks and go...

Brushy on the other hand - if a club (lets say Northampton) were to offer him the managers job, and not being too far away from his home, would this turn his head???

Very good point FBM.
As far as our current position goes we're just a lot closer to that 50 point consolidation mark than I (or probably 99% of SUFC fans) thought we would be by now at 5pm on 28 May 2005.
There's no way I'm even thinking about either P word until Easter!

In terms of Tilly & Brush, I think they will be more than loyal to SUFC but as you say if an offer comes in that neither can refuse then who knows what will happen.  I also predict Stimmo may get his chance if he's still flavour of the month.  Presumably RM has a good dialogue with him & the Grays chairman if the Eastwood & Cole transfers were so simple
rock.gif

Oh & seeing as I wasn't there last night, can you compare last night's 2nd half wonder-show with that amazing day in Derby (which I was in attendance for) 12 years ago? Im not questioning your comparison, just intrigued & frustrated at being exiled and missing out!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Sep. 28 2005,16:43)]I also predict Stimmo may get his chance if he's still flavour of the month.  Presumably RM has a good dialogue with him & the Grays chairman if the Eastwood & Cole transfers were so simple
rock.gif
That is a good point, well made...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Sep. 28 2005,16:43)]Oh & seeing as I wasn't there last night, can you compare last night's 2nd half wonder-show with that amazing day in Derby (which I was in attendance for) 12 years ago?  Im not questioning your comparison, just intrigued & frustrated at being exiled and missing out!
No comparison, in terms of quality of opposition and p%&sing all over them, Derby was infinitely better (although last night was still very, very good - I'm still buzzing now
biggrin.gif
). Derby at the time had spent silly money on players to get promotion and boasted £1m plus players like Tommy Johnson, Paul Kitson, Mark Pembridge etc.

The game at Derby was quite astonishing and was made all the better by the quality of opposition and surroundings. As you say, we cannot compare the two games but there are quite striking similarities.....At that Derby match, you just felt that we were so fluid that we could score with every attack, the same could be said about last night. I would credit Yeovil to some extent for not trying to shut up shop after half time, but again, the fact that we had goalscorers all over the pitch and also on the bench made the game so exciting. One other similarity between last night and that match at Derby, the atmosphere.....we have had some good crowd reaction at the Hall and on our travels recently. Last season at Macclesfield and Cambridge to name but two. However, there was a real carnival feeling about last night. I think the crowd practically scored for us, singing from all three sides and a finish that will be hard to forget.....up there with Newport 4 -2 match in 78!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 28 2005,16:37)]All last night and this morning I have had good old SUFC on the brain. The club are starting to move upwards with a momentum that, at present, looks difficult to stop. The boards are alive with positivity and vibrancy. Today is a good day to be a fan.

Yet bubbling under the surface all is perhaps not well. There are still those who eke out the points to complain and moan about, and if they can't do it on the pitch they'll make damn sure they do off it. Delancey and RM do not see "eye to eye", yet we are assured that we needn't be any more worried than we have been fo the last few years.

The last time we sailed into uncharted waters and hit division 2 in 1991 I remember the opening match against Bristol City at the Hall. A somewhat disappointing crowd attended Blues first ever jaunt out of the basement leagues, with only 26 more than were in attendance last night, and Bristol brought a fair few with them by the way.

The whole div 2 adventure was tinged with the undercurrent of disarray in the boardroom and during the Jobson era, whilst being the most successful, it never felt like everyone was pulling in the same direction.

But when Barry Fry came along he took a team of players and, ably assisted by the free transfers of most of his Barnet team and the Collymore money at his disposal, built a team that produced the most fluent attacking football probably ever seen on a consistent basis. There were a lot of similarities between then and now; people would openly discuss SUFC with awe and admiration, we gained national TV and media acclaim for our "fantastic" side, and this culminated in what was probably the best ever performance at Derby's then home, the Baseball Ground, as we gave them a 3-1 whipping.

Just when the fans were starting to really believe, and I mean really believe, the "sleeping giant" known as Birmingham City poached our management team by making them an offer they couldn't refuse.

That ripped the heart of the club out and started a 10 year decline we are only now escaping from.

It just occurs that when a little club like us starts to punch above it's weight and begins to do noticeable things, then bigger clubs take note. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that someone will make Tilly and Brush an "offer they can't refuse". I don't think they will take it - yet - but it depends on their own drive and ambition.

yawn yawn yawn
down.gif

posts like this can only mean one thing.

