• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FarmdogSUFC

The Custard Splat - Southend United Fan Podcast
Only tomorrow so I thought I'd start it already. My team would be as follows:

Smith
Clohessy - Phillips - Creswell - Barker
Hurst - Leonard - Spicer - Martin
Tomlin - Assombalonga

Subs: Bentley - Straker - Coughlan - Woodyard - Eastwood - Clarke-Harris - Benyon

Not my ideal lineup but what I'm assuming he will go for. Such a weak central midfield it's actually ridiculous.

We owe them one and it would be nice to put the final nail in Holdsworth's coffin in doing so!

Only tomorrow so I thought I'd start it already. My team would be as follows:

Smith
Clohessy - Phillips - Creswell - Barker
Hurst - Leonard - Spicer - Martin
Tomlin - Assombalonga

Subs: Bentley - Straker - Coughlan - Woodyard - Eastwood - Clarke-Harris - Benyon

Not my ideal lineup but what I'm assuming he will go for. Such a weak central midfield it's actually suicidal.
Corrected for accuracy!

Really worried about this one. They have lost 7 in a row and we always seem to help break these runs. Got the feeling that its going to be one if those crisp Tuesday nights. Weather due to be miserable, poor turnout for both sets of fans. Love to see a comfortable 2 or 3 nil win bit we don't seem to do that at home. Would prefer Tomlin out wide, Fred back on next to Britt with hurst in the middle with Leonard or more likely spicer. Still puzzled why we haven't signed anyone to play cm.

I agree - the omens are not good. Still ......... how about this for consideration?

Smithy
Basher - Bandy - Baldy - Barker
Hurst - Leo - Woodpile - Spicy - Tomkins
Britvic

5 person midfield (even though at home)

Still puzzled why we haven't signed anyone to play cm.

Well the official reason is the player we require is injured. Perhaps another reason is that Ronald Martin is waiting to hear what the tribunal says about Straker to see if there is any money left in the (already empty) kitty ............

Can see us slipping up only because our record against recently promoted teams (Morecambe, Burton, Accrington) is poor and Aldershot done us twice last season.

Using that logic, we should get as many players as possible, today, before we are under another Umbongo.

My Team
smith
clohessey prosser cresswell barker
tomlin hurst spicer martin
britt freddy

sturrock will however play leonard in the middle, just on a personal level I believe leonard id becoming one of the worst players ive seen in a blues shirt, slow on the ball, slow off the ball, general lack of mobility and footballing brian. I dont know if prosser is fit or not so this would obviously affect the back four. Time to stop playing tomlin up top and get a proven goalscorer in there.

Well the official reason is the player we require is injured. Perhaps another reason is that Ronald Martin is waiting to hear what the tribunal says about Straker to see if there is any money left in the (already empty) kitty ............
I find that at least believable. What I just can't believe is that someone with the knowledge, experience and contacts Paul Sturrock has, he is unable to target a midfielder. This business of the player we're after being injured just sounds like another smoke-screen. Luggy seems to be courageously covering the arse of his boss, the only trouble with that being, if the squad situation doesn't improve and promotion isn't in prospect, it's likely to be his arse on the line!

I find that at least believable. What I just can't believe is that someone with the knowledge, experience and contacts Paul Sturrock has, he is unable to target a midfielder. This business of the player we're after being injured just sounds like another smoke-screen. Luggy seems to be courageously covering the arse of his boss, the only trouble with that being, if the squad situation doesn't improve and promotion isn't in prospect, it's likely to be his arse on the line!

This...............

The one position that we do have covered is centre back . Could any of our center backs play center midfield ? I know its a million ,iles from an ideal solution- but we don't have an 'ideal' solutiuon. At least we will theretically have someone that can tackle and break up their play

The one position that we do have covered is centre back . Could any of our center backs play center midfield ? I know its a million ,iles from an ideal solution- but we don't have an 'ideal' solutiuon. At least we will theretically have someone that can tackle and break up their play

Good point.
The only one I could see doing that kind of job is Prosser.
Sitting in front of the back four etc , think he could do quite well.
Still in jured though I guess ?

I really should add to this by saying that would be a great shame. I like Luggy and I think we are lucky to have someone of his quality as a manager. I don't think it's his fault that we are playing with virtually no central midfielders.

Back