• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Academies......maybe not the answer to everything for all schools!

Rather tired from a hard days work, in preparation for an even harder weekend's work, so apologies if my brain is is even less sharp than normal. Just a few thoughts from someone who taught in an English secondary school for thirteen years and got out when we saw the direction education was taking on Thatcher's arrival. I have, like Phil, had the experience of a daughter recently (and still) going through the French system.
I will point out one of the main differences between the English and French systems, something Phil hasn't done, probably from fear of the political assault that would follow. The French system is a truly egalitarian system, where access to high flying schools is solely down to ability, not money. I'm afraid that the English system is fundementally flawed. A system where people can buy a 'better quality' of education and increase the chances of their children accessing top Universities. True, less people can now afford the fees but that doesn't change the fissure at the very base of the system. Yes, there are 'Independent' schools in France but they are run by the Church and many would say that they are generally inferior to your ordinary Lycée.
We could argue the merits or otherwise of academies and whether pupils are 'clients' but I found the use and treatment of the basic resource in education, the teacher him/herself, really apalling and nearly inhuman. At the end of the school year I was totally and utterly SHATTERED and only little more than five weeks of holiday to recover and that was when I was in my thirties! God knows what it's like now. Correct, teachers have a very good pension system.........pity most of the poor buggers don't live very long to benefit from it. When I left, life expectancy for a retired teacher on full pension wasn't very long at all, I can't believe for a minute that it has improved.
My wife, as she moves closer to retirement, is finding it harder and harder, especially with the new reforms. However, she has Wednesday afternoons off and is required to teach a basic 18 hours per week (with very few meetings). She can, if possible group her hours so that she could have another day off. It should also be pointed out than when she is not teaching she stays at home and is not required to rest on site and risk covering for absent colleagues or any other nefarious activity that a Head or 'Executive' can think of for her to do. GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR! Got that off my chest. It still wrangles even after so many years!

Rather tired from a hard days work, in preparation for an even harder weekend's work, so apologies if my brain is is even less sharp than normal. Just a few thoughts from someone who taught in an English secondary school for thirteen years and got out when we saw the direction education was taking on Thatcher's arrival. I have, like Phil, had the experience of a daughter recently (and still) going through the French system.
I will point out one of the main differences between the English and French systems, something Phil hasn't done, probably from fear of the political assault that would follow. The French system is a truly egalitarian system, where access to high flying schools is solely down to ability, not money. I'm afraid that the English system is fundementally flawed. A system where people can buy a 'better quality' of education and increase the chances of their children accessing top Universities. True, less people can now afford the fees but that doesn't change the fissure at the very base of the system. Yes, there are 'Independent' schools in France but they are run by the Church and many would say that they are generally inferior to your ordinary Lycée.
We could argue the merits or otherwise of academies and whether pupils are 'clients' but I found the use and treatment of the basic resource in education, the teacher him/herself, really apalling and nearly inhuman. At the end of the school year I was totally and utterly SHATTERED and only little more than five weeks of holiday to recover and that was when I was in my thirties! God knows what it's like now. Correct, teachers have a very good pension system.........pity most of the poor buggers don't live very long to benefit from it. When I left, life expectancy for a retired teacher on full pension wasn't very long at all, I can't believe for a minute that it has improved.
My wife, as she moves closer to retirement, is finding it harder and harder, especially with the new reforms. However, she has Wednesday afternoons off and is required to teach a basic 18 hours per week (with very few meetings). She can, if possible group her hours so that she could have another day off. It should also be pointed out than when she is not teaching she stays at home and is not required to rest on site and risk covering for absent colleagues or any other nefarious activity that a Head or 'Executive' can think of for her to do. GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR! Got that off my chest. It still wrangles even after so many years!

Yogi,
I agree 100% with this.:thumbsup:Though, I'd like to say I didn't point out what I've highlighted, more on the basis that I thought very few would believe it coming from me,rather than (I hope)from any fear of political fall out.
FWIW,our older daughter was accepted on merit at a class prepa in Montpellier,then at the elite Ecole Normale in Lyon, where all she had to pay were photocopying fees of about 100 euros a year IIRC.That's absolutely all she paid in the way of tuition fees.
I would also echo the comments you make about French teachers, as my wife who's only a couple of years away from retirement now, is also feeling the strain.
(PS nearly pm ed you about getting in touch at the tail end of next week as we were going to stay with our daughter in Toulouse for a couple of days but I've just heard today that I have to be back here for a teachers meeting next Thursday am!Another time I hope).

This article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jun/27/michael-gove-education-policies - sums it up quite well for me.

Even if I didn't like it, at least if I knew what the vision was...

An excellent article by Estelle Morris. I couldn't agree more. As a deputy head in an inner city secondary school I do feel that Labour threw too much money at some schools in a rather unfocused way. However, the Tories seem to be making equal and opposite errors that will have more serious long term consequences.

General Studies back in my day was a bit of a joke,not rigorous at all(though quite enjoyable)and didn't count for an A Level.I'm aware it does now but I'm still of the opinion that the French system is much better,more rounded while also providing students with the knowledge and study skills they'll need, to fully take advantage of a Uni course.

General Studies still has little cache. Most of the better universities have the wording 'not including General Studies' on their entry requirements.

We could argue the merits or otherwise of academies and whether pupils are 'clients' but I found the use and treatment of the basic resource in education, the teacher him/herself, really apalling and nearly inhuman. At the end of the school year I was totally and utterly SHATTERED and only little more than five weeks of holiday to recover and that was when I was in my thirties! God knows what it's like now. Correct, teachers HAD a very good pension system.........pity most of the poor buggers don't live very long to benefit from it. When I left, life expectancy for a retired teacher on full pension wasn't very long at all, I can't believe for a minute that it has improved.

Edited for accuracy. Having (potentially) six years added to my working life, the value of my pension cut massively and my payments increased exponentially in one year has been a bit of a shock. I hear the calls of 'cry me a river' from the private sector but would ask if we want 66 year olds teaching our teenagers? And how can the government talk, on the one hand, about £20,000 bursaries to improve the quality of entrants into the profession (they want more people with firsts apparently) and on the other hand, take away the main compensation for working in teaching? Before anyone talks about the holidays, I would cite the 60 hour working week that I, and most of my colleagues, have to do routinely. I don't have time to come on these forums during the working day like so many others on here.....
:winking:

Very well said Ibwiajwa but isn't this more appropriate to the thread about strikes?

Back