• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Academies......maybe not the answer to everything for all schools!

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9107857.17_staff_at_academy_to_face_axe_due_to_cuts/

I know there was a discussion on here recently about academies but it's too hot to trawl through loads of threads and posts to try and find it. I also know that the immediate reaction of a lot of you will be "aww, poor ickle things, no longer going to the beach to have lessons" etc etc but this is what both Andy (pickled seal) and I were trying to get across. Schools are jumping on board the academy bandwagon purely because they see the cash carrot dangling before their eyes and think they're then going to be able to manage their finances themselves. This article clearly demonstrates that this is not the case here......all the extra curricular stuff goes, and the old chestnut of inclusion rears its ugly head again where it says that children taking part in the behaviour improvement project, aiming to keep them in class, will no longer have this support.

As was said before, Every Child no longer Matters, it's each for themselves now. Education is becoming a very unpleasant field to work in.

You know it's hot when it's too hot for people to even type "academies" into the search bar and click search. Quick - everyone to the beach!

This article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jun/27/michael-gove-education-policies - sums it up quite well for me.

Even if I didn't like it, at least if I knew what the vision was...

I've been arguing the case for an English baccalaureate for some time now, though the idea of "baccalaureate streams" makes little sense to me as all French kids take the Bac.
The difference(possibly what the quoted Heads meant)is that in France there are three types of BAC; S for Science,L for Literature and SP for Political Sciences, including Humanities but kids in France are not streamed within those different bands.

You know it's hot when it's too hot for people to even type "academies" into the search bar and click search. Quick - everyone to the beach!
Sorry, brain obviously not functioning well....left the "be" out of the headline an' all!!!!

I've been arguing the case for an English baccalaureate for some time now, though the idea of "baccalaureate streams" makes little sense to me as all French kids take the Bac.
The only difference(possibly what the Head meant)is that in France there are three types of BAC; S for Science,L for Literature and SP for Political Sciences including Humanities.

Won't be long before you're replacing your avatar of Aneurin Bevan with one of Michael Gove.

Out of interest, what are political sciences (plural)?

Won't be long before you're replacing your avatar of Aneurin Bevan with one of Michael Gove.

Out of interest, what are political sciences (plural)?

Our youngest daughter has just finished doing her Sciences PO Bac and will be doing(some of) the same subjects (at degree and postgraduate level)at Poitiers next September. This included(for her)Philosophy,Economics,History,Geography,Maths,Languages(French,English,Spanish,Catalan),Theatre and PE.Quite a bit more rounded than our typical 3 A levels,I imagine you'd agree.
ps Labour toyed with the BAC idea a long time before Gove picked up on it but didn't have the courage to back it.

Our youngest daughter has just finished doing her Sciences PO Bac and will be doing(some of) the same subjects (at degree and postgraduate level)at Poitiers next September. This included(for her)Philosophy,Economics,History,Geography,Maths,Languages(French,English,Spanish,Catalan),Theatre and PE.Quite a bit more rounded than our typical 3 A levels,I imagine you'd agree.
ps Labour toyed with the BAC idea a long time before Gove picked up on it but didn't have the courage to back it.

How does that differ from the non-political sciences one?

General Studies A-level also encompassed most of these (although not PE and theatre, unless you include the time I spent watching test cricket instead of revising for it).

How does that differ from the non-political sciences one?

General Studies A-level also encompassed most of these (although not PE and theatre, unless you include the time I spent watching test cricket instead of revising for it).

You'd do better asking our 26 year old daughter who did a BAC L.Basically, she studied French, Spanish and Catalan Literature also Philosophy,Mathematics and Theatre/PE.No Economics.An S Bac would include mainly Science subjects plus Mathematics plus Languages.

General Studies back in my day was a bit of a joke,not rigorous at all(though quite enjoyable)and didn't count for an A Level.I'm aware it does now but I'm still of the opinion that the French system is much better,more rounded while also providing students with the knowledge and study skills they'll need, to fully take advantage of a Uni course.

You'd do better asking our 26 year old daughter who did a BAC L.Basically, she studied French, Spanish and Catalan Literature also Philosophy,Mathematics and Theatre/PE.No Economics.An S Bac would include mainly Science subjects plus Mathematics plus Languages.

General Studies back in my day was a bit of a joke,not rigorous at all(though quite enjoyable)and didn't count for an A Level.I'm aware it does now but I'm still of the opinion that the French system is much better,more rounded while also providing students with the knowledge and study skills they'll need, to fully take advantage of a Uni course.

Who does your daughter post on here as then? Or are you going to send me her contact details?

To be honest, I'm getting a litte confused here. How come the languages one contains fewer languages than the political sciences one? The political sciences one seems to have a lot more subjects.

FWIW General Studies was still a joke when I did it.

so why aren't the French universities the best in the world? why aren't the French leaders of the best companies in the world?

so why aren't the French universities the best in the world? why aren't the French leaders of the best companies in the world?

The Grand Ecoles,Class Prepa and HNCS(Business schools)compare favourably with most other educational systems in the world.The trouble is they tend to turn out too many bureaucrats(and academics)rather than entrepreuners.How many Oxbridge people run British multinational companies?

Who does your daughter post on here as then? Or are you going to send me her contact details?

To be honest, I'm getting a litte confused here. How come the languages one contains fewer languages than the political sciences one? The political sciences one seems to have a lot more subjects.

FWIW General Studies was still a joke when I did it.

You don't study fewer Languages in an L BAC than in a SP one.It's the same number IIRC.It's just that I was more familiar with what our youngest daughter studied as she only got her results last week.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9107857.17_staff_at_academy_to_face_axe_due_to_cuts/

I know there was a discussion on here recently about academies but it's too hot to trawl through loads of threads and posts to try and find it. I also know that the immediate reaction of a lot of you will be "aww, poor ickle things, no longer going to the beach to have lessons" etc etc but this is what both Andy (pickled seal) and I were trying to get across. Schools are jumping on board the academy bandwagon purely because they see the cash carrot dangling before their eyes and think they're then going to be able to manage their finances themselves. This article clearly demonstrates that this is not the case here......all the extra curricular stuff goes, and the old chestnut of inclusion rears its ugly head again where it says that children taking part in the behaviour improvement project, aiming to keep them in class, will no longer have this support.

As was said before, Every Child no longer Matters, it's each for themselves now. Education is becoming a very unpleasant field to work in.

I never had lessons at a beach or in a field

Back