Please from refrain using this language, we have filters on the site for a reason.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimptown @ Sep. 28 2005,16:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 28 2005,16:37)]All last night and this morning I have had good old SUFC on the brain. The club are starting to move upwards with a momentum that, at present, looks difficult to stop. The boards are alive with positivity and vibrancy. Today is a good day to be a fan.

yawn yawn yawn
down.gif

bit harsh to be honest

[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Lets just be a little wary and remember what has gone before.
yawn yawn yawn
down.gif

Well I know whose post I found more interesting....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Sep. 28 2005,16:55)]The game at Derby was quite astonishing and was made all the better by the quality of opposition and surroundings.
.... really? I always thought the Baseball Ground was more than a bit shabby.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Sep. 28 2005,17:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Sep. 28 2005,16:55)]The game at Derby was quite astonishing and was made all the better by the quality of opposition and surroundings.
Spot on, it was crap on two visits we made in the FA Cup mid 70's, and it certainly did not improve with age.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Sep. 28 2005,17:13)]
[b said:
[b said:
Spot on, it was crap on two visits we made in the FA Cup mid 70's, and it certainly did not improve with age.
Great atmosphere though, impossible to match in an all seater ground.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Sep. 28 2005,17:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Sep. 28 2005,17:13)]
[b said:
[b said:
Great atmosphere though, impossible to match in an all seater ground.
It was a great atmosphere.
Although got fairly heated with the locals when they saw how we were wiping the floor with them.

SAME OLD SOUTHEND, TAKING THE ****!!!

I'll repeat what I say everytime this subject comes up, I can't see any club big enough to tempt Tilly, being brave enough to gamble on a lower division manager on the basis of a play-off win and a couple of LDV Final defeats.

Besides, unless they are appointed on the basis of their name (and no-one apart from Southend would consider Tilson to be a 'name' manager) managers move sideways, not up. Look at Gary Johnson. The only manager I can think of who moved up a division in the last couple of seasons, was Paul Sturrock (who'd managed top flgiht in Scotland) - and he was hardly a success.

[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Sep. 28 2005,16:37)]All last night and this morning I have had good old SUFC on the brain.  The club are starting to move upwards with a momentum that, at present, looks difficult to stop.  The boards are alive with positivity and vibrancy.  Today is a good day to be a fan.

Yet bubbling under the surface all is perhaps not well.  There are still those who eke out the points to complain and moan about, and if they can't do it on the pitch they'll make damn sure they do off it.  Delancey and RM do not see "eye to eye", yet we are assured that we needn't be any more worried than we have been fo the last few years.

The last time we sailed into uncharted waters and hit division 2 in 1991 I remember the opening match against Bristol City at the Hall.  A somewhat disappointing crowd attended Blues first ever jaunt out of the basement leagues, with only 26 more than were in attendance last night, and Bristol brought a fair few with them by the way.

The whole div 2 adventure was tinged with the undercurrent of disarray in the boardroom and during the Jobson era, whilst being the most successful, it never felt like everyone was  pulling in the same direction.

But when Barry Fry came along he took a team of players and, ably assisted by the free transfers of most of his Barnet team and the Collymore money at his disposal, built a team that produced the most fluent attacking football probably ever seen on a consistent basis.  There were a lot of similarities between then and now; people would openly discuss SUFC with awe and admiration, we gained national TV and media acclaim for our "fantastic" side, and this culminated in what was probably the best ever performance at Derby's then home, the Baseball Ground, as we gave them a 3-1 whipping.

It just occurs that when a little club like us starts to punch above it's weight and begins to do noticeable things, then bigger clubs take note.  It is not beyond the realms of possibility that someone will make Tilly and Brush an "offer they can't refuse".  I don't think they will take it - yet - but it depends on their own drive and ambition.

yawn yawn yawn  
down.gif

Please from refrain using this language, we have filters on the site for a reason.
Excuse me, but who the hell are you?

FBM (with all of his 1639 posts) is seen by most on here as a well-respected member of the community who at least bothers to think about what he's posting.

Sadly for you, with just 7 posts under your belt and no reputation to speak of have, you've just demonstrated both the size of your intellect and the lack of anything meaningful you could bring to the party.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 28 2005,17:29)]The only manager I can think of who moved up a division in the last couple of seasons, was Paul Sturrock (who'd managed top flight in Scotland) - and he was hardly a success.
David Moyes and Martin Allen would be two notable exceptions.

Mark Hughes went from Wales to Blackburn. Surely that's a couple of notches up
laugh.gif

David Moyes went to Everton in the 2001-2002 season.

I'll concede Martin Allen, but its still not many considering how many managerial vacancies are created each season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 28 2005,17:48)]David Moyes went to Everton in the 2001-2002 season.

I'll concede Martin Allen, but its still not many considering how many managerial vacancies are created each season.
Ian Dowie too.

Plus Steve Cotterill got the Stoke job having been at Cheltenham, but didn't stay long enough for anyone to say whether he was a hit or miss.

But I agree with your general point Matt.....

Don't bite... it's not worth it.

Shrimptown is obviously a kid or a numpty. Or both. Ignore him and he'll go away.

Back