• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All this Darryl slatting

DTS

The Business
I really feel Darryl has come in for a lot of unfair stick over the past few weeks.

At the end of the day I think most would agree he is a fairly decent keeper. Yes he has his flaws which are pretty obvious to most but he is not a bad keeper and we should know as we saw a few last season. (Robbo,Embo and to a lesser degree Petterson)

Im no more of a Darryl fan than the next man ( Unless the next man is Wiggy ) but at the end of the day Darryl has expressed an interest in comitting himself to the club for next season which is more than so called fans heros the two Leons done. No one should blame him for wanting to be the number one. We have all played footy to some degree im sure and I hate being on the bench dont you...???

Facts speak for themselves. We was bottom two when Darryl came in and he did steady a weak back line and we did stop shipping goals. Also had we won last day of the season we would have come 13th or similar which aint bad considering the start we had.

All I am saying is yes their are better keepers out there and I hope we have got one in Bart but I dont think we should all be so keen to knock a keeper who is a a least competent and has shown comitment to the club that a few of his peers from last season havent. Wether he signs or not.....

Dave

I have nothing against Darryl what's so ever. I thought he had a fair season and think he is a nice bloke too. Shame to see him go. Good luck Darrly, and hope you are successful where ever you end up!

Spot on DtS. Why some people feel the need to have such a vendetta against him I don't know.

Yes, he's not God's gift to keeping, but we could've had a lot worse playing near 200 games for us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ June 28 2004,19:27)]Im no more of a Darryl fan than the next man ( Unless the next man is Wiggy ) but at the end of the day Darryl has expressed an interest in comitting himself to the club for next season which is more than so called fans heros the two Leons done.
Flahavan has already made it clear in the local media that he will only commit himself to Southend United if he is first choice keeper. Now Griemink has come in, he's not so sure he can sign the one-year deal offered by the club. "I assumed I would be number one next year." Now that's a touch arrogant that he can assume that he would be number one once again. Yes, I agree our position improved markedly after his return but I do think that's down to a touch of coincidence; speaking with players just a few weeks ago, the SZ team discovered that the WHOLE team realised they needed to buck their ideas up or the team would go down.

As for the "two Leons"? Agree about Constantine but, like Flahavan, I doubt we'll miss him. But you're a tad unfair about Leon Cort, Dave. He served us well and he left for Hull City with the best wishes of the vast majority of fans. He made his intentions quite clear last summer when I spoke with him personally, saying that he felt it was his last season with the Shrimpers. He didn't renege on any deal as far as I can see, unlike plenty of others ...

WS

We might've had a chance of winning on the last day of the season if we hadn't given away yet another soft goal from a dead-ball situation .....
wink.gif

There was a phase on here where even the slightest criticism of Darryl would provoke an outraged response from numerous people on here. As the mistakes and goals continued, I think it got to the point where people were seriously pi.ssed off - not neccesarily so much with him but with his supporters.

I'll hold my hands up and state that some of critical postings were made simply to stir up the pro-Flavs peeps. Other postings relating to a facet of his game that simply hasn't improved one iota was, I believe, spot-on.

I'll genuinely be sorry to be the back of him as he's a reasonable 3rd Division keeper. But I won't miss a player that doesn't apparently want competition for his place and will publicly deflect any criticism onto others (I still recall cringing when I read his take on things after Northampton had been gifted 3 points at the Hall).

Fair call JS with regards to Leon Cort who did a good job for us.

I do however feel that there is no harm in Darryl stating the expects to be number one. I am sure he is only saying what Dudfield,Gower,Maher etc all think about their respective postions.

I think most people on SZ have only slated Darryl to wind up people like Wiggy but all I would say is that Darryl has played nearly 200 games for this club under 4 or 5 managers so he clearly aint a bad keeper is he....Give him a bit of respect.

