• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alleged Racism at Woking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of older folk don't know the latest connotations of a phrase they have used for 50 odd years. If they knew, they probably wouldn't say it. A couple of games ago the two old boys behind me were talking about Essex cricket at half time. They kept mentioning batsmen. I couldn't be bothered to interrupt them to tell them they can't say batsmen anymore. They meant no harm.
Yeah; the two old boys you refer to meant no harm.
But that suggests they are unable to keep up with modern terminology too.
Is that because they're old, or is it because they can't be bothered, or is it they refuse to recognise women's cricket?
I guess we'll never know.

A lot of older folk don't know the latest connotations of a phrase they have used for 50 odd years. If they knew, they probably wouldn't say it. A couple of games ago the two old boys behind me were talking about Essex cricket at half time. They kept mentioning batsmen. I couldn't be bothered to interrupt them to tell them they can't say batsmen anymore. They meant no harm.
See i find that strange if they were talking about Essex mens team then they are batsmen unless women are in the team these days.

Am I missing something here , how can what he was meant to have shouted out in any way racist ? Was there any mention of colour or race ? He didn’t specifically shout it out at one particular player as I understand it

Yeah; the two old boys you refer to meant no harm.
But that suggests they are unable to keep up with modern terminology too.
Is that because they're old, or is it because they can't be bothered, or is it they refuse to recognise women's cricket?
I guess we'll never know.
Dear oh dear. I suspect neither are on the internet, by their age. I suspect they are not trying to keep up with what very old sayings means nowadays. I'm sure they would be shocked to know you can't say 'Ladies and Gentlemen' now. Are you O.K. with batsmen, and Ladies and Gentlemen? Because I certainly am, and will never change for no one.

Interesting, which headline shall we use, Fan guilt of racist abuse! or Fan confused by all the fuss ! or how about Animal welfare groups angry at link to aggressive footballers! In this day and age of enlightened social / cultural sensitivity and awareness, the ability to offend or be subject to misinterpretation is an accident waiting to happen.
Firstly Get back in your cage is a term I have heard before, normally when someone confuses their metaphors between Get back in your box and who rattled your cage. I have never taken it to be of racist intention but a rebuke to someone displaying anger or aggression which is deemed over the top for the circumstances involved.
Having said that I am a white male in my sixties it would not conjure up any personal derogatory undertones for me but if I was of different cultural and historical origins my interpretation and first reaction maybe so different. I hope that it comes to pass that there was no racist intent last night from the gentleman concerned but realises that for the times we are now living it's deemed in appropriate to use this rebuff due to what it can imply. If an apology is offered to the player concerned in good grace by this gentleman then hopefully the player will feel comfortable it was an expression of anger at his perceived behaviour with no racially driven motive. As a society we are going through a period where younger generations are calling out the errors and failures of their elders and many good things will be born from this we just need to ensure that change evolves through education, example, understanding and tolerance when appropriate. Equally we need to show total non tolerance and severe consequences to those who have agendas.

Let me make it clear there is no place for Racism or racist remarks in today's society.Society is slowly learning to adapt.
Many years ago I attended the FA Cup tie at Watford and made a verbal comment against a Watord player but in today's society it would be now considered racist so totally unacceptable.
What is said and meant today is more under the microscope than ever and some are very quick to react and probably rightly so.
Unfortunately in the heat of the moment we say and act inappropriately and regret afterwards.
Hopefully the person concerned gets a fair hearing and not found guilty before the evidence is heard

Queer?
Had a quick search and haven't any ready to hand examples of its previous meaning: odd/unusual etc.

The question posed was whether you would use a phrase that would cause offence even if you thought the phrase OK?
I think you're saying 'yes' in the first paragraph, and saying you won't follow fashion in the second: is that right?
Oh dear, we are talking semantics here. In the first paragraph I said that I have enough intelligence to know what is offensive to the large proportion of people who can interpret what is offensive and what is inoffensive. If somebody is deliberately looking out to misinterpret what I have said, then I would feel no guilt whatsoever.
To give an example, the other day someone was describing to me an unpleasant experience they had had recently after having their vaccination. However they were skirting around the subject and not really explaining what happened. So I said, “come on, call a spade a spade”. To which the reply came “oh, you can’t say that now”.
Wrong, oh yes I can.

The beauty of the language is the way it changes.
'Gay' only 50 years ago meant something quite different.
Who changes it?
Well, certainly not one person. My mother referred to blacks as 'coloureds' and bless her soul, she was inherently racist.
It was an awkward way of describing black people, and guess what? They didn't like it.
Now, here's the thing.
If by chance you used a phrase that caused offence, would you keep using it because you always had, or would you adapt?

Back in your mums day Coloured was seen as polite term. It was a term racists rarely used so for white people of a certain age they were making it clear where they stood
People on here will often still hear the term used by parents or grandparents.

Hope in the future you don't offend any People of Colour by calling them Black. I really hope you can follow your own advice and adapt.

Last edited:
Am I missing something here , how can what he was meant to have shouted out in any way racist ? Was there any mention of colour or race ? He didn’t specifically shout it out at one particular player as I understand it
Just hang about mate,your post will be scrutinised in due course and categorised to what side your on. :Winking:

Nope, they are called batters now, so as not to offend.
I have some sympathy with those making the rules. With womens Cricket increasing in popularity (great news) they couldn’t really persist in using the term batsmen in the womens game.

However, and you probably know where I’m going with this, once they got to discussing ‘batswomen’ they very likely got into difficulty with the term ‘women’, which even leading progressive potiential leaders of our country can’t define.

It’s all a bit of a mess at the moment, unfortunately. However in the circumstances the blanket use of the term ‘batters’ makes sense, is easy to remember, and won’t need further updating in the future no matter where the debate on gender goes. It makes a lot of sense and is no great imposition on the rest of us.

Not one to make a stand about IMO so I’d encourage everyone to just go along with what is generally quite a sensible and inoffensive change.

Let’s move on, it’s not racist, saying get back in your cage to a team of players who just got into a scuffle with our team and supporters, clearly means they are a bunch of animals. Let’s talk about Daggers Saturday and how we owe them one.!

Let’s move on, it’s not racist, saying get back in your cage to a team of players who just got into a scuffle with our team and supporters, clearly means they are a bunch of animals. Let’s talk about Daggers Saturday and how we owe them one.!
Amen to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back