• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All down to you Ron!

Err, we've had plenty of chairman who have borrowed on dreams - dreams of maintaining second tier football or getting promoted. And is that not why we are in the situation we are in? Was that not why the South Bank was sold off for flats and then why Roots Hall itself was sold to Roots Hall Ltd? By the time Ron Martin got involved the debts he inherited were such that he had to sell the ground.

To be honest the only reason anyone wanted to to buy into SUFC was the land. RM would not have come in if the development potential was not there.
Both VJ and the Rubins spoke of moving the club , but Unlike RM they spoke of moving it out of the borough, even the county.....

Yeah, but I was also surprised when we went up both seasons so I'm not sure what that proves.

Slight understatement there.

Our current financial plight has nothing to do with the scale of the proposed stadium development. Your argument also conveniently ignores the fact that without the proposed stadium we'd have been in the **** a lot earlier.

As I've tried to explain on more than one occasion, the club's finances have been wretched for some time. Our current financial plight isn't because Ron Martin is taking money OUT of the club, but is because he no longer has the money to put IN, when the reason we've survived as long as we have is because he propped it up. Why can't people understand this?

To many on here Ron Martin will always be the villain of the piece even though as you rightly point out, he is the reason we are still going.
One more word about some sodding consortium and I swear I'm going to punch someone.

We won't know for sure, but one could use exactly the same "logic" and say that we don't know how the current situation will pan out either.

Or one could look at the facts and try and draw sensible conclusions based on the financial situation and the most likely outcomes. Whether you look at it now or pre-Ron Martin, the club's finances have been in a precarious position for some time.

Err, we've had plenty of chairman who have borrowed on dreams - dreams of maintaining second tier football or getting promoted. And is that not why we are in the situation we are in? Was that not why the South Bank was sold off for flats and then why Roots Hall itself was sold to Roots Hall Ltd? By the time Ron Martin got involved the debts he inherited were such that he had to sell the ground.

The assets borrowed against are irrelevant (although it is reassuring if someone sees Fossets as having value to borrow against) as you don't borrow with the intention of using that security to pay. You borrow on the belief that that asset will pay for itself. The security is only to satisfy the lender that you have the means to pay if it fails.

I'm sure RM does want help. He accepted the Trust's help, but who else has offered to help? The consortium did not offer to help RM, they offered to buy him out for a pound. There are also as many questions unanswered about the consortium as there are about RM.

People certainly like to view things in black and white. RM (and Geoff King) bad, Steve Tilson good. The truth is a bit more complicated than that.

I still think Steve Tilson is in credit, despite his mistakes though.

YB - As you know, I agree with a lot of what you say, but wanted to come back on some of this:

1 The finances deteriorated significantly at the end of the Vic Jobson era, when he took his eye off the financial ball. What the then manager was able to get away with was scandalous and should never have been allowed to happen at SUFC.

2 However, our finances have since deteriorated further. Never in our history have we made such ridiculous losses as £2.4m in one year. What on earth was our board playing at? A complete lack of future planning and throwing money around that we clearly didn't have. Was all of it spent wisely for the club's benefit? The losses are amazing considering the extra revenues the club has been enjoying compared to previously.

Even if certain fans were baying for signings, we should only have signed players for fees and on wages that we could afford and that were sustainable. I may have wanted us to sign players in the Championship, but I'd have only wanted us to sign players in a manner that we could afford. I'm not just saying that with hindsight. I saw what had happened in the mid to late 90s and hoped that would never happen to us again. If I knew how much some of the players we signed cost of course I'd never have wanted to sign them (regardless of whether they turned out to be good or bad signings).

3 The finances are now worse than when Vic Jobson left (and that's saying something), because the annual losses are bigger and the club now has few assets left to sell or borrow against if necessary. What's more, Vic Jobson made smaller losses despite having had much lower attendances (because the regime then had alienated so many fans from attending). The club had to sell off much of the South Bank (although didn't make money from that because of the property crash), but they also made Roots Hall all-seater and bought the training ground, plus refurbished the ground in other ways. Over a long period of time before the last two or three years under Vic Jobson, the club managed to not lose much money and on much lower revenues.