DtS

I really liked Darryl, and I'm not happy to see him go, but every player should have to fight for his place in the team. If Darryl doesn't like the idea of a little competition he should find a non-league team to play for.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chaco27saf @ June 28 2004,23:12)]I really liked Darryl, and I'm not happy to see him go, but every player should have to fight for his place in the team.  If Darryl doesn't like the idea of a little competition he should find a non-league team to play for.
.... given more time he could have turned us into that non-league team.

Sorry, he was short of the mark (pun intended) and I am pleased Tilson has acted in an attempt to solve one of the key shortcomings; hopefully the difference between 17th again and a half decent challenge. I'm not going to slate the guy, I'm sure he's done his best. It's just an indicator of the club's ambition and, to me, this is a positive step.

If he wants to stay as cover, on "cover" money, fine.

At least we're debating a player that HAS played in an SUFC shirt !

We could do better, we could do worse but having read in the Echo that he still lives in Southampton you have to question how dedicated to SUFC he really is (was).

Whatever happens he was always given a great reception at RH despite walking away once before. Personally I've had a change of heart. I'd like to see him sign up for a year as number 2 keeper. There would be nothing to stop him going on loan to one of the big boys as cover in an injury crisis.

Sadly I don't think his ego would take it.

Reading Bart"s former fans references he wouldn"t have to wait too long before he was no.1 again!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ June 29 2004,10:05)]Reading Bart"s former fans references he wouldn"t have to wait too long before he was no.1 again!
Wiggy's obviously fishing for a bite.

Any takers, or have we all realised he's just a moronic wind up merchant?

rock.gif

Yep... I formed that opinion all the way from the med.

You two are unbelievable! The computer chair sores on your arse must be enormous, don"t you pair ever move away from that keyboard and you call me the train spotter. A reply from someone other than the "Saddo"s abroad" would make a refreshing change!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ June 29 2004,09:19)]You two are unbelievable! The computer chair sores on your arse must be enormous, don"t you pair ever move away from that keyboard and you call me the train spotter. A reply from someone other than the "Saddo"s abroad" would make a refreshing change!
So you would prefer a response from someone from an SS postcode? is that SS0 or SS17? Surely someone that isnt in that postcode couldnt possibly be a Southend Fan and be allowed to respond? and well someone from abroad, surely must be a saddo wannabe Southend Fan?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ June 29 2004,09:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ June 29 2004,09:19)]You two are unbelievable! The computer chair sores on your arse must be enormous, don"t you pair ever move away from that keyboard and you call me the train spotter. A reply from someone other than the "Saddo"s abroad" would make a refreshing change!
So you would prefer a response from someone from an SS postcode? is that SS0 or SS17? Surely someone that isnt in that postcode couldnt possibly be a Southend Fan and be allowed to respond? and well someone from abroad, surely must be a saddo wannabe Southend Fan?
Well I have a SS9 postcode, will that do? Personally I think Tilson has made a good signing, although only time will tell. Darryl was simply too short and too rooted to his line to be a commanding keeper. Let's face it, the two howlers he made for the Canvey goals last season showed just how error prone he also can be.

I'd rather have a 6' 2" keeper who comes out and fumbles the odd cross than a 5' 10" keeper who is rooted to his line and doesn't command his area anyday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 29 2004,09:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ June 29 2004,10:05)]Reading Bart"s former fans references he wouldn"t have to wait too long before he was no.1 again!

... with a small penis, apparently ...

Anyway, I see Wiggy has already contradicted himself and the season hasn't even started yet!! The spanner has a go at people for "living in the past" then spouts rubbish about how badly Griemink played "in the past"!! Incredible ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 29 2004,14:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 29 2004,09:10)]
[b said:

... with a small penis, apparently ...

Anyway, I see Wiggy has already contradicted himself and the season hasn't even started yet!! The spanner has a go at people for "living in the past" then spouts rubbish about how badly Griemink played "in the past"!! Incredible ...

WS
Apparently? What are you trying to hide?

Back