• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alleged Racism at Woking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked the Police last night how the process works when deciding on a caution or arrest or no action when words said aren't "open and shut " (the difference between calling someone a black xxxx which has no ambiguity compared to get back in your cage which, as outlined by many above could have racial motivation or none whatsoever).

The answer was straightforward and a lesson for us all.

"If a victim believes there was racial motivation then we as Police will act. The victim decides and we escalate from there".

There is more than one lesson to be learnt. "We escalate from there"

If anyone watched a few police auditing vlogs its very clear that modern policing is very much about escalating the most minor of interactions and comments.

Just a few years ago Trevor Phillips the TV presenter and head of Commission for Racial Equality said there has to be intent. The police could have made him face the player and explain himself and it all be sorted. Instead we have a circus and a waste of money. 27 hour wait for a bed down the road at A&E.

This make me quite angry. If what is reported to have been said, then it appears to me as opportunistic use of racial abuse accusation in order to punish someone because they didn't like being called a dirty player (if it was a player that raised a complaint).
This dilutes the whole racial abuse argument where some truely horrific and offensive stuff really goes on.
Secondly, the poor guy being accused must be going through hell right now, for what appears to be a reference to behaving like animals.

What we don't know is who raised the complaint? Is it a player who genuinely felt it was a racial slur, or someone else who took it on themselves to decide it was offensive to someone else?
As suggested, this seems a complete waste of police time and money, but I guess if whoever it was aimed at is offended; it has to be followed up (unlike theft, criminal damage and muggings!)

This make me quite angry. If what is reported to have been said, then it appears to me as opportunistic use of racial abuse accusation in order to punish someone because they didn't like being called a dirty player (if it was a player that raised a complaint).
This dilutes the whole racial abuse argument where some truely horrific and offensive stuff really goes on.
Secondly, the poor guy being accused must be going through hell right now, for what appears to be a reference to behaving like animals.

What we don't know is who raised the complaint? Is it a player who genuinely felt it was a racial slur, or someone else who took it on themselves to decide it was offensive to someone else?
As suggested, this seems a complete waste of police time and money, but I guess if whoever it was aimed at is offended; it has to be followed up (unlike theft, criminal damage and muggings!)

True but if it was me that said it as a result of their players being completely over the top in their goading of the crowd, I'd be the first on the blower to CP to make a statement.

It very much seems that it was aimed at several players, both white and black but one of their black players has taken exception.

This reminds me of a time that a group of young kids were having a water fight and got me soaked. I said "oi you cheeky monkeys" one of the children were black and her mother challenged me on what I'd said. Easily cleared up as no offence meant.

Any chance you can give me an up to date list of words/phrases which have been banned in the last twenty or so years?
I get very confused as there are some words like qu..r that was originally widely used, then it was deemed offensive, but then it came back into general use again.
Another one which causes difficulties to older people is the use of col.ured instead of bl..k.
Who actually makes the decision as to which words are “in”, and which words are “out”. I think we need to be told.
The beauty of the language is the way it changes.
'Gay' only 50 years ago meant something quite different.
Who changes it?
Well, certainly not one person. My mother referred to blacks as 'coloureds' and bless her soul, she was inherently racist.
It was an awkward way of describing black people, and guess what? They didn't like it.
Now, here's the thing.
If by chance you used a phrase that caused offence, would you keep using it because you always had, or would you adapt?

I think you need to read Stan's post regarding the complaint, and who made it.
While here, I don't think, from reading all here, it was about someone being called a dirty player.
How would an alleged racist comment like the one supposedly made dilute racial abuse?
By the way, there is no argument about abuse, surely?

Who changes it?
Well, certainly not one person. My mother referred to blacks as 'coloureds' and bless her soul, she was inherently racist.
It was an awkward way of describing black people, and guess what? They didn't like it.
Now, here's the thing.
If by chance you used a phrase that caused offence, would you keep using it because you always had, or would you adapt?
I have made my point and I will just reply to you as you asked me a question.
Firstly I feel I know enough about vocabulary and the intonation of it to know whether it is offensive or not. I will not use words or phrases that I perceive as being offensive to others. If something is misinterpreted by somebody, than sorry but that is just too bad.

Secondly you have conveniently sidestepped my question about the word “queer”.
It appears to be in “fashion” again, just when many people had been warded off using it when it became a taboo word. I for one, am not going to be dictated to about using/not using a word when it ceases/becomes “cool” to do so, because the last I heard, we were still a free country.

I never said excused, I said unfair for a reason. The twisted burden of proof with speech laws tacitly assumes a perpetrator is guilty before proven innocent for one.

Also a throwaway statement may well have landed him in hot water, let's not pretend that we haven't all said something stupid once that offended someone.

What do we do at the footy now, avoid shouting anything at the game?

But at the end of the day if found guilty in the eyes of the law then that's that. I'm specific with my words for a reason, and I'll be leaving this discussion on that point.
Shout 'anything'? Hmm... I would have to say no. After all anything, could be the racist abuse thrown by Millwall fans to this day at opposition black players.

If as you say, it was throwaway, as in unthinking, it betrays a mindset.

The first thing that came to the person's mind was a comment that angered a black player.
Was the player overreacting? If so, we'll see.
If the fan was out of line in a racist way: it's a ban, surely?

Who changes it?
Now, here's the thing.
A lot of older folk don't know the latest connotations of a phrase they have used for 50 odd years. If they knew, they probably wouldn't say it. A couple of games ago the two old boys behind me were talking about Essex cricket at half time. They kept mentioning batsmen. I couldn't be bothered to interrupt them to tell them they can't say batsmen anymore. They meant no harm.

I have made my point and I will just reply to you as you asked me a question.
Firstly I feel I know enough about vocabulary and the intonation of it to know whether it is offensive or not. I will not use words or phrases that I perceive as being offensive to others. If something is misinterpreted by somebody, than sorry but that is just too bad.

Secondly you have conveniently sidestepped my question about the word “queer”.
It appears to be in “fashion” again, just when many people had been warded off using it when it became a taboo word. I for one, am not going to be dictated to about using/not using a word when it ceases/becomes “cool” to do so, because the last I heard, we were still a free country.
Queer?
Had a quick search and haven't any ready-to-hand modern examples of its previous meaning: odd/unusual etc.

The question posed was whether you would use a phrase that would cause offence even if you thought the phrase OK?
I think you're saying 'yes' in the first paragraph, and saying you won't follow fashion in the second: is that right?

Last edited:
A lot of older folk don't know the latest connotations of a phrase they have used for 50 odd years. If they knew, they probably wouldn't say it. A couple of games ago the two old boys behind me were talking about Essex cricket at half time. They kept mentioning batsmen. I couldn't be bothered to interrupt them to tell them they can't say batsmen anymore. They meant no harm.
But that is the point. If anytime said to me “you can’t say batsmen any more”, I would say “actually you can, I have just said it and I will go on saying it”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back