I still can't understand this: how comes we have made such huge losses recently when attendances have shot through the roof, TV money, cup runs, etc? And the squad has been so threadbare. Remember the supposed "break-even" attendance figure? Why has such a dreadful position happened? Does anyone really believe that Vic Jobson is to blame for the RECENT massive losses? The club has apparently not been charged rent or interest, so that makes the recent losses even more staggering and nothing to do with the previous regime.

4 Which brings me onto the consortium. Whilst I agree that they have a lot of questions to anwer, who's to say that they couldn't be the saviours? Let's not just assume that they'll save the day, but surely it must be possible to run the club better with all those extra revenues coming in that we've had recently? A well-attended club like ours (as ours has recently been compared to others in the division and its historical position) should be able to at least break even on gates of 8,000. If the club makes such huge losses at that level of support, something is seriously wrong with the club's financial management. Will we ever find out exactly how the club has made such huge losses?

The people in the consortium have run businesses as going concerns profitably and have not just been property developers. Is that a reason to trust the consortium without asking further? No. Is that a reason to suspect that the club COULD be run profitably on what are historically very high attendances? Yes.

You have to wonder also, with the consortium's combined wealth and connections, are they more likely to realise the move to Fossetts Farm?

What's more, if the consortium really are fans and want what's best for the club long-term, is that a reason to be hopeful that they will want to secure the club's long-term financial interests at Fossetts Farm and not just look after themselves? Let's not forget, we've still not been told by the current owners how the club would benefit financially from the move.

It's not all black and white, but there must be a brighter future than the painful slow decline we're all witnessing right now.

YB - As you know, I agree with a lot of what you say, but wanted to come back on some of this:

1 The finances deteriorated significantly at the end of the Vic Jobson era, when he took his eye off the financial ball. What the then manager was able to get away with was scandalous and should never have been allowed to happen at SUFC.

2 However, our finances have since deteriorated further. Never in our history have we made such ridiculous losses as £2.4m in one year. What on earth was our board playing at? A complete lack of future planning and throwing money around that we clearly didn't have. Was all of it spent wisely for the club's benefit? The losses are amazing considering the extra revenues the club has been enjoying compared to previously.

Even if certain fans were baying for signings, we should only have signed players for fees and on wages that we could afford and that were sustainable. I may have wanted us to sign players in the Championship, but I'd have only wanted us to sign players in a manner that we could afford. I'm not just saying that with hindsight. I saw what had happened in the mid to late 90s and hoped that would never happen to us again. If I knew how much some of the players we signed cost of course I'd never have wanted to sign them (regardless of whether they turned out to be good or bad signings).

3 The finances are now worse than when Vic Jobson left (and that's saying something), because the annual losses are bigger and the club now has few assets left to sell or borrow against if necessary. What's more, Vic Jobson made smaller losses despite having had much lower attendances (because the regime then had alienated so many fans from attending). The club had to sell off much of the South Bank (although didn't make money from that because of the property crash), but they also made Roots Hall all-seater and bought the training ground, plus refurbished the ground in other ways. Over a long period of time before the last two or three years under Vic Jobson, the club managed to not lose much money and on much lower revenues.

I still can't understand this: how comes we have made such huge losses recently when attendances have shot through the roof, TV money, cup runs, etc? And the squad has been so threadbare. Remember the supposed "break-even" attendance figure? Why has such a dreadful position happened? Does anyone really believe that Vic Jobson is to blame for the RECENT massive losses? The club has apparently not been charged rent or interest, so that makes the recent losses even more staggering and nothing to do with the previous regime.

4 Which brings me onto the consortium. Whilst I agree that they have a lot of questions to anwer, who's to say that they couldn't be the saviours? Let's not just assume that they'll save the day, but surely it must be possible to run the club better with all those extra revenues coming in that we've had recently? A well-attended club like ours (as ours has recently been compared to others in the division and its historical position) should be able to at least break even on gates of 8,000. If the club makes such huge losses at that level of support, something is seriously wrong with the club's financial management. Will we ever find out exactly how the club has made such huge losses?

The people in the consortium have run businesses as going concerns profitably and have not just been property developers. Is that a reason to trust the consortium without asking further? No. Is that a reason to suspect that the club COULD be run profitably on what are historically very high attendances? Yes.

You have to wonder also, with the consortium's combined wealth and connections, are they more likely to realise the move to Fossetts Farm?

What's more, if the consortium really are fans and want what's best for the club long-term, is that a reason to be hopeful that they will want to secure the club's long-term financial interests at Fossetts Farm and not just look after themselves? Let's not forget, we've still not been told by the current owners how the club would benefit financially from the move.

It's not all black and white, but there must be a brighter future than the painful slow decline we're all witnessing right now.

Haven't time at the moment to go through this in too much detail, but I agree with much of what you say. I don't have a problem with criticising RM if the criticism is justified. The main (no pun intended) area I think it is justified to attack him is on our spending following promotion to the Championship and our first year, year and a half back in League One. I think he gambled on Tilly's managerial ability and on the new stadium and its revenue streams (whatever these may be) being nearly available. However most of the abuse he gets on here is for things like selling Barnard or Eastwood and/or not spending enough! He didn't sell Eastwood in Jan 2007 when his value was at his highest, thinking his goals would keep us up. They didn't and we got plunged into financial difficulty as a result.

I imagine much of our problems of spiralling debts stem from servicing the interest.

The consortium may be saviours, but so might yet Ron. There are big question marks over what exactly and how viable the plans are of either. I keep an open mind as to both.

It's a shame both sides can't work together as United we'd be stronger.

I just hope there is a brighter long-term future.

Last edited:
Haven't time at the moment to go through this in too much detail, but I agree with much of what you say. I don't have a problem with criticising RM if the criticism is justified. The main (no pun intended) area I think it is justified to attack him is on our spending following promotion to the Championship and our first year, year and a half back in League One. I think he gambled on Tilly's managerial ability and on the new stadium and its revenue streams (whatever these may be) being nearly available. However most of the abuse he gets on here is for things like selling Barnard or Eastwood and/or not spending enough! He didn't sell Eastwood in Jan 2007 when his value was at his highest, thinking his goals would keep us up. They didn't and we got plunged into financial difficulty as a result.

I imagine much of our problems of spiralling debts stem from servicing the interest.

The consortium may be saviours, but so might yet Ron. There are big question marks over what exactly and how viable the plans are of either. I keep an open mind as to both.

It's a shame both sides can't work together as United we'd be stronger.

I just hope there is a brighter long-term future.

I think by far and away the best thing Ron Martin has done for the club in the last four years was stand up to the players that tried to hold the club to ransom 18 months ago - some of whom were already on much more than they should have been at a club like ours. For once, he didn't do something to be populist but he did it because it was the right thing to do financially for the club. I said at the time that he was right but I remember his stance wasn't popular with many people. Shame it was long after the horse had already bolted, but if he'd given in then it could have hastened the decline.

These posts are getting sooo repetitive. Did anyone really expect us to get a point from MK Dons? What do people expect Ron Martin to do now? He leaves and we are dead.

These posts are getting sooo repetitive. Did anyone really expect us to get a point from MK Dons? What do people expect Ron Martin to do now? He leaves and we are dead.

He stays and....?

If he leaves, we may be better off. It's not about who leaves but who replaces the person leaving, whether that's the chairman, manager or a 20 goal a season striker. What happens to the club if Ron Martin sells up? It all depends on who buys and what their motives are. It would not necessarily be a good thing if Ron Martin leaves, but it might well be. It's about who comes next, and particularly whether:

1 They have deep pockets.
2 They have access to outside funds.
3 They are likely to get the development at Fossetts Farm built, and soon.
4 They are able to run the club so that it doesn't lose £2.4m a year.
5 They are able to secure what's best for the club's long-term financial interests with a clear sustainable plan.
6 And for the here and now, they can ensure the squad is treated well.

Who knows whether anyone taking over from RM can do a better job than him, but to say we are dead if he leaves suggests that not only has he got all of the above under control but he's also the only person who can achieve great things for the club.

Last edited:

We're pretty dead anyway. Even though we keep limping past these financial deadlines, once interest rates start to rise (as they will) the problems will only get worse. Our club, like others, needs someone who's prepared to inject money on a regular basis as it's not financially viable without this. This isn't a businessman, as there's no money to be made. It's a fan, with more money than sense! Over to us....

